Old 23-10-2005, 11:28 PM
Steve Newport

Default Fungus

The current article on honey fungus interested me. Suggestions about
cooking and eating.

I used to pick my own wild mushrooms and I know that puff balls are
edible but would never be confident enough to identify and eat wild
fungus.

Is there a good online resource on identifying fungus?
Old 23-10-2005, 11:56 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Steve Newport contains these words:

The current article on honey fungus interested me. Suggestions about
cooking and eating.

I used to pick my own wild mushrooms and I know that puff balls are
edible but would never be confident enough to identify and eat wild
fungus.

Is there a good online resource on identifying fungus?

Post pics to a website and ask for id. in alt.nature.mushrooms

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 24-10-2005, 10:45 AM
gentlegreen

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from Steve Newport contains these words:

The current article on honey fungus interested me. Suggestions about
cooking and eating.

I used to pick my own wild mushrooms and I know that puff balls are
edible but would never be confident enough to identify and eat wild
fungus.

Is there a good online resource on identifying fungus?

Post pics to a website and ask for id. in alt.nature.mushrooms

Roger Phillips is a highly acclaimed author and his entire book appears to
be online :-)

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/

Old 24-10-2005, 12:28 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "gentlegreen" contains these words:

Roger Phillips is a highly acclaimed author and his entire book appears to
be online :-)

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/

While it is a very good book, mushrooms are so variable in shape and
colour that you might pass a pic in the book without seeing the
similarity with the specimen you are trying to identify.

There is no substitute for your own experience and that of others - one
could often write huge tomes on a single species, and illustrate it with
dozens of varying forms and coloration depending on the clone, the
weather, the timeof year, the conditions where found, the conditions
when found, the age of the specimen and what it's been attacked or eaten
by.

Old 24-10-2005, 01:51 PM
gentlegreen

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "gentlegreen" contains these words:

Roger Phillips is a highly acclaimed author and his entire book appears

be online :-)

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/

While it is a very good book, mushrooms are so variable in shape and
colour that you might pass a pic in the book without seeing the
similarity with the specimen you are trying to identify.

There is no substitute for your own experience and that of others - one
could often write huge tomes on a single species, and illustrate it with
dozens of varying forms and coloration depending on the clone, the
weather, the timeof year, the conditions where found, the conditions
when found, the age of the specimen and what it's been attacked or eaten
by.

I fully concur.

I'm even nervous about buying dried mushrooms in the supermarket so Paul
Stamets is my preferred source - find a mushroom you like and cultivate it.
My brother has bought a small paddock with lots of poplar that needs felling
so I will doubtless be growing mushrooms on it.

Apart from the risk of destroying your liver, there are usually things
living in wild fungi .....

That said I will hopefully be going on a foray soon - maybe after a few
years I may seek out one or two species I can be confident about.

Old 24-10-2005, 04:33 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from "gentlegreen" contains these words:

/chop/

That said I will hopefully be going on a foray soon - maybe after a few
years I may seek out one or two species I can be confident about.

Acquire a stack of elder wood - any thickness - if you haven't got Jew's
Ear on it already, it's dead easy to inoculate it. Build the stack in a
shaded place, the damper the better.

Tramp around until you find an elder with small slightly translucent
chocolate coloured ear-shaped fungi, bring home as much of it as you
can, cut it into short lengths and distribute them about the stack.

Google for Auricularia auricula-judae - AKA - Hirneola auricula-judae.

And, if you are really interested in growing your own, morels may be
grown on the pulp from cidermaking, and several other species on oak and
poplar. I commend Chapter 7 (Mushroom growing) of Dr. John Ramsbottom's
excellent (if elderly) book, Mushrooms and Toadstools, in Collins' New
Naturalist series. A lot of the latin names used are out of date, thogh
generally recognised as alternatives.

Old 25-10-2005, 04:45 AM
WaltA

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:28:32 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

While it is a very good book, mushrooms are so variable in shape and
colour that you might pass a pic in the book without seeing the
similarity with the specimen you are trying to identify.

and so variable in location and growing conditions,
which is why we created the usenet newsgroup free.uk.nature.mushroom
so as not to get mingled with, and at xporpoises with, the n.american
crowd on the alt.* heirararchy

Old 25-10-2005, 05:03 AM
WaltA

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 03:45:42 GMT,WaltA wrote:
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:28:32 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
While it is a very good book, mushrooms are so variable in shape and
colour that you might pass a pic in the book without seeing the
similarity with the specimen you are trying to identify.

and so variable in location and growing conditions,
which is why we created the usenet newsgroup free.uk.nature.mushroom
so as not to get mingled with, and at xporpoises with, the n.american
crowd on the alt.* heirararchy

ooops,,, I meant to include your ref to
alt.nature.mushrooms

( vs. free.uk.nature.mushroom)
not out of xenophobia,
more because of local interest/relevance

Old 25-10-2005, 02:57 PM
gentlegreen

[...]

Back in the spring a really nice flush of black morels came up in some
fairly recently applied ornamental bark in a nearby garden - I'm assuming it
was as the result of sclerotia having been scooped up with the bark.
I was a little wary of trying them due to rumoured incompatibility with
alcohol.
Very attractive they looked too :-

http://uk.geocities.com/gentlegreeng...orellowres.JPG

Old 25-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from "gentlegreen" contains these words:

Back in the spring a really nice flush of black morels came up in some
fairly recently applied ornamental bark in a nearby garden - I'm assuming it
was as the result of sclerotia having been scooped up with the bark.
I was a little wary of trying them due to rumoured incompatibility with
alcohol.
Very attractive they looked too :-

http://uk.geocities.com/gentlegreeng...orellowres.JPG

They often come up on bark mulch.

Old 25-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from "gentlegreen" contains these words:

I was a little wary of trying them due to rumoured incompatibility with
alcohol.
Very attractive they looked too :-

http://uk.geocities.com/gentlegreeng...orellowres.JPG

I forgot to add - Morchella elata.

AFAIK it has no adverse reaction with alcohol. The only commonly eaten
mushroom (that refers to mushroom as a food rather than a recreational
activity) which is incpmpatible with alcohol that I know of is Coprinus
atramentarius (common ink cap - not the shaggy ink cap, or lawyer's
wig).

Old 25-10-2005, 04:52 PM
WaltA

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:58:51 +0100, Janet & I wrote:
and so variable in location and growing conditions,
which is why we created the usenet newsgroup free.uk.nature.mushroom
so as not to get mingled with, and at xporpoises with, the n.american
crowd on the alt.* heirararchy

How do you subscribe to this group? I can only find alt.nature.mushrooms
which is presumably the one you say is dominated by US members/concerns.

Ooops, sorry my bad typing, as Rusty has pointed out it should be
free.uk.nature.mushrooms

If he has only just requested that it be added to your server then
you'll have to keep updating your list till it appears.
Or when R. tells you that it has been added

Last year, fungus fungus everywhere Natalka Rosalia Maria Roshak Edible Gardening 5 26-01-2005 06:26 PM
Honey fungus and wood chips John Towill United Kingdom 2 24-04-2003 07:44 PM
fungus in Sydney garden Richard Wright Australia 0 29-03-2003 03:20 PM
Rose Fungus question Campbe4 Roses 11 11-03-2003 10:33 PM
Oak root fungus? Susan Solomon Roses 1 20-02-2003 06:03 PM