Old 02-11-2005, 12:26 PM
La puce

Default French strawberries

Check out what's happening to the strawberries because of the warm
weather. I've never seen this before. Have you?

http://www.aujardin.org/ftopic29186.html

Old 02-11-2005, 09:03 PM
tenchman

Go on put us out of our misery
What does it say?????????????????????

oups.com...

Old 02-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Mel

"tenchman" wrote in message
Go on put us out of our misery
What does it say?????????????????????

Cut and paste into the free online translator and you get:

"They are strange: they germinate and this is the first time that I see
that!!! This is maybe the hot time that we had after a good rain... "!!

Old 02-11-2005, 09:24 PM
La puce

tenchman wrote:
Go on put us out of our misery
What does it say?????????????????????

))) I'm sorry. I won't laugh again. But didn't you see the seeds
germinating?

Old 03-11-2005, 06:09 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message .com
from "La puce" contains these words:
tenchman wrote:
Go on put us out of our misery
What does it say?????????????????????

))) I'm sorry. I won't laugh again. But didn't you see the seeds
germinating?

"I shall see zis only wurnce..."

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 03-11-2005, 09:42 AM
La puce

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

"I shall see zis only wurnce..."

If I had a quid for every time someone's said that ... I've met the
bloke who says this, Rene from the programme. He thought I was taking
the meekee, until someone told him I was genuine.

Anyhow, can one get strawberry plants from the plantlet growing from
the seeds on the fruit?

Old 03-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message . com
from "La puce" contains these words:

Anyhow, can one get strawberry plants from the plantlet growing from
the seeds on the fruit?

Yes, though I haven't looked at the URL to see where it's coming from.
(dial-up, and I've been downloading for 90 mns already today...)

If it's a germinating seed, it may not - probably will not - be the same
as the parent.

If it's vegetative, it should be a clone.

Old 03-11-2005, 01:32 PM
La puce

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
If it's a germinating seed, it may not - probably will not - be the same
as the parent.

Well yes. The strange thing here is that all the seeds around the fruit
itself have germinated. Looks quite peculiar.

If it's vegetative, it should be a clone.

Those runners are getting a bit of a handfull acshually ;o)

Old 03-11-2005, 07:12 PM
Brian

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message . com
from "La puce" contains these words:

Anyhow, can one get strawberry plants from the plantlet growing from
the seeds on the fruit?

Yes, though I haven't looked at the URL to see where it's coming from.
(dial-up, and I've been downloading for 90 mns already today...)

If it's a germinating seed, it may not - probably will not - be the same
as the parent.

If it's vegetative, it should be a clone.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Perhaps not surprisingly, the 'seeds' on the outside of the strawberry
are actually the fruits. They are single seeded and thus Achenes. The fleshy
part that we eat is the receptacle. It is not common, but not rare, to see
these germinating in situ especially with out-of-season specimens. They
were produced sexually and will differ from the parent~~ but then this is
how new vars. are grown. I believe Talisman was discovered growing on a
stone/earth wall beside a field of Royal Sovs. This would have been passed
by a bird or from an over-ripe fruit thrown there. Strawberries, from seed,
are more reliable to be reasonably worthwhile than most fruits. Peaches even
more so. But neither as good as 'boughten' plants.
Best Wishes Brian

French name Pat London United Kingdom 1 14-03-2003 11:01 PM
Free translation of your website in french ! Roger Lhoest Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 06-02-2003 07:24 PM
Quotes was ( OT _ The French Are What?) Snooze Ponds 7 30-01-2003 10:45 PM
OT _ The French Are What? Walter P. Schlomer Ponds 19 30-01-2003 07:45 PM
French intrusion Tumbleweed United Kingdom 4 19-12-2002 11:02 AM