Old 01-11-2005, 06:29 PM
Kay

Default Garden Yogurt, anyone tried it?

In article .com, La
puce writes

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
I once spotted someone eating a croissant.

You saw a slug or snail eating a croissant? stare

Try this and see if you're more British than I am. I got them all right
except the kettle question. It's obvious I'm forein ...

Too right. If you were really british like me you'd have only got 6 ;-)

Seriously, I've heard a lot of questions in the last few days which are
supposedly part of the test, and many of them were things we were force-
fed in the girl guides in its ultra patriotic era ... but I doubt
whether many young british people today would know the answers. And
that's not meant as a criticism of our young people. 'Put in calendar
order the saints days of the four patron saints'. Does it matter? Is
this honestly one of the bits of information which should be known by
every single British citizen?
--
Kay

Old 01-11-2005, 09:16 PM
michael adams

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"michael adams" wrote after...

"Bob asked
| Anyone tried this product?
|
| http://www.gardenyogurt.co.uk/
|
| read one good report in the KG but how about URGlers?

KG have tested it on an allotment plot and are convinced, so far, of

it's
good effect.

Done some research into EM on the net and found these... (Effective
Micro-organisms)

http://www.ccc.govt.nz/Waste/Composting/EMGuide.pdf#search='Effective%20Micr
oorganisms'
(pdf file)

http://www.auroville.org/journals&me...vt_aug01_2.htm

http://www.emtechnologynetwork.org/%...web/about.html

So it appears that other countries are using it on quite a large scale,
strange it isn't well known in the UK.

According to the above, EM were developed in 1982 when Dr.Higa
at the University of Ryukyus, Okinawa Japan, discovered a
specific group of naturally occurring beneficial micro-organisms
with an amazing ability to revive, restore, and preserve.
He named this group E.M. (Effective micro-organisms).

However, despite EM being taken up a good while later, it might
be added, by disparate groups in New Zealand, India, and the US,
the technology doesn't appear to have achieved the kind of
widespread government and official recognition one might have
imagined it merited. There may also be the suspicion that many
of the principles of EM are already incorporated in existing
best practice, i.e. aside from one or two additions in the form
of specific substances, it isn't actually offering anything new.

While reading the above sites I was reminded of "Bio-Humigro"
a wonder substance from PBI, which came out a few years ago to
general acclaim. This was based not on micro organisms but on
humic and fulmic acid, important components so it was claimed,
in the composting process. This was added direct to liquid feeds.
It was even mentioned by Geoff Hamilton on Gardeners' World although
he never reported back with the results IIRR. Not having seen it
around for a while, just out of curiosity I looked up "bio-humigro"
or even "humigro" on Google. Nothing. It seems it wasn't quite as
wonderful as was claimed after all. Although something called
"humigrow" seems popular with indoor cannabis growers for some reason.

Just to prove my memory wasn't playing me tricks I had a look down the
shed, and there it the back of a shelf, there it was. With the same
dark brown molasses\creosote colour as one of the EM formulations.

Link to picture of battered bio humigro bottle -

http://tinypic.com/f5cbcm.jpg

I suspect that as with many of these wonder products - following

orthodox
best practice combined with the fruits of experience will ensure results
that are 95% of the best that can be expected under any circumstances.
While a wonder product might give a 5% boost. But maybe only where best
practice is already being followed, so that in other words there are no
real short cuts.

I too suspect it's effectiveness on a well tended plot but will await the
finding of the chap in the Kitchen Garden who seems convinced of it's

merits
after one season using back to back trials. He talks of much/many more
fibrous roots on the EM watered plants, better growth and better health.

The NZ site mentioned above is a government site BTW.

Sure thing. And Slough Library has just declared War on Iran

http://www.slough.gov.uk

Contact the team at Garden City Composting,
Metro Place Bromley.
Telephone 941 8830
E-mail

michael adams

Regards
Bob
In Runnymede, 17 miles West of London

Old 01-11-2005, 10:55 PM
Bob Hobden

"michael adams" wrote
http://www.ccc.govt.nz/Waste/Composting/EMGuide.pdf#search='Effective%20Micr
oorganisms'
(pdf file)

The NZ site mentioned above is a government site BTW.

Sure thing. And Slough Library has just declared War on Iran

http://www.slough.gov.uk

Contact the team at Garden City Composting,
Metro Place Bromley.
Telephone 941 8830
E-mail

Yes, I too read that but the site is actually that of Christchurch City
Council in NZ and the Metro Place, Bromley they mention is a road in
Christchurch near the Huingi Manu Wildlife Reserve.

http://www.rnzih.org.nz/pages/Abstra...wCrossland.htm

Regards
Bob.

Old 02-11-2005, 09:29 AM
JennyC

"La puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
I once spotted someone eating a croissant.

You saw a slug or snail eating a croissant? stare

Try this and see if you're more British than I am. I got them all right
except the kettle question. It's obvious I'm forein ...

4 out of 10........
Probably a good thing that I swapped my nationality to Dutch............ :~))

Jenny (who speaks the unofficial British language!)

Old 02-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"JennyC" writes:

| 4 out of 10........
| Probably a good thing that I swapped my nationality to Dutch............ :~))
|
| Jenny (who speaks the unofficial British language!)

Double Dutch?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 02-11-2005, 10:22 AM
JennyC

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"JennyC" writes:

| 4 out of 10........
| Probably a good thing that I swapped my nationality to Dutch............

:~))

| Jenny (who speaks the unofficial British language!)

Double Dutch?
Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

yeah, right mate!
jenny

Old 02-11-2005, 10:42 AM
La puce

JennyC wrote:

4 out of 10........
Probably a good thing that I swapped my nationality to Dutch............ :~))
Jenny (who speaks the unofficial British language!)

Well, this is all very interesting indeed. All the foreenors I gave the
test too got on average 8/10. Are they more British than the British?
Or perhaps they simply pay more attention to what was/is happening in
their adoptive country. The kettle question was however the difficult
one. All had no need for a kettle - a saucepan is as good for boiling
water )

Old 02-11-2005, 12:32 PM
JennyC

"La puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

JennyC wrote:

4 out of 10........
Probably a good thing that I swapped my nationality to Dutch............

:~))
Jenny (who speaks the unofficial British language!)

Well, this is all very interesting indeed. All the foreenors I gave the
test too got on average 8/10. Are they more British than the British?
Or perhaps they simply pay more attention to what was/is happening in
their adoptive country.

I've been away for at least 33 years........ that's my excuse and I'm sticking
to it :~)
Jenny

Old 02-11-2005, 12:39 PM
La puce

JennyC wrote:
I've been away for at least 33 years........ that's my excuse and I'm sticking
to it :~)

I've consider changing too, not to Dutch obviously. Why did you change?
Are you a criminal g

Old 02-11-2005, 03:17 PM
JennyC

"La puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

JennyC wrote:
I've been away for at least 33 years........ that's my excuse and I'm

sticking
to it :~)

I've consider changing too, not to Dutch obviously.

??

Why did you change?

Liked the attitude here in the 70's
Liked the standard of living here
Wanted to be able to vote
Could not see myself ever going back to the UK

Are you a criminal g

I was an illegal immigrant for a while, before the UK joined the EU :~))

Jenny (now working for the Dutch Police!)

Old 02-11-2005, 04:00 PM
La puce

JennyC wrote:
"La puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

I've consider changing too, not to Dutch obviously.

??

Changing to British off course! I like the attitude here since the
80's. Like the standard cough of living. Want to be able to vote, not
only locally. Can't see myself ever going back to France )

(snip)

Are you a criminal g

I was an illegal immigrant for a while, before the UK joined the EU :~))

Ha! We're planning a trip to Culemborg, looking at the EVA eco houses
scheme with good use of water, sustainability, community participation
etc. then a trip to Malmo in Sweden. All very good stuff for the
spirit! You are indeed a lucky garl )

Jenny (now working for the Dutch Police!)

Well, some of us have too ... how does your garden grow there? Do you
live in a typical dutch house with a typical Dutch baroque garden?

Old 02-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Kay

In article .com, La
puce writes

JennyC wrote:

4 out of 10........
Probably a good thing that I swapped my nationality to Dutch............ :~))
Jenny (who speaks the unofficial British language!)

Well, this is all very interesting indeed. All the foreenors I gave the
test too got on average 8/10. Are they more British than the British?
Or perhaps they simply pay more attention to what was/is happening in
their adoptive country. The kettle question was however the difficult
one. All had no need for a kettle - a saucepan is as good for boiling
water )

Though, to be pedantic, the kettle was irrelevant to the question, which
was about on what grounds can you return goods and ask for a refund.

Maybe it's a reflection of the britishness of the setters, in that they
felt a kettle was an example of something that *everyone* would possess.

--
Kay

Old 02-11-2005, 06:00 PM
JennyC

"La puce" wrote
JennyC wrote:
"La puce" wrote

Ha! We're planning a trip to Culemborg, looking at the EVA eco houses
scheme with good use of water, sustainability, community participation
etc. then a trip to Malmo in Sweden. All very good stuff for the
spirit! You are indeed a lucky garl )

Ah ha - interesting.

Jenny (now working for the Dutch Police!)

Well, some of us have too ... how does your garden grow there? Do you
live in a typical dutch house with a typical Dutch baroque garden?

No !!
Pictures etc at : http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/indexgarden.htm

Jenny

Old 02-11-2005, 09:46 PM
La puce

JennyC wrote:
No !!
Pictures etc at : http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/indexgarden.htm

Ho me gawd Jenny! It's fantastic what you've done in so little time.
Still a long way to the clouds, but you've almost reached heaven )

I've got to show your roof to a friend who's taking the trip with us
next year. She manages projects as part of the Healthy Living Schemes
(something I volunteer too as much as I can and hopefully one day will
run my own project). She's just finished a roof garden for Reddish Vale
organic garden and we've unvailed it a few months ago. I'm gonna take
this to email soon coz ... I'm too exciting atm and need to peruse your
site a bit longer. Thank you for the links too - they look very
interesting. Later.

Old 02-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Paul Corfield

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 19:00:16 +0100, "JennyC"
wrote:

"La puce" wrote
Well, some of us have too ... how does your garden grow there? Do you
live in a typical dutch house with a typical Dutch baroque garden?

No !!
Pictures etc at : http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/indexgarden.htm

What a splendid set of gardens. The plant photos are also wonderfully
clear and a very good reference - I shall certainly be referring back to
them for some inspiration.
--
Paul C