Old 01-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Mel

Default Pumpkin Seeds

If I plant the seeds from a big orange "Halloween pumpkin" (in spring) would
they be likely to grow successfully into a big pumpkin? I'd like to give it
a go, but don't want to waste my time if they won't produce.

Thanks

Old 01-11-2005, 03:31 PM
middleton.walker

"Mel" wrote in message
If I plant the seeds from a big orange "Halloween pumpkin" (in spring)
would
they be likely to grow successfully into a big pumpkin? I'd like to give
it
a go, but don't want to waste my time if they won't produce.

Thanks

If well stored they should produce...how big is big....if you are looking
for a 500kilo jobbie suggest you buy some seeds.....H

Old 01-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Mel

"middleton.walker" If I plant the seeds
from a big orange "Halloween pumpkin" (in spring) would they be likely to
grow successfully into a big pumpkin?

If well stored they should produce...how big is big....if you are looking
for a 500kilo jobbie suggest you buy some seeds.....H

Nah, just the normal largish size pumpkins they sell for Halloween.

Old 01-11-2005, 03:46 PM
middleton.walker

"Mel" wrote in message
"middleton.walker" If I plant the seeds
from a big orange "Halloween pumpkin" (in spring) would they be likely to
grow successfully into a big pumpkin?

If well stored they should produce...how big is big....if you are looking
for a 500kilo jobbie suggest you buy some seeds.....H

Nah, just the normal largish size pumpkins they sell for Halloween.

Then they shud do just fine...

Old 01-11-2005, 03:48 PM
Mike Lyle

middleton.walker wrote:
"Mel" wrote in message
If I plant the seeds from a big orange "Halloween pumpkin" (in
spring) would
they be likely to grow successfully into a big pumpkin? I'd like

give it
a go, but don't want to waste my time if they won't produce.

Thanks

If well stored they should produce...how big is big....if you are
looking for a 500kilo jobbie suggest you buy some seeds.....H

OT: I was driving, so didn't catch it all, but there was an
interesting prog on R4 yesterday about pumpkins (?The Food
Programme?) -- the seeds yield an interesting oil. Recipes etc must
be on the web site.

--
Mike.

Old 01-11-2005, 05:30 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mel" contains these words:

If I plant the seeds from a big orange "Halloween pumpkin" (in spring) would
they be likely to grow successfully into a big pumpkin? I'd like to give it
a go, but don't want to waste my time if they won't produce.

Yes. I save mine from year to year. You are unlikely to get a prize
pumpkin, but you should get plenty of big, juicy, pumpkin-pie ore.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 01-11-2005, 05:31 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

OT: I was driving, so didn't catch it all, but there was an
interesting prog on R4 yesterday about pumpkins (?The Food
Programme?) -- the seeds yield an interesting oil. Recipes etc must
be on the web site.

Interesting?

Old 01-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Bob Hobden

"Mel" wrote ...
If I plant the seeds from a big orange "Halloween pumpkin" (in spring)
would
they be likely to grow successfully into a big pumpkin? I'd like to give
it
a go, but don't want to waste my time if they won't produce.

The answer is yes, they will grow like the parent, assuming they were in a
field of the same and didn't get cross pollinated by a "We be little" or
something else small.
I'm told by growers of large pumpkins the best seeds are the ones that have
grown nearest where the flower was and you want the largest of those.
In spring prepare a pit about the size of a dustbin round and a spit and a
half deep. Fill with well rotted compost, incorporate a little soil into the
top few inches, plant the pumpkin plant in the middle and make a soil wall
around what was the hole so that when you water it is all held in the
compost where the plant can get to it, put a tall stake in next to the plant
so you will always know where to water.
When the plant begins to take off use a good fertilizer, seaweed extract is
good initially, and water daily. 2 gals per day per plant is about right
when they are in fruit, more if it's very hot.
If you can get the nodes on the stems/stalks to root too, so much the
better, but it does mean watering the whole bed.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 01-11-2005, 06:46 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains

these
words:

OT: I was driving, so didn't catch it all, but there was an
interesting prog on R4 yesterday about pumpkins (?The Food
Programme?) -- the seeds yield an interesting oil. Recipes etc

must
be on the web site.

Interesting?

I was negotiating what Oxford laughingly calls its "by-pass" at the
time; but I gathered that the oil, fresh from the mill, has a
delicious and complex nutty smell, and what sounded like a fetchingly
absurd colour which couldn't decide whether it was green or deep
purple. There was talk of omega six or something, too.

I noted also that the German farmers call the oil-press the
"oil-cow": nice expression. My German is less than weak, but they had
an interesting dialect, too.

--
Mike.

Old 01-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:

OT: I was driving, so didn't catch it all, but there was an
interesting prog on R4 yesterday about pumpkins (?The Food
Programme?) -- the seeds yield an interesting oil. Recipes etc

must
be on the web site.

Interesting?

I was negotiating what Oxford laughingly calls its "by-pass" at the
time; but I gathered that the oil, fresh from the mill, has a
delicious and complex nutty smell, and what sounded like a fetchingly
absurd colour which couldn't decide whether it was green or deep
purple. There was talk of omega six or something, too.

I can't tell you what the fresh-pressed stuff is like, but the
bottled stuff is quite good. Ignore the purple prose - anyone with
half a clue about colours knows that they are complementary.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 01-11-2005, 07:39 PM
Mike

I was negotiating what Oxford laughingly calls its "by-pass" at the
time;

East is full of roundabouts and the West, I was on that yesterday and again
today:-(( is so twisty and turny that I am not surprised there is a 50 limit
on it!!

However, the A34 going North to the M40 is superb where they have resurfaced
it with tarmac over that dreadful concrete surface :-)) Roll on when they
get the Southbound done :-))

Mike

Old 01-11-2005, 08:13 PM
Pam Moore

"Mel" wrote in message
If I plant the seeds from a big orange "Halloween pumpkin" (in spring)
would
they be likely to grow successfully into a big pumpkin? I'd like to give
it
a go, but don't want to waste my time if they won't produce.

Thanks

A few years ago I planted the seed from one of the previous year's
pumpkins, and produced something between a marrow and a pumkin; shaped
like a large marrow but orange in colour. I assume that pumpkin and
courgette had cross pollinated, so beware.
Anyway, mine won a prize for most unusual veg, but was no good for a
Halloween lantern!

Pam in Bristol
Old 02-11-2005, 12:47 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Interesting?

I was negotiating what Oxford laughingly calls its "by-pass" at the
time; but I gathered that the oil, fresh from the mill, has a
delicious and complex nutty smell, and what sounded like a fetchingly
absurd colour which couldn't decide whether it was green or deep
purple. There was talk of omega six or something, too.

I noted also that the German farmers call the oil-press the
"oil-cow": nice expression. My German is less than weak, but they had
an interesting dialect, too.

Ah. I put pumpkin seeds in my muesli mix.

BTW, I believe there's a variety of pumpkin which produces seeds with no
case - or did someone tell me that on the morning of all fools' day?

Old 02-11-2005, 07:20 AM
Sally Holmes

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:

I gathered that the oil, fresh from the mill, has a
delicious and complex nutty smell, and what sounded like a fetchingly
absurd colour which couldn't decide whether it was green or deep
purple. There was talk of omega six or something, too.

I can't tell you what the fresh-pressed stuff is like, but the
bottled stuff is quite good. Ignore the purple prose - anyone with
half a clue about colours knows that they are complementary.

Those with three-quarters of a clue know that red is green's complement;
yellow is purple's complement.

OTOH, greenish-purple is octarine, the colour of magic, and appropriate for
a program broadcast on Hallowe'en. That pumpkin oil must be good stuff.

The original program was talking about pumkin seeds helping to prevent
prostate cancer. 2 tbsp of pumpkin seeds apparently provide half the RDA of
Omega 6, plus useful amounts of zinc and other minerals. You can listen to
it at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/foodprogramme.shtml.

--
Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England

Old 02-11-2005, 08:58 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades writes:

| BTW, I believe there's a variety of pumpkin which produces seeds with no
| case - or did someone tell me that on the morning of all fools' day?

It's true.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

identifying new pumpkin was re; pumpkin curry soup meee Australia 1 28-11-2005 03:14 AM
Pumpkin seeds RULE! dstvns Edible Gardening 11 12-11-2003 04:02 AM
Pumpkin seeds RULE! dstvns Gardening 19 11-11-2003 10:42 AM
!!! STEVE !!! Pumpkin Seeds Nick Edible Gardening 1 31-10-2003 04:32 AM
Pumpkin Seeds Nick Edible Gardening 1 29-10-2003 04:42 AM