Old 31-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Garden Yogurt, anyone tried it?

Anyone tried this product?

http://www.gardenyogurt.co.uk/

read one good report in the KG but how about URGlers?

--
Regards
Bob

Old 31-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:
| Anyone tried this product?
|
| http://www.gardenyogurt.co.uk/
|
| read one good report in the KG but how about URGlers?

I swear by Shark and Skinner's Original and Only Snake Oil,
myself.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-10-2005, 05:22 PM
michael adams

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Anyone tried this product?

http://www.gardenyogurt.co.uk/

read one good report in the KG but how about URGlers?

--
Regards
Bob
In Runnymede, 17 miles West of London

To paraphrase slightly, according to the website, gardenyogurt (£29.99
for sufficient to cover 500 square metres ) encourages those micro-organisms
in the soil which have the beneficial effects as listed. To wit

quote

The functions of the friendly micro-organisms a-

Fixation of atmospheric nitrogen
Decomposition of organic wastes and residues
Suppression of soil borne pathogens
Recycling and increased availability of plant nutrients
Degradation of toxicants including pesticides
Production of antibiotics and other bioactive compounds
Production of simple organic molecules for plant uptake.
Solubilization of insoluble nutrient sources
Production of polysaccharides to improve soil aggregation

/quote

( From one picture it would appear that GY suppresses weeds as well)

However -

quote

B.03.00: Introduction to Soil Microorganisms

There are billions to hundreds of billions of soil microorganisms in a
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
mere handful of a typical, garden soil. That single handful might well
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
contain thousands of different species of bacteria (most of whom have yet
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
to be classified), hundreds of different species of fungi and protozoa,
dozens of different species of nematodes plus a goodly assortment of
various mites and other microarthropods. Almost all of these countless
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
soil organisms are not only beneficial, but essential to the life giving
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
properties of soil.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.ibiblio.org/rge/faq-html/b-add.htm

/quote

Given that there is no scientific background given whatsoever,
and thus that this product doesn't appear to be based on any
breakthrough in isolating any particular group of beneficial
micro-organisms, and doesn't appear to have been subject to
field trials of any kind, a cynic might be led to believe that
a user would have as much success by using ordinary yogurt.

As to no 1 "Fixation of atmospheric nitrogen", it's well known that
the root nodule bacteria of legumes such as beans and clover
fix atmospheric nitrogen if left in the soil. Most of the other claims
"Suppression of soil borne pathogens" etc. are probably so vague as
to be incapable of being tested or "disproved". Given that this is
already a function of soil borne micro-organisms in any case. Despite
the fact that according to the website - " the eco system in your garden
and vegetable plot does become unbalanced by the weather, poor crop
rotation, continual planting etc." The weather eh? It's a wonder the
human race has survived this far at all, really.

michael adams

Old 31-10-2005, 06:09 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:

| Anyone tried this product?

http://www.gardenyogurt.co.uk/

| read one good report in the KG but how about URGlers?

I swear by Shark and Skinner's Original and Only Snake Oil,
myself.

Should be done under the Trades' Descriptions Act - I have a can of
Shyster's Only Original Snake Oil, and swear by it.

You can tell it's real because it's so slippery.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 31-10-2005, 06:13 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:
Anyone tried this product?

http://www.gardenyogurt.co.uk/

read one good report in the KG but how about URGlers?

I swear by Shark and Skinner's Original and Only Snake Oil,
myself.

I'm glad you mentioned that. S&S is the only brand I'll ever use for
oiling the joints on my bridges and other structures. As I happens,
I've just been let down by the purchaser I had lined up, so I'm
really excited to be able to offer the Brooklyn Bridge. I'd prefer an
Urgler to be the lucky one, but get in fast, people, as the bids are
pouring in.

--
Mike.

Old 31-10-2005, 07:08 PM
Djdada

Just wondering would my veg taste of yoghurt... and is the yoghurt fat free?

--
Regards,
Graham Hill

Old 31-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Bob Hobden

"Nick understandably wrote
After "Bob asked
| Anyone tried this product?
|
| http://www.gardenyogurt.co.uk/
|
| read one good report in the KG but how about URGlers?

I swear by Shark and Skinner's Original and Only Snake Oil,
myself.

KG have tested it on an allotment plot and are convinced, so far, of it's
good effect.

Done some research into EM on the net and found these... (Effective
Micro-organisms)

http://www.ccc.govt.nz/Waste/Composting/EMGuide.pdf#search='Effective%20Microorganisms'
(pdf file)

http://www.auroville.org/journals&me...vt_aug01_2.htm

http://www.emtechnologynetwork.org/%...web/about.html

So it appears that other countries are using it on quite a large scale,
strange it isn't well known in the UK.

Old 01-11-2005, 07:03 AM
La puce

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
Should be done under the Trades' Descriptions Act - I have a can of
Shyster's Only Original Snake Oil, and swear by it.

You can tell it's real because it's so slippery.

Understanding parsel tongue are we? I should have known. Just you wait
till I see Dumbledore.

Old 01-11-2005, 07:05 AM
La puce

Bob Hobden wrote:
So it appears that other countries are using it on quite a large scale,
strange it isn't well known in the UK.

It's because we don't eat frogs and snails, I beleive.

Old 01-11-2005, 09:39 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message .com
from "La puce" contains these words:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

Should be done under the Trades' Descriptions Act - I have a can of
Shyster's Only Original Snake Oil, and swear by it.

You can tell it's real because it's so slippery.

Understanding parsel tongue are we? I should have known. Just you wait
till I see Dumbledore.

Yessssss.

Sssssee if I care!

Old 01-11-2005, 09:41 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Bob Hobden wrote:

So it appears that other countries are using it on quite a large scale,
strange it isn't well known in the UK.

It's because we don't eat frogs and snails, I beleive.

I once spotted someone eating a croissant.

Old 01-11-2005, 11:59 AM
La puce

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
I once spotted someone eating a croissant.

You saw a slug or snail eating a croissant? stare

Try this and see if you're more British than I am. I got them all right
except the kettle question. It's obvious I'm forein ...

Old 01-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article .com,
"La puce" writes:
| Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
| I once spotted someone eating a croissant.
|
| You saw a slug or snail eating a croissant? stare
|
| Try this and see if you're more British than I am. I got them all right
| except the kettle question. It's obvious I'm forein ...
|
| http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3077964.stm

Amazingly, I got 9 right, too, given that my reaction to several
of the questions was "What the hell are you talking about?" I
had heard of ONE of those pop groups, and I happen to know that
Cornish is NOT an official UK language in the same sense as Welsh,
but that both Norman French and Latin are official languages in
the UK.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:49 PM
michael adams

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Nick understandably wrote
After "Bob asked
| Anyone tried this product?
|
| http://www.gardenyogurt.co.uk/
|
| read one good report in the KG but how about URGlers?

I swear by Shark and Skinner's Original and Only Snake Oil,
myself.

KG have tested it on an allotment plot and are convinced, so far, of it's
good effect.

Done some research into EM on the net and found these... (Effective
Micro-organisms)

http://www.ccc.govt.nz/Waste/Composting/EMGuide.pdf#search='Effective%20Micr
oorganisms'
(pdf file)

http://www.auroville.org/journals&me...vt_aug01_2.htm

http://www.emtechnologynetwork.org/%...web/about.html

So it appears that other countries are using it on quite a large scale,
strange it isn't well known in the UK.

According to the above, EM were developed in 1982 when Dr.Higa
at the University of Ryukyus, Okinawa Japan, discovered a
specific group of naturally occurring beneficial micro-organisms
with an amazing ability to revive, restore, and preserve.
He named this group E.M. (Effective micro-organisms).

However, despite EM being taken up a good while later, it might
be added, by disparate groups in New Zealand, India, and the US,
the technology doesn't appear to have achieved the kind of
widespread government and official recognition one might have
imagined it merited. There may also be the suspicion that many
of the principles of EM are already incorporated in existing
best practice, i.e. aside from one or two additions in the form
of specific substances, it isn't actually offering anything new.

While reading the above sites I was reminded of "Bio-Humigro"
a wonder substance from PBI, which came out a few years ago to
general acclaim. This was based not on micro organisms but on
humic and fulmic acid, important components so it was claimed,
in the composting process. This was added direct to liquid feeds.
It was even mentioned by Geoff Hamilton on Gardeners' World although
he never reported back with the results IIRR. Not having seen it
around for a while, just out of curiosity I looked up "bio-humigro"
or even "humigro" on Google. Nothing. It seems it wasn't quite as
wonderful as was claimed after all. Although something called
"humigrow" seems popular with indoor cannabis growers for some reason.

Just to prove my memory wasn't playing me tricks I had a look down the
shed, and there it the back of a shelf, there it was. With the same
dark brown molasses\creosote colour as one of the EM formulations.

Link to picture of battered bio humigro bottle -

http://tinypic.com/f5cbcm.jpg

I suspect that as with many of these wonder products - following orthodox
best practice combined with the fruits of experience will ensure results
that are 95% of the best that can be expected under any circumstances.
While a wonder product might give a 5% boost. But maybe only where best
practice is already being followed, so that in other words there are no
real short cuts.

michael adams

Old 01-11-2005, 06:18 PM
Bob Hobden

"michael adams" wrote after...

"Bob asked
| Anyone tried this product?
|
| http://www.gardenyogurt.co.uk/
|
| read one good report in the KG but how about URGlers?

KG have tested it on an allotment plot and are convinced, so far, of it's
good effect.

Done some research into EM on the net and found these... (Effective
Micro-organisms)

http://www.ccc.govt.nz/Waste/Composting/EMGuide.pdf#search='Effective%20Micr
oorganisms'
(pdf file)

http://www.auroville.org/journals&me...vt_aug01_2.htm

http://www.emtechnologynetwork.org/%...web/about.html

So it appears that other countries are using it on quite a large scale,
strange it isn't well known in the UK.

According to the above, EM were developed in 1982 when Dr.Higa
at the University of Ryukyus, Okinawa Japan, discovered a
specific group of naturally occurring beneficial micro-organisms
with an amazing ability to revive, restore, and preserve.
He named this group E.M. (Effective micro-organisms).

However, despite EM being taken up a good while later, it might
be added, by disparate groups in New Zealand, India, and the US,
the technology doesn't appear to have achieved the kind of
widespread government and official recognition one might have
imagined it merited. There may also be the suspicion that many
of the principles of EM are already incorporated in existing
best practice, i.e. aside from one or two additions in the form
of specific substances, it isn't actually offering anything new.

While reading the above sites I was reminded of "Bio-Humigro"
a wonder substance from PBI, which came out a few years ago to
general acclaim. This was based not on micro organisms but on
humic and fulmic acid, important components so it was claimed,
in the composting process. This was added direct to liquid feeds.
It was even mentioned by Geoff Hamilton on Gardeners' World although
he never reported back with the results IIRR. Not having seen it
around for a while, just out of curiosity I looked up "bio-humigro"
or even "humigro" on Google. Nothing. It seems it wasn't quite as
wonderful as was claimed after all. Although something called
"humigrow" seems popular with indoor cannabis growers for some reason.

Just to prove my memory wasn't playing me tricks I had a look down the
shed, and there it the back of a shelf, there it was. With the same
dark brown molasses\creosote colour as one of the EM formulations.

Link to picture of battered bio humigro bottle -

http://tinypic.com/f5cbcm.jpg

I suspect that as with many of these wonder products - following orthodox
best practice combined with the fruits of experience will ensure results
that are 95% of the best that can be expected under any circumstances.
While a wonder product might give a 5% boost. But maybe only where best
practice is already being followed, so that in other words there are no
real short cuts.

I too suspect it's effectiveness on a well tended plot but will await the
finding of the chap in the Kitchen Garden who seems convinced of it's merits
after one season using back to back trials. He talks of much/many more
fibrous roots on the EM watered plants, better growth and better health.

The NZ site mentioned above is a government site BTW.