Old 11-04-2007, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default tree recommendations please?

I am looking for recommendations as to a suitable (memorial) tree to
be planted in a sea-side location in the NW of Ireland, exposed to
salty winds (well, all kinds of winds, really). The ground conditions
are ericaceous (can't remember whether that's acid of alkaline, so
apologies to the experts) and can be soggy for much of the year. The
tree should be attractive, and obviously tough as old boots... Other
things that grow naturally on the site in question include fuschia
(magellanica, I think, naturalised) and salix.
I would be very, very grateful for your expert advice.
Thanking you all in advance!

Cat(h)

Old 12-04-2007, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com,
"Cat(h)" writes
I am looking for recommendations as to a suitable (memorial) tree to
be planted in a sea-side location in the NW of Ireland, exposed to
salty winds (well, all kinds of winds, really). The ground conditions
are ericaceous (can't remember whether that's acid of alkaline, so
apologies to the experts) and can be soggy for much of the year. The
tree should be attractive, and obviously tough as old boots... Other
things that grow naturally on the site in question include fuschia
(magellanica, I think, naturalised) and salix.
I would be very, very grateful for your expert advice.
Thanking you all in advance!

Cat(h)

I was expecting someone with more experience of coastal locations to
have chimed in, but since no-one has, I suggest Griselinia littoralis,
which grows right up against the Atlantic coast in places (e.g. Arduaine
in Argyll).

I don't know about its soil tolerances, so you'd want to check this out.

Whether it (or the variegated cultivar 'Bantry Bay') is attractive is a
matter of taste - I'm not a great fan. Whether it's a tree is perhaps
also debatable; you could describe it more as a giant bush.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 12-04-2007, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/4/07 17:24, in article lid, "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message .com,
"Cat(h)" writes
[...]

Griselinia is certainly very salt tolerant, as is tamarisk but I don't think
I'd think of them as trees, myself. Eucalypts might fit the bill and don't
mind soggy. I've seen Cupressus macrocarpa grown quite close to the sea but
as we've just seen one blown down and one cut down today from the
churchyard, I don't know that they'd be considered safe for very windy
locations, too.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-04-2007, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 12/4/07 17:24, in article lid, "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message .com,
"Cat(h)" writes
[...]

Eucalypts are fairly notorious for blowing over - I seem to recall a
saying on the lines of the bigger the stake the bigger the eucalyptus
when it's blown over. But there many different types of eucalyptus.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 12-04-2007, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 12/4/07 19:09, in article lid, "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes

,snip

Griselinia is certainly very salt tolerant, as is tamarisk but I don't think
I'd think of them as trees, myself. Eucalypts might fit the bill and don't
mind soggy. I've seen Cupressus macrocarpa grown quite close to the sea but
as we've just seen one blown down and one cut down today from the
churchyard, I don't know that they'd be considered safe for very windy
locations, too.

Eucalypts are fairly notorious for blowing over - I seem to recall a
saying on the lines of the bigger the stake the bigger the eucalyptus
when it's blown over. But there many different types of eucalyptus.

You're right - they do blow over easily and I should have thought of that.
This one's a bit of a problem! I'm beginning to think that a sculpture of
a tree might be easier! ;-)

I wondered about Plagianthus or Hoheria, but I don't know how they'd
behave in coastal locations. Plagianthus regius is quite elegant, and
grows in the Chathams, so it should be cold and wind tolerant.

There's some other tree-sized mallows that grow in coastal locations,
but I'd doubt that any would be hardy.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Pla...agianthus.html
Old 12-04-2007, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Some oaks and pines grow right on sea coasts; whether they would take
the worst that location can throw at them is less clear.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 12, 7:29 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 12/4/07 19:09, in article , "Stewart Robert

Hinsley" wrote:
In message , Sacha
writes

,snip

Griselinia is certainly very salt tolerant, as is tamarisk but I don't think
I'd think of them as trees, myself. Eucalypts might fit the bill and don't
mind soggy. I've seen Cupressus macrocarpa grown quite close to the sea but
as we've just seen one blown down and one cut down today from the
churchyard, I don't know that they'd be considered safe for very windy
locations, too.

Eucalypts are fairly notorious for blowing over - I seem to recall a
saying on the lines of the bigger the stake the bigger the eucalyptus
when it's blown over. But there many different types of eucalyptus.

You're right - they do blow over easily and I should have thought of that.
This one's a bit of a problem! I'm beginning to think that a sculpture of
a tree might be easier! ;-)

Thank you Sacha and Stewart for your suggestions.
You may well have a point about the statue... the area is really
battered by winds and storms. It does have some sheltered little
areas, though, where some short trees do grow.
I have done a little research on the matter, and would rather go with
native tree/big shrubs than some fancy exotic thing, which will just
look wrong in the area.
I have thought of things like mountain ash, maybe holly, maybe black
or white thorn? I have seen the former two in some areas near the
site where the tree will eventually stand (let's hope), but I'm not
absolutely sure about the latter, and intend to check it out in coming
weeks.
I also quite like the fact that many of those native trees have quite
a baggage of interesting celtic myths and piseogs (I'm no gaelic
scholar, but my understanding of that word is "superstitions").

Anyway, any rugged and windy seaside gardening expert's advice would
be most appreciated.

Thanks again!

Cat(h)

Old 12-04-2007, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com,
"Cat(h)" writes
On Apr 12, 7:29 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 12/4/07 19:09, in article , "Stewart Robert

Hinsley" wrote:
In message , Sacha
writes

,snip

[...]

Hawthorn (is that what you mean by whitethorn?) will get sculpted by the
prevailing salt-laden winds in your location.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 12-04-2007, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| Hawthorn (is that what you mean by whitethorn?) will get sculpted by the
| prevailing salt-laden winds in your location.

Yes, whitethorn is hawthorn. It isn't common in such conditions
in the wild, so I suspect that it doesn't love them. Blackthorn
(sloe) is almost happy with gale-driven salt spray, but isn't
really a tree, and isn't even a large shrub under those conditions!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 12, 9:48 pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message .com,
"Cat(h)" writes

On Apr 12, 7:29 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 12/4/07 19:09, in article , "Stewart Robert

Hinsley" wrote:
In message , Sacha
writes
,snip

[...]

Yes, whitethorn is hawthorn. And even the moss is sculpted by the
prevailing salt-laden winds in this location :-)

This is a willow (I think) a couple of miles away, and it's pretty
upright by local standards.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=3zbu6ua

Cat(h)

Old 13-04-2007, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/4/07 23:24, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

snip

This is a willow (I think) a couple of miles away, and it's pretty
upright by local standards.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=3zbu6ua

Cat(h)

Instead of a tree which might well give up the struggle, is a seat a
possibility - a bench where people who also enjoy that place and its views
would remember the person to be commemorated?

Old 13-04-2007, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 13, 12:02 am, Sacha wrote:
On 12/4/07 23:24, in article
. com, "Cat(h)"

wrote:

snip

This is a willow (I think) a couple of miles away, and it's pretty
upright by local standards.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=3zbu6ua

Cat(h)

Instead of a tree which might well give up the struggle, is a seat a
possibility - a bench where people who also enjoy that place and its views
would remember the person to be commemorated?
--

That is not my call, and the people concerned are keen on something
living. As I said before, certain things *do* grow there, and given a

Cat(h)

Old 13-04-2007, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com,
"Cat(h)" writes
On Apr 13, 12:02 am, Sacha wrote:
On 12/4/07 23:24, in article
. com, "Cat(h)"

wrote:

snip

This is a willow (I think) a couple of miles away, and it's pretty
upright by local standards.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=3zbu6ua

Cat(h)

Instead of a tree which might well give up the struggle, is a seat a
possibility - a bench where people who also enjoy that place and its views
would remember the person to be commemorated?
--

That is not my call, and the people concerned are keen on something
living. As I said before, certain things *do* grow there, and given a
little shelter belt or such, I think it is not beyond possible. It
may sound like a lot of bother, but it is worth trying, as it is very
important to the people concerned.
Thank you Sacha, and all, for your kind suggestions!

Cat(h)

If you could give us some more details on the site, such as how far from
the coast it is, what direction the sea is from the site, whether it's
on a headland or a bay, etc. All this will make a difference; 10 feet
from the high tide line, on a headland in the teeth of westerly gales,
is different from 50 feet back from the coast, in a sheltered
east-facing location.

In some locations very little, if anything, in the way of trees will
survive; in others you could possibly even grown palms (Trachycarpus)
and pseudo-palms (Cordyline).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 13-04-2007, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| In some locations very little, if anything, in the way of trees will
| survive; in others you could possibly even grown palms (Trachycarpus)
| and pseudo-palms (Cordyline).

Indeed. I don't know what the most resistant plants would be, but
the only 'near tree' that I have seen growing on the most salt- and
wind-swept headlands has been blackthorn.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.