Old 13-11-2005, 07:37 PM
Mary

Default mulching

Unless I have misunderstand about mulching does a mulch need to be removed
or dug into the soil before winter after it has been applied in the spring?

Mary

Old 13-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Ian Keeling

Mary wrote:
Unless I have misunderstand about mulching does a mulch need to be removed
or dug into the soil before winter after it has been applied in the spring?

Mary

I think a mulch, by definition, is something that is applied to the
surface and not dug in. There are materials used as mulches (surface
applied) which can also be useful as soil conditioners (incorporated in
the soil by digging or other means) - such as composted bark, farmyard
manure... Normally mulches like these will be incorporated in the soil
by the natural activity of, e.g., worms so there's no need to dig them
in - simply top up the mulch (normally in the spring, to slow loss of
water from the soil by evaporation).

I speak/write as something of a novice (only RHS Gen'l Cert) so you'll
probably get much better advice before too long!
Old 13-11-2005, 08:07 PM
middleton.walker

"Mary" wrote in message
Unless I have misunderstand about mulching does a mulch need to be removed
or dug into the soil before winter after it has been applied in the
spring?

Mary

Mine gets renewed every autumn and sometimes extra in the spring but never
dug in.....H

Old 13-11-2005, 08:51 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Ian Keeling contains these words:
Mary wrote:

Unless I have misunderstand about mulching does a mulch need to be removed
or dug into the soil before winter after it has been applied in the
spring?

I think a mulch, by definition, is something that is applied to the
surface and not dug in. There are materials used as mulches (surface
applied) which can also be useful as soil conditioners (incorporated in
the soil by digging or other means) - such as composted bark, farmyard
manure... Normally mulches like these will be incorporated in the soil
by the natural activity of, e.g., worms so there's no need to dig them
in - simply top up the mulch (normally in the spring, to slow loss of
water from the soil by evaporation).

I speak/write as something of a novice (only RHS Gen'l Cert) so you'll
probably get much better advice before too long!

Only if there *IS* better advice.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 13-11-2005, 11:46 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Mary" contains these words:

Unless I have misunderstand about mulching does a mulch need to be removed
or dug into the soil before winter after it has been applied in the spring?

No. Eventually it will decompose/be taken down by worms. With some
mulch materials that happens in just a few months; (grass clippings,
compost, bracken, seaweed). Ground up bark or cocoa shell takes longer.

As the worms take down the material into the soil they create a good
soil structure which doesn't need to be dug. When the mulch layer
almost disappears, just mulch again on top of it (time of year doesn't
matter much). If practicable, it's a good idea to vary the mulch
material , with each layer.

Janet

Old 14-11-2005, 11:18 AM
La puce

Ian Keeling wrote:
I think a mulch, by definition, is something that is applied to the
surface and not dug in. There are materials used as mulches (surface
applied) which can also be useful as soil conditioners (incorporated in
the soil by digging or other means) - such as composted bark, farmyard
manure... Normally mulches like these will be incorporated in the soil
by the natural activity of, e.g., worms so there's no need to dig them
in - simply top up the mulch (normally in the spring, to slow loss of
water from the soil by evaporation).
I speak/write as something of a novice (only RHS Gen'l Cert) so you'll
probably get much better advice before too long!

Why the worry? Be confident!! Your explanation above is excellent.
10/10 ;o)

Old 14-11-2005, 11:44 AM
middleton.walker

"La puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ian Keeling wrote:
I think a mulch, by definition, is something that is applied to the
surface and not dug in. There are materials used as mulches (surface
applied) which can also be useful as soil conditioners (incorporated in
the soil by digging or other means) - such as composted bark, farmyard
manure... Normally mulches like these will be incorporated in the soil
by the natural activity of, e.g., worms so there's no need to dig them
in - simply top up the mulch (normally in the spring, to slow loss of
water from the soil by evaporation).
I speak/write as something of a novice (only RHS Gen'l Cert) so you'll
probably get much better advice before too long!

Why the worry? Be confident!! Your explanation above is excellent.
10/10 ;o)

Perhaps you are 'something of a novice' but in a number of your posts you
have spoken more like a pro than a novice......from an oldie that has been
around the gardening scene for many a decade

Old 14-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Ian Keeling

La puce wrote:
Ian Keeling wrote:

I think a mulch, by definition, is something that is applied to the
surface and not dug in. There are materials used as mulches (surface
applied) which can also be useful as soil conditioners (incorporated in
the soil by digging or other means) - such as composted bark, farmyard
manure... Normally mulches like these will be incorporated in the soil
by the natural activity of, e.g., worms so there's no need to dig them
in - simply top up the mulch (normally in the spring, to slow loss of
water from the soil by evaporation).
I speak/write as something of a novice (only RHS Gen'l Cert) so you'll
probably get much better advice before too long!

Why the worry? Be confident!! Your explanation above is excellent.
10/10 ;o)

I'm not worried - only pointing out my credentials, so the OP isn't
under any illusion that I'm some authority on the matter.
Old 14-11-2005, 01:09 PM
Mike Lyle

Janet Baraclough wrote:
[...]
almost disappears, just mulch again on top of it (time of year

doesn't
matter much). [...]

Right; but preferably not if the ground is actually frozen.

--
Mike.

Old 14-11-2005, 01:11 PM
La puce

Ian Keeling wrote:
I'm not worried - only pointing out my credentials, so the OP isn't
under any illusion that I'm some authority on the matter.

The matter of 'mulching'?! g

But seriously, I'm 4 months away to passing my RHS. Any advice? And why
do you concider yourself a 'novice' after passing such a demanding
examination? I understand that academic credentials are nothing
compared to experience. But surely you're not 8 years old nor you'd
just pass an exam with no practical experience. Or would you?!

Old 14-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

La puce wrote:
Ian Keeling wrote:

[...]

Three experts - four opinions.

Old 14-11-2005, 01:28 PM
La puce

Mike Lyle wrote:
Right; but preferably not if the ground is actually frozen.

I got a 5 instead of a 10 for a series of questions my tutor gave us.
On all of them I had forgotten to mention the obvious, the common
sense, the logical like:- water after planting. Ho! I mentioned the
entire maintenance, the deadheading, feeding, watering, mulching,
deviding, looking for sign of p&d and had time to even mention all the
possible uses of each plants, decoration, medicinal, culinary purposes.
But no. 5 points for forgetting watering after planting. As if I
wouldn't!!!! And I think that's a problem because you think 'they know
that', you think 'it's bleeding obvious'. Actually, you just don't
think that anymore. It's ... automatic.

Fed up.

Old 14-11-2005, 01:32 PM
Ian Keeling

La puce wrote:
Ian Keeling wrote:

I'm not worried - only pointing out my credentials, so the OP isn't
under any illusion that I'm some authority on the matter.

The matter of 'mulching'?! g

But seriously, I'm 4 months away to passing my RHS. Any advice? And why
do you concider yourself a 'novice' after passing such a demanding
examination? I understand that academic credentials are nothing
compared to experience. But surely you're not 8 years old nor you'd
just pass an exam with no practical experience. Or would you?!

Well, yes, even with distinction in that exam I still consider myself
something of a novice - it's only the first step. (Best tip: Get hold of
as many past papers as you can)

What the course of study really did for me was to open up whole new
areas of ignorance! After studying for the exam I began to get an
inkling of how much there is to know about plants and their culture.

No, I'm not 8 years old (40 something). I don't have vast practical
experience, but I have had a "growing" interest in plants and gardening
over the last 10 years - it's beginning to get a bit serious.

I am certainly a novice compared to many of the regular posters in this
group.
Old 14-11-2005, 01:41 PM
Cat(h)

Ian Keeling wrote:

La puce wrote:
Ian Keeling wrote:

[...]

Gasp! What does that mean for those of us who have only started their
garden in the last two years, have already chalked up several
disasters, have burned plants by mulching with non-well rotten farmyard
manure, have nurtured glorious weeds - even admired by many resident
experts - and wallow in the glory of having no qualification
whatsoever?
What's the grade twenty degrees before novice?

Cat(h) (You, sir, cannot expect to usurp the N word in total impunity)
Herds twirl slow...

Old 14-11-2005, 01:49 PM
Ian Keeling

[...]

So, you were a complete novice - you made a few mistakes - you're less
of a novice now!!! It's the best way to learn really, isn't it? By
experimentation/observation? I still expect to make loads of mistakes -
it's even part of the fun of gardening, as long as they're not too
expensive!

Mulching in North Carolina Steve Bouton Gardening 3 03-12-2003 12:33 AM
The importance of Mulching GardeningGuy Gardening 7 18-06-2003 03:56 PM
gum leaves mulching and fast break down PITS Australia 1 01-05-2003 12:20 AM
tree...mulching cn Texas 0 14-04-2003 10:08 PM
Need desperate help - need to find Seed Aide mulching granules ASAP!!! BillC Gardening 0 06-04-2003 07:08 AM