Old 16-11-2005, 05:03 PM
Sacha

Default Frost warning

I have just been down to the local feed merchant and someone working there
tells me that -4 is forecast for this area tonight. Certainly, the sky is
very clear and the temperature has dropped like a stone.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-11-2005, 05:18 PM
Mike

"martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:03:12 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

I have just been down to the local feed merchant and someone working

there
tells me that -4 is forecast for this area tonight. Certainly, the sky

is
very clear and the temperature has dropped like a stone.

Lumps of ice are travelling horizontally at about 40 mph here.
--
Martin

and 'here' is where?

Old 16-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Peter Stockdale

"Mike" wrote in message

Lumps of ice are travelling horizontally at about 40 mph here.
--
Martin

and 'here' is where?

Outside the UK. eh - Martin ?

Old 16-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Mike

"Peter Stockdale" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

Lumps of ice are travelling horizontally at about 40 mph here.
--
Martin

and 'here' is where?

Outside the UK. eh - Martin ?

If its hillhousenursery, that 'IS' the UK :-((

Old 16-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Peter Stockdale

"Mike" wrote in message

Lumps of ice are travelling horizontally at about 40 mph here.
--
Martin

and 'here' is where?

Outside the UK. eh - Martin ?

If its hillhousenursery, that 'IS' the UK :-((

No definately not - Sacha has clear skies !

Old 16-11-2005, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman

Left my sons tonight at Coven, Stafforshire near wolverhampton just before
20-00hrs and ice had formed on top of cars, sky clear, no wind, low mist
over common especially near the canal., just the sort of weather to destroy
tender plants. And to find weak car batteries in the morning. NOW what
happened to that global warming we were on about the other day ?
regards
Cineman
Central UK

.uk...

Old 16-11-2005, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:03:12 +0000, Sacha wrote:

I have just been down to the local feed merchant and someone working
there tells me that -4 is forecast for this area tonight.

-2.5C here already and some snow this morning:

http://www.howhill.com/weather/view....2005&m=11&d=16

Still it's been a very mild October and November. Tonight will only be
third air frost this end of the year. We have normally had at least
one proper, as in settling and a cm or two for a few hours, fall of
snow by now as well.

--
Cheers Dave.
Nr Garrigill, Cumbria. 421m ASL. pam is missing e-mail

Old 16-11-2005, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

cineman wrote:
[...]
in the morning. NOW what happened to that global warming we were on
about the other day ?

[...]

I know you actually know this, but let's emphasise that global
warming doesn't mean Britain is going to turn into Tunisia. AIUI, if
the system gets screwed up, these islands could get like
Scandiwegia -- as the original design specified, until God thought of
this nifty Gulf-Stream practical joke.

--
Mike.

Old 16-11-2005, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter Stockdale

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...

-2.5C here already and some snow this morning:

http://www.howhill.com/weather/view....2005&m=11&d=16

Still it's been a very mild October and November. Tonight will only be
third air frost this end of the year. We have normally had at least
one proper, as in settling and a cm or two for a few hours, fall of
snow by now as well.

--
Cheers Dave.
Nr Garrigill, Cumbria. 421m ASL. pam is missing e-mail

32.5F as I write, here in Cheshire.
Hasn't Martin gone quiet - perhaps one of the lumps of ice has proved
fatal !
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 17-11-2005, 05:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
I have just been down to the local feed merchant and someone working there
tells me that -4 is forecast for this area tonight. Certainly, the sky is
very clear and the temperature has dropped like a stone.
--
Sacha

Cold here too. Set up the GH heater yesterday......
Jenny

Old 17-11-2005, 07:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 07:08:43 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Well, I don't know what it went down to last night but it's quite a
white morning here, just looking out of the window at 7am!

White from frost here as as well. Over night air temperature low of
-5C. I must try and rig up a grass thermometer.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 17-11-2005, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 17/11/05 10:01, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

Ray has just told me that it went to -3 here which is low for this time of
year, certainly.

Well, it dropped to 2C. here last night and 0C. in many parts of the
bay. This is particularly cold for November since night lows normally
remain at around 7 - 10C. until the 2nd. week in December. Still, it
was a wonderfully crisp and bright morning, no damage done outside
(well a few New Guinea Impatiens are looking a bit droopy) and there's
a fair chance of cloud cover by tonight, which will keep temps over
5C.

I even made a concession to the weather by throwing an old shirt over
the top of a young Ensete 'Montbeliardii' to protect it. That's not
at all like me, but at over 6 feet it is too big to bring in and I
don't want to lose such a magnificent plant. Ensetes will overwinter
here very well, but the variety is untested as yet and they are best
given some TLC in the first winter.

A few days ago, Ray and Matthew manouevered our two into their winter
quarters with great difficulty. The tree fern on the tea room lawn will be
covered up before tonight comes, though, unless we take that in, too or that
cloud cover comes. It doesn't have the tree canopy over it that the others
down the garden have, so we'd rather not risk it. It's still very sunny and
bright here - quite beautiful but v. cold.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 17-11-2005, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trevor

Hi Sacha

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/

One of the best sites I know to look at the past weather. After using the
drop down menu to look at minimum temperature (say) then use the menus on
the right to sel;ect min imujm temperature and large map. If you use a pop
up blocker hold down the control key. You get an excellent map of minimum
temps for the whole of Britain. (similalry for max temps, max gust etc etc)

Frost warning Monday night Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) United Kingdom 2 23-05-2006 09:15 PM
Frost warning ?? JennyC United Kingdom 2 23-04-2003 06:48 PM
warning about mulch Allegra Roses 0 04-04-2003 05:44 AM
Another unusual poison warning - this time for dog owners jane taylor United Kingdom 7 01-04-2003 11:08 PM
(LONG) Warning on global warming Daniel B. Wheeler alt.forestry 0 03-01-2003 06:33 AM