Old 24-10-2005, 03:55 PM
WaltA

Default Artichokes

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 13:40:00 GMT, "Alan Holmes" wrote:

How do you make the 'stock'?

Dont use a cube :-)
Bring some bones to the boil then simmer for anything up to a couple
of hours, or thereabouts.
Chicken carcass works well with j.a. ( or even a whole chicken !)

The more marrow and/or meat that the bones have then the thicker will
be the stock or broth.
Traditionally beef marrow bones or pigs trotters or hocks were used
for stock but you dont often see them in the supermarket !

If you are vegetarian I believe that a thin stock can be made from
well, veggies

Old 24-10-2005, 04:06 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

1) Scrub and cook artichokes in enough water to cover them. Warm stock
up and liquidise together, along with some pepper and herbs. Simmer
together for a while. The water the artichokes as cooked in may be added
- despite its rather unattractive colour.

2) Scrub and slice artichokes, then liquidise along with the stock,
season, then cook together.

How do you make the 'stock'?

How do you usually make stock?

It depends what's to hand: usually it's something like the skin, gristle
and bones of bacon hocks, simmered for a long time in the juices the
hocks were cooked in; chicken carcase(s) rendered down; bones from (say)
saddle of lamb, or bones cadged from the butcher; the tougher layers of
onions, root vegetable peelings, potato peelings; outside sticks of
celery, outside leaves of cabbage, sprouts, etc, - the list is (almost)
endless.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 24-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Alan Holmes

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

1) Scrub and cook artichokes in enough water to cover them. Warm stock
up and liquidise together, along with some pepper and herbs. Simmer
together for a while. The water the artichokes as cooked in may be
added
- despite its rather unattractive colour.

2) Scrub and slice artichokes, then liquidise along with the stock,
season, then cook together.

How do you make the 'stock'?

How do you usually make stock?

I have no idea, which is why I asked the question!

It depends what's to hand: usually it's something like the skin, gristle
and bones of bacon hocks, simmered for a long time in the juices the
hocks were cooked in; chicken carcase(s) rendered down; bones from (say)
saddle of lamb, or bones cadged from the butcher; the tougher layers of
onions, root vegetable peelings, potato peelings; outside sticks of
celery, outside leaves of cabbage, sprouts, etc, - the list is (almost)
endless.

Thank you.

Although there has been some doubts about using beef bones from the time
when the cattle disease was rife, it had been suggested that the disease
could be passed to humans.

When I was small the best bit of sunday lunch was being able to eat the
marrow from the bones.

Alan

Old 24-10-2005, 06:32 PM
WaltA

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:53:31 +0100, we wrote:
If you are vegetarian I believe that a thin stock can be made from
well, veggies

And various fungi -

You may well be right, I like fungi, but not in my stocks and broths,
sorry.

and before you say 'Aren't they veggies, then?' - no

quite so

- they belong to a completely different class, and far above seeking a
phylum.

If I wasn't a republican I might start discussing Kingdoms

I'll get my coat.

Dons hat,,,
before being tempted to talk about Protista
(probably get arrested under the terrorism act if T.B. and pals were
conferring nearby)

Artichokes? Jan Flora Gardening 2 22-03-2003 10:56 PM
Have you ever grown Jerusalem Artichokes? Mike Davis Edible Gardening 7 13-03-2003 02:20 PM
Jerusalem Artichokes THECHILLIS United Kingdom 4 08-03-2003 09:27 PM
jerusalem artichokes Sue Chamberlain United Kingdom 6 22-02-2003 10:39 PM
Artichokes - What's in a name Dave Hunt United Kingdom 8 21-10-2002 09:38 PM