Old 14-10-2005, 12:58 PM
capstan

Default Jalapino Chillies

Got just two plants in the GH and had a very good yield. I've picked loads
of red fruits, strung them on fishing line and hung them up to dry, but
there are still lots of full sized green ones left.
Now I need the ground space.....urgently.
If I pick the green ones will they then turn red (ish)...... or should I
leave them on uprooted plants and hang them upside down to mature....... or
are green ones just as good as red ?

Advice would be nice.

capstan.

Old 14-10-2005, 01:12 PM
p.k.

capstan wrote:
Got just two plants in the GH and had a very good yield. I've picked
loads of red fruits, strung them on fishing line and hung them up to
dry, but there are still lots of full sized green ones left.
Now I need the ground space.....urgently.
If I pick the green ones will they then turn red (ish)...... or
should I leave them on uprooted plants and hang them upside down to
mature....... or are green ones just as good as red ?

Freezing the green one is the best plan. They do not "block freeze" so just
dump into a placcy bag and place in freezer

pk

Old 14-10-2005, 01:53 PM
Paul

p.k. wrote:

capstan wrote:

Got just two plants in the GH and had a very good yield. I've picked
loads of red fruits, strung them on fishing line and hung them up to
dry, but there are still lots of full sized green ones left.
Now I need the ground space.....urgently.
If I pick the green ones will they then turn red (ish)...... or
should I leave them on uprooted plants and hang them upside down to
mature....... or are green ones just as good as red ?

Freezing the green one is the best plan. They do not "block freeze" so just
dump into a placcy bag and place in freezer

pk

I do that and when you want to cook with them just chop and add them
frozen

Paul
Old 17-10-2005, 08:23 AM
Tim C.

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:58:45 +0000 (UTC), capstan wrote:

Got just two plants in the GH and had a very good yield. I've picked loads
of red fruits, strung them on fishing line and hung them up to dry, but
there are still lots of full sized green ones left.
Now I need the ground space.....urgently.
If I pick the green ones will they then turn red (ish)...... or should I
leave them on uprooted plants and hang them upside down to mature....... or
are green ones just as good as red ?

Advice would be nice.

capstan.

They're just as good green. If it's a darkish green. That's the way they're
generally picked and sold anyway. I know some chilliheads that regard red
jalapenos as overripe.

--
Tim C.
Old 17-10-2005, 10:02 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message 1129533596.f475bbf88b0d32f1ecb90abf497533bb@teran ews
from "Tim C." contains these words:
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:58:45 +0000 (UTC), capstan wrote:

Got just two plants in the GH and had a very good yield. I've
picked loads
of red fruits, strung them on fishing line and hung them up to dry, but
there are still lots of full sized green ones left.
Now I need the ground space.....urgently.
If I pick the green ones will they then turn red (ish)...... or should I
leave them on uprooted plants and hang them upside down to
mature....... or
are green ones just as good as red ?

Advice would be nice.

They're just as good green. If it's a darkish green. That's the way they're
generally picked and sold anyway. I know some chilliheads that regard red
jalapenos as overripe.

That's good to know - so far I only have one almost ripe one and a lot
of long, plump, juicy green ones.

This time last year I was stringing ripe ones up and drying them. Four
plants were grown from last year's seed and live in a tub in their own
see-through Tardis [1¾] and one which survived last winter was pruned
down and has regrown - slowly.

[1¾] three windows screwed together and one which clips on the front,
either to enclose them fully, or to leave a ventilation gap, and a
polythene top which can also be turned back to provide a smaller vent.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 17-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Tim C.

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:02:47 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

[...]

As p.k. says you can freeze them. They do go mushy when thawed out, sou
they're only good for cooing. If you need to slice them, do it while
frozen. Works a treat.

--
Tim C.
Old 18-10-2005, 09:52 PM
sam

capstan wrote:
Got just two plants in the GH and had a very good yield. I've picked loads
of red fruits, strung them on fishing line and hung them up to dry, but
there are still lots of full sized green ones left.
Now I need the ground space.....urgently.
If I pick the green ones will they then turn red (ish)...... or should I
leave them on uprooted plants and hang them upside down to mature....... or
are green ones just as good as red ?

Advice would be nice.

capstan.

Yes, they will, especially if you put them on a sunny window-sill
indoors.(you can also save the seed for next year when you prepare them).
Sam.
Old 18-10-2005, 11:59 PM
Amber

I have been told that you can keep the chilli plants from year to year.
Is this wrong?

Old 19-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message . com
from "Amber" contains these words:

I have been told that you can keep the chilli plants from year to year.
Is this wrong?

You can, I have one from last year which survived some pretty severe neglect.

I hope to have a few more next year.

Old 19-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Tim C.

On 18 Oct 2005 15:59:41 -0700, Amber wrote:

I have been told that you can keep the chilli plants from year to year.
Is this wrong?

You can. I haven't had any last more than about 3 or 4 years though.
They'll probably drop their leaves but even if they don't they need a fair
amount of light, or they'll get sickly.
Aphids and spider mites are particular pests indoors.
--
Tim C.

Old 19-10-2005, 12:07 PM
Mike Lyle

Tim C. wrote:
On 18 Oct 2005 15:59:41 -0700, Amber wrote:

I have been told that you can keep the chilli plants from year to
year. Is this wrong?

You can. I haven't had any last more than about 3 or 4 years

though.
They'll probably drop their leaves but even if they don't they need

fair amount of light, or they'll get sickly.
Aphids and spider mites are particular pests indoors.

This seems to be a hardy perennial question. Do you and Rusty share
my experience that you get a bigger yield by growing chillies as
annuals? Or is it simply a matter of feeding them up properly after
the first year?

--
Mike.

Old 19-10-2005, 01:24 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

This seems to be a hardy perennial question. Do you and Rusty share
my experience that you get a bigger yield by growing chillies as
annuals?

Yes - that is y experience, and from seed this year the chillies
appeared earlier, though strangely, they are ripening sooner on the old
plant even though the new ones are under glass.

Or is it simply a matter of feeding them up properly after
the first year?

Both have been fed properly. The new ones are three feet high, and last
year's model was trimmed to a few inches after the winter, and has only
grown a few more, but bushed-out nicely.

I shall continue overwintering them, pruning where necessary or on a whim.

Old 20-10-2005, 10:14 PM
compo

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains these
words:
The message . com
from "Amber" contains these words:

I have been told that you can keep the chilli plants from year to year.
Is this wrong?

You can, I have one from last year which survived some pretty severe
neglect.
I hope to have a few more next year.
--
Rusty

I successfully overwintered two chilli plants last season only to lose
them to a very cold Spring! this year I have taken some indoors at work
where the temperature rarely falls below about 75° in old money.
Hopefully this will see them through the winter and early spring before
going back out to the tunnel.

Oddly though, there was no sign of aphids on the plants until a few days
after taking them indoors. They then became infested almost overnight
whilst those still in the tunnel remained aphid free.

--
Cheers,
Compo - Caithness

Chillies Not Flowering Sarah Dale United Kingdom 3 16-08-2003 12:33 AM
Chillies Kieron United Kingdom 7 27-07-2003 07:03 PM
Newbie: Growing chillies indoors sprocket United Kingdom 25 19-04-2003 05:44 PM
Newbie: Growing chillies indoors Martin Sykes Edible Gardening 3 24-02-2003 10:18 AM
Newbie: Growing chillies indoors Martin Sykes Gardening 2 24-02-2003 10:17 AM