Old 23-10-2005, 02:23 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Artichokes

WaltA wrote:
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 10:35:01 +0100, "Mike Lyle" wrote:
Have they attracted other people's pheasants, as John Seymour says
they do?

Sadly, that should be "said" :-(

That's very sad: we lost contact a few years ago, and I had wondered
every now and then...

Stray pheasants wander into my garden where I grow ja,
but I am sure it is coincidence

Am I missing a joke ? Where and why did he say that ?

They do lend themselves well to jokes.

The thing was, as I remember it anyhow, that at one stage he lived in
a cottage provided by the owner of the shoot...not quite nice to help
oneself to the strays! He then established it as a principle of life
to grow JAs and let them flower.

--
Mike.

Old 23-10-2005, 02:44 PM
WaltA

Sadly, that should be "said" :-(

That's very sad: we lost contact a few years ago, and I had wondered
every now and then...

Nice obit./tribute here :
http://www.smallholder.co.uk/the_wes...S_PEOPLE6.html

if that wraps and you cant get it joined back up then go to
http://www.smallholder.co.uk/
on the left menu go to "People" then scroll down to the last item and
click on "Remembering John Seymour"

Stray pheasants wander into my garden where I grow ja,
but I am sure it is coincidence
Am I missing a joke ? Where and why did he say that ?
They do lend themselves well to jokes.

The thing was, as I remember it anyhow, that at one stage he lived in
a cottage provided by the owner of the shoot...not quite nice to help
oneself to the strays!

Oh I dunno ! I do but then, I own my place

He then established it as a principle of life
to grow JAs and let them flower.

Thanks.

Old 23-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Jiri Borsky

WaltA wrote:

Alan : if you get to like them then for future ref. there are some
much more errrm 'regular' varieties which you could grow.
Fuseau, for example, is long elliptical (? *) and reasonably smooth.
There is another, that I dont know the name of, which turns up in our
local veg shop from time to time which is reasonably spherical.

I grow all three.

* ovoid ? (What is the name for the solid of revolution of an ellipse
?)

Ellipsoid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsoid

Jiri Borsky

Old 23-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Gregoire Kretz

Ophelia wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
Found a lot of Jerusalem artichokes this year and turned to Mrs Beeton
who says, 'Wash the artichokes and peel them'!

How the hell do you peel such an irregular shaped root?

With a great deal of care and as thinly as possible)

Right.

You're then supposed to make soup - but how? Just boil in salted water
then liquidize?

Greg

--
Been there, done that, ate the terrine, got the cookbook

No spam: ficus = no(n)
Old 23-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Ophelia

"Gregoire Kretz" wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
Found a lot of Jerusalem artichokes this year and turned to Mrs
Beeton
who says, 'Wash the artichokes and peel them'!

How the hell do you peel such an irregular shaped root?

With a great deal of care and as thinly as possible)

Right.

You're then supposed to make soup - but how? Just boil in salted water
then liquidize?

This one sounds nice:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/c...p,1082,RC.html

Old 23-10-2005, 09:46 PM
CK

Ophelia wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
Found a lot of Jerusalem artichokes this year and turned to Mrs Beeton
who says, 'Wash the artichokes and peel them'!

How the hell do you peel such an irregular shaped root?

With a great deal of care and as thinly as possible)

Right.

You're then supposed to make soup - but how? Just boil in salted water
then liquidize?

Greg

Hi all,
I am surprised that no-one has mentioned my favourite way of cooking
Jerusalem Artichokes, which is roasting them.

Clean and parboil. Slip off the skins. Roast for approx 40mins (slightly
depending on size).
They go a lovely golden colour and taste fabulous, and also have the most
wonderful texture, kind of silky!

ALSO ~ try them this way.......
Clean and parboil. Slip off the skins. Boil 'til tender but not
disintegrated.
Drain well and cool. Chop into even size largish pieces. Coat with a thick
vinaigrette made with extra Dijon mustard. Chill for about 1 hourish,.
Serve cold as a starter with chopped chives or parsley on top.

Cheers,
Chris in Somerset

Old 23-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Ophelia

Ophelia wrote:

[...]

Yep all totally delicious) I never mentioned them cos I thought he
wanted soup)))

Old 23-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Alan Holmes

"CK" . wanadoo.co.uk wrote
in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
Found a lot of Jerusalem artichokes this year and turned to Mrs Beeton
who says, 'Wash the artichokes and peel them'!

How the hell do you peel such an irregular shaped root?

With a great deal of care and as thinly as possible)

Right.

You're then supposed to make soup - but how? Just boil in salted water
then liquidize?

Greg

Hi all,
I am surprised that no-one has mentioned my favourite way of cooking
Jerusalem Artichokes, which is roasting them.

Clean and parboil. Slip off the skins.

This is the bit I don't understand, when I cooked them with the skins on,
the 'skin', when I tried to remove it, was nearly a qusrter of an inch
thick, nothing like boiling potatoes in their skins when they do slip off
very easily.

Alan

Old 23-10-2005, 11:05 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

This is the bit I don't understand, when I cooked them with the skins on,
the 'skin', when I tried to remove it, was nearly a qusrter of an inch
thick, nothing like boiling potatoes in their skins when they do slip off
very easily.

I'd have put the thickness more like a sixteenth of an inch...

Mind you, you can always eat the insides as a vegetable and liquidise
the skins (and the layer underneath) for soup.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 24-10-2005, 02:26 AM
WaltA

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 08:51:02 -0400, "Harold Walker" wrote:
.. On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 00:02:27 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
I do like Jerusalem artichokes.

So do I cos they make a lovely home made wine...H

Really * ? You're not pulling our legs** !?
I've not tried that, but parsnip is (surprisingly) quite good.

* I've not heard any 'reports' about that (quiet in the back row
RustyJaques)

** I knew a winemaker a long time ago who made BrusselSproutWine
special reserve ! = 'special for visitors wot he didnt specially
want to see agin :-)) (no, I know what you are thinking, but we
parted because the company we worked for broke up and we went our
various ways round the world ! )
Old 24-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

Hiya Rusty) *waves*

HiyOpheeeeeeelya!

Woewwwww - Opheeeeeeeel-ia, I'm down on my knees,
I'm begging you please to come home...

Oops! Wrong song!

Waves back. (No, not for *THAT* reason!)

Artichokes? Jan Flora Gardening 2 22-03-2003 10:56 PM
Have you ever grown Jerusalem Artichokes? Mike Davis Edible Gardening 7 13-03-2003 02:20 PM
Jerusalem Artichokes THECHILLIS United Kingdom 4 08-03-2003 09:27 PM
jerusalem artichokes Sue Chamberlain United Kingdom 6 22-02-2003 10:39 PM
Artichokes - What's in a name Dave Hunt United Kingdom 8 21-10-2002 09:38 PM