Old 25-10-2005, 02:21 PM
DM

Default Tree recommendations please!

We would like to plant a tree in the front garden of our three bed semi.

We would be grateful for suggestions for trees that fulfill the following
criteria:

1. It must be a tree that will not grow very tall.

2. It must have a crown that is not too dense, thus blocking light.

3. It must have foliage that changes colour through the seasons.

The garden faces due east, but in summer the sun would shine on the front of
the garden, where we will plant the tree, for most of the day.

Some variety of acer has been suggested.

What do others think?

Many thanks.

D. (a beginner)

Old 25-10-2005, 02:51 PM
Andy

"DM" -anti spam wrote in message
We would like to plant a tree in the front garden of our three bed semi.

We would be grateful for suggestions for trees that fulfill the following
criteria:

1. It must be a tree that will not grow very tall.

2. It must have a crown that is not too dense, thus blocking light.

3. It must have foliage that changes colour through the seasons.

The garden faces due east, but in summer the sun would shine on the front
of the garden, where we will plant the tree, for most of the day.

Some variety of acer has been suggested.

What do others think?

Many thanks.

D. (a beginner)

One of the varieties of Rowan, check out the ones with the best autumn
colours.

Andy.

Old 25-10-2005, 02:53 PM
DM

Should have said that I live in (very temperate) Ireland.

Thanks.

D.

Old 25-10-2005, 02:58 PM
Emrys Davies

"DM" -anti spam wrote in message
We would like to plant a tree in the front garden of our three bed

semi.

We would be grateful for suggestions for trees that fulfill the

following
criteria:

1. It must be a tree that will not grow very tall.

2. It must have a crown that is not too dense, thus blocking light.

3. It must have foliage that changes colour through the seasons.

The garden faces due east, but in summer the sun would shine on the

front of
the garden, where we will plant the tree, for most of the day.

Some variety of acer has been suggested.

What do others think?

Many thanks.

D. (a beginner)

The crown of an acer is quite dense and the mid-day sun and east winds
would tend to scorch it somewhat, but Acer Palmatum Atropurpureum
http://www.daylilyparadise.com/japanesemaplered.jpg
tends to do quite well in the conditions which you have described.

More choice: http://tinyurl.com/c9ykn

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 25-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "DM" -anti spam contains these words:

Some variety of acer has been suggested.

What do others think?

Winter viburnum?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 25-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Tumbleweed

"DM" -anti spam wrote in message
We would like to plant a tree in the front garden of our three bed semi.

We would be grateful for suggestions for trees that fulfill the following
criteria:

1. It must be a tree that will not grow very tall.

A bonsai

2. It must have a crown that is not too dense, thus blocking light.

A bonsai

3. It must have foliage that changes colour through the seasons.

An acer bonsai

The garden faces due east, but in summer the sun would shine on the front
of the garden, where we will plant the tree, for most of the day.

Some variety of acer has been suggested.

Bingo!

FWIW we have a 3ft acer in a pot at the front of our house, the pot
restricts its growth nicely,and it seems to do well, it is east facing and
gets sun until noon-mid afternoon depending on the time of year, I am sure a
slightly larger one would do just as well. Out of a pot you'd need to keep
up with pruning or get a suitable variety.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 25-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Andy
writes

"DM" -anti spam wrote in message
We would like to plant a tree in the front garden of our three bed semi.

We would be grateful for suggestions for trees that fulfill the following
criteria:

1. It must be a tree that will not grow very tall.

2. It must have a crown that is not too dense, thus blocking light.

3. It must have foliage that changes colour through the seasons.

The garden faces due east, but in summer the sun would shine on the front
of the garden, where we will plant the tree, for most of the day.

Some variety of acer has been suggested.

What do others think?

Many thanks.

D. (a beginner)

One of the varieties of Rowan, check out the ones with the best autumn
colours.

Or a birch, if the yellow autumn colour is acceptable. There's some
rowans with interesting bark, for winter interest, but more birches.
(But perhaps a birch grows too tall in the long run.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 25-10-2005, 06:47 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "DM" -anti spam contains these words:

We would like to plant a tree in the front garden of our three bed semi.

We would be grateful for suggestions for trees that fulfill the following
criteria:

1. It must be a tree that will not grow very tall.

2. It must have a crown that is not too dense, thus blocking light.

3. It must have foliage that changes colour through the seasons.

One of the sorbus/rowan family. Hardy, trouble free, three seasons of
attraction and feeds birds.
Unlike acer.

Janet
Old 25-10-2005, 06:49 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Stewart Robert Hinsley contains these words:

Or a birch, if the yellow autumn colour is acceptable. There's some
rowans with interesting bark, for winter interest, but more birches.
(But perhaps a birch grows too tall in the long run.)

I expect it would grow too tall in the short run.

Old 26-10-2005, 09:14 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaques d'Alltrades

what about an albizia (silk tree), lovely foliage not too dense, beautiful flowers.
Old 26-10-2005, 02:19 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:21:10 +0100, "DM"
-anti spam wrote:

We would like to plant a tree in the front garden of our three bed semi.

We would be grateful for suggestions for trees that fulfill the following
criteria:

1. It must be a tree that will not grow very tall.

2. It must have a crown that is not too dense, thus blocking light.

3. It must have foliage that changes colour through the seasons.

The garden faces due east, but in summer the sun would shine on the front of
the garden, where we will plant the tree, for most of the day.

Some variety of acer has been suggested.

What do others think?

How about amelancier? Good size, not too dense, white flowers in
spring, and autumn colour.

Pam in Bristol
Old 26-10-2005, 02:23 PM
middleton.walker

-anti spam wrote:

We would like to plant a tree in the front garden of our three bed semi.

We would be grateful for suggestions for trees that fulfill the following
criteria:

1. It must be a tree that will not grow very tall.

2. It must have a crown that is not too dense, thus blocking light.

3. It must have foliage that changes colour through the seasons.

The garden faces due east, but in summer the sun would shine on the front
of
the garden, where we will plant the tree, for most of the day.

Some variety of acer has been suggested.

What do others think?

How about amelancier? Good size, not too dense, white flowers in
spring, and autumn colour.

Pam in Bristol

plus berries for the birds.....H

Old 26-10-2005, 02:33 PM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:23:10 -0400, "middleton.walker"
wrote:

How about amelancier? Good size, not too dense, white flowers in
spring, and autumn colour.

Pam in Bristol

The ones I've seen and experienced seldom seem to set fruit. Not sure
why. I was ready to try eating the aberries if they appeared.

plus berries for the birds.....H

Pam in Bristol
Old 26-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Kay

In article , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

How about amelancier? Good size, not too dense, white flowers in
spring, and autumn colour.

Pam in Bristol

The ones I've seen and experienced seldom seem to set fruit. Not sure
why. I was ready to try eating the aberries if they appeared.

plus berries for the birds.....H

Mine produces a lot - but they do get very quickly taken by birds
--
Kay