Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
steve Snider

Default chamomile lawn

Hi,

I've taken a fancy to planting up a small chamomile lawn. From what
I've read it's best to use chamomile trenegue, but does anyone know
where I can get it from - I've seen the occasional plant at the odd
nursery/online at around £1.50 a plant but that works out expensive
even for a small area.

Also, has anyone any practical experience of using it as a lawn - I
was wondering how practical it really was, it wouldn't be heavily used
(we won't be playing 5 a side football on it!), just the odd day
lounging in the sun on it.

Thanks
Steve.
Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Natalie

"steve Snider" wrote in message
Hi,

I've taken a fancy to planting up a small chamomile lawn. From what
I've read it's best to use chamomile trenegue, but does anyone know
where I can get it from - I've seen the occasional plant at the odd
nursery/online at around £1.50 a plant but that works out expensive
even for a small area.

Also, has anyone any practical experience of using it as a lawn - I
was wondering how practical it really was, it wouldn't be heavily used
(we won't be playing 5 a side football on it!), just the odd day
lounging in the sun on it.

Thanks
Steve.

Chamomile lawns are lovely but they are expensive to grow. I've bought a
few plants from a local garden nursery and think I paid between 99p and
£1.50 for them. I wanted them to cover a log seat but they have never
really taken off :-(

Natalie

Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
June Hughes

In article , Natalie
writes

Chamomile lawns are lovely but they are expensive to grow. I've bought a
few plants from a local garden nursery and think I paid between 99p and
£1.50 for them. I wanted them to cover a log seat but they have never
really taken off :-(

I have had varying success with camomile. After a huge failure, Chris
Boulby suggested I use fleece to over-winter it and this proved to be
successful, thanks to Chris's advice. However, camomile seems to be
very temperamental and - in my case - needs to be carefully watched.
Having said that, I planted some last year in a shallow aluminium
container and it is now thriving, despite Bas having dumped some solid
detergent from the kitchen drain in the pot. It is well worth the
effort. The smell is divine. Keep at it
--
June Hughes
Old 18-03-2003, 10:44 AM
Warwick Dumas

"steve Snider" wrote in message
Hi,

I've taken a fancy to planting up a small chamomile lawn. From what
I've read it's best to use chamomile trenegue, but does anyone know
where I can get it from - I've seen the occasional plant at the odd
nursery/online at around £1.50 a plant but that works out expensive
even for a small area.

Sow? For some reason, what T&M market as chamomile lawn is chameamelum
nobile, or anthemis nobilis, not trenegue, but anyway it cost me about 2.49
for a packet.

It's a good thing you just said this, because it reminds me to water my seed
tray (which has well over 100 plants in it). I would say that if you got
hold of it right now then there's still time to sow this year. (Actually the
packet says Feb-June but I don't trust that.)

Also, has anyone any practical experience of using it as a lawn - I
was wondering how practical it really was, it wouldn't be heavily used
(we won't be playing 5 a side football on it!), just the odd day
lounging in the sun on it.

No, haven't got there yet.

Old 19-03-2003, 02:08 AM
Hussein M.

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:27:39 -0000, "Warwick Dumas"
wrotc:

Also, has anyone any practical experience of using it as a lawn - I
was wondering how practical it really was, it wouldn't be heavily used
(we won't be playing 5 a side football on it!), just the odd day
lounging in the sun on it.

No, haven't got there yet.

Ho hum. I believe I have a Chamaemelum nobile and it is quite the
most untidy plant in the garden. Sure it stays low - but that is only
because the flowers are borne on such long and lax stems that the
plant can't lift itself off the floor where it sprawls drunkenly and
seemingly not such a good weed suppressant. It has it's charm for me
by adding a touch of chaos to the upright architectural stuff. That,
mind you is the description of my one plant and doesn't make allowance
for many planted in a sward.

I have searched Google for mention of A. trenegue but can't find
reference to it let alone a picture (looked under 'Chamaemelum' too).

The name is familiar to me though - precisely for the reason someone
has mentioned - that it is the best for lawns.

Hussein

Grow a little garden

Old 19-03-2003, 08:20 AM
Natalie

Ho hum. I believe I have a Chamaemelum nobile and it is quite the
most untidy plant in the garden. Sure it stays low - but that is only
because the flowers are borne on such long and lax stems that the
plant can't lift itself off the floor where it sprawls drunkenly and
seemingly not such a good weed suppressant. It has it's charm for me
by adding a touch of chaos to the upright architectural stuff. That,
mind you is the description of my one plant and doesn't make allowance
for many planted in a sward.

I have searched Google for mention of A. trenegue but can't find
reference to it let alone a picture (looked under 'Chamaemelum' too).

The name is familiar to me though - precisely for the reason someone
has mentioned - that it is the best for lawns.

I found this by searching chamomile lawn tenegue.

http://www.herbherbert.com/pdf/chamomile_lawn.pdf

HTH

Natalie

Old 19-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Chris Hogg

wrote:

"steve Snider" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I've taken a fancy to planting up a small chamomile lawn. From what
I've read it's best to use chamomile trenegue, but does anyone know
where I can get it from - I've seen the occasional plant at the odd
nursery/online at around £1.50 a plant but that works out expensive
even for a small area.

Sow? For some reason, what T&M market as chamomile lawn is chameamelum
nobile, or anthemis nobilis, not trenegue, but anyway it cost me about 2.49
for a packet.

Treneague is a non-flowering variety of c. nobile (which AIUI is why
people prefer it for chamomile lawns) so you never get seed from it.

--
Chris

Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
steve Snider

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 02:06:36 +0000, Hussein M.
wrote:

[...]

The advantage of Trenegue (so I've read somewhere) is that becuase
there are no flowers then it avoids the "untidiness" problem of
chamomile nobile as there are no long flower stems which, of course,
also means that you don't have to worry about mowing/clipping as it
never gets tall enough. Sounds like my type of lawn!

Steve.

Chamomile lawn UD United Kingdom 1 15-07-2009 05:12 PM
A Chamomile lawn? Michael Bell United Kingdom 6 22-02-2007 04:06 PM
Chamomile lawn UD United Kingdom 3 27-05-2006 10:48 AM
chamomile lawn Dave Arthuro United Kingdom 2 25-04-2003 03:20 PM
Chamomile Lawn Natalie United Kingdom 3 07-04-2003 02:56 PM