Old 04-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Registered User

Question Temporary/Plastic greenhouse

I saw a picture recently of a simple plastic lean to greenhouse. Does anyone know where you can get these and how much they cost? (and if theyre any good)

It was green with a clear plastic cover and seemed to be made of metal tubes all slotted together. Does anyone else have one and are they any good?
Old 04-10-2005, 01:58 PM
Registered User

Location: Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanusesudomus
I saw a picture recently of a simple plastic lean to greenhouse. Does anyone know where you can get these and how much they cost? (and if theyre any good)

It was green with a clear plastic cover and seemed to be made of metal tubes all slotted together. Does anyone else have one and are they any good?
I've seen the type you describe in Lidl and/or Aldi (can't remember which) - I can't remember the cost, somewhere around €60 I think.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Mike Lyle

sherman wrote:
Romanusesudomus Wrote:
I saw a picture recently of a simple plastic lean to greenhouse.
Does anyone know where you can get these and how much they cost?
(and if theyre any good)

It was green with a clear plastic cover and seemed to be made of
metal tubes all slotted together. Does anyone else have one and

are
they any good?

I've seen the type you describe in Lidl and/or Aldi (can't remember
which) - I can't remember the cost, somewhere around ?60 I think.

I suspect it would be as cheap, or cheaper, to make one up yourself
with a simple wooden frame and rigid plastic sheet or Twinwall. It
would be a lot better, anyhow. A compromise would be a timber frame
and heavy-gauge polythene off the roll.

--
Mike.

Old 04-10-2005, 04:05 PM
Phil L

Mike Lyle wrote:
:: sherman wrote:
::: Romanusesudomus Wrote:
:::: I saw a picture recently of a simple plastic lean to greenhouse.
:::: Does anyone know where you can get these and how much they cost?
:::: (and if theyre any good)
::::
:::: It was green with a clear plastic cover and seemed to be made of
:::: metal tubes all slotted together. Does anyone else have one and are
:::: they any good?
:::
::: I've seen the type you describe in Lidl and/or Aldi (can't remember
::: which) - I can't remember the cost, somewhere around ?60 I think.
::
:: I suspect it would be as cheap, or cheaper, to make one up yourself
:: with a simple wooden frame and rigid plastic sheet or Twinwall. It
:: would be a lot better, anyhow. A compromise would be a timber frame
:: and heavy-gauge polythene off the roll.
::

I doubt you could get one as robust as this for less than £20, already made
up, I've seen them before, they just zip together:

http://snipurl.com/i5ge

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 04-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Mike

::

I doubt you could get one as robust as this for less than £20, already

made
up, I've seen them before, they just zip together:

http://snipurl.com/i5ge

We have one of these in the greenhouse as a sort of 'double glazing' thing
for the more delicate plants. However our neighbour have one outside!! Not
seen a winter through yet, BUT, we are South Coast Isle of Wight and do not
have tooooooooooooo much ttrouble with winters :-))

Mike

Old 04-10-2005, 04:39 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from sherman contains these words:
Romanusesudomus Wrote:
I saw a picture recently of a simple plastic lean to greenhouse. Does
anyone know where you can get these and how much they cost? (and if
theyre any good)

It was green with a clear plastic cover and seemed to be made of metal
tubes all slotted together. Does anyone else have one and are they any
good?

I've seen the type you describe in Lidl and/or Aldi (can't remember
which) - I can't remember the cost, somewhere around €60 I think.

I just stuck six eight-foot bamboos in the ground. crossed them over at
the top and lashed another bamboo in the crutches. Then I fixed three
spacers inside to bow the sides out into a church-window shape and
covered the lot with polythene from some carpet wrapping. The polythene
is held on with clothes pegs.

It's lasted the season, and tomatoes are ripening well, if a bit late.

Cost? Seven bamboos and a bit of time acquiring some pre-loved plastic
and baling twine, and some juggling with pegs on washing day....

--
Rusty
Old 05-10-2005, 11:42 AM
JB

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 15:37:28 +0000 (UTC), "Mike"
wrote:

::

I doubt you could get one as robust as this for less than £20, already

made
up, I've seen them before, they just zip together:

http://snipurl.com/i5ge

We have one of these in the greenhouse as a sort of 'double glazing' thing
for the more delicate plants. However our neighbour have one outside!! Not
seen a winter through yet, BUT, we are South Coast Isle of Wight and do not
have tooooooooooooo much ttrouble with winters :-))

Mike

We have a couple of those which we use late winter / spring to bring
seedlings on. Ours seem to survive the winter OK. The only problems
are that they are light weight so you need to put them next to a wall
or in a sheltered spot and they don't stand up well to lots of snow on
top.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:12 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanusesudomus
I saw a picture recently of a simple plastic lean to greenhouse. Does anyone know where you can get these and how much they cost? (and if theyre any good)

It was green with a clear plastic cover and seemed to be made of metal tubes all slotted together. Does anyone else have one and are they any good?
Hi, I am not sure if we have exactly what you are looking for but we have a range of lean-to and temporary greenhouses, cloches and cold frames in a variety of shapes and sizes. There might be something there that meets your requirements.

You can have a look at the range by following the link below:

http://www.gardenoasis.co.uk/tools-e...s-c-25_96.html

GardenOasis
Old 07-10-2005, 01:59 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanusesudomus
I saw a picture recently of a simple plastic lean to greenhouse. Does anyone know where you can get these and how much they cost? (and if theyre any good)

It was green with a clear plastic cover and seemed to be made of metal tubes all slotted together. Does anyone else have one and are they any good?
Hi

I have one. I have the 6 x 8 foot Greenhouse type one. In all honesty it was fine for the first year, although I did have to bubble wrap it in winter. This year I have started the process again and have found that the roof is starting to perrish. Small holes have appeared in the plastic.

I certainly wouldn't bother with one again, though I am having to make do with it this year, next year I can hopefully get myself a proper glass one.

Good as a stop gap, but the real thing is better.

Hope that helps

Catherine