Old 17-11-2005, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Frost warning

On 17/11/05 16:33, in article
, "Trevor"
wrote:

Hi Sacha

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/

One of the best sites I know to look at the past weather. After using the
drop down menu to look at minimum temperature (say) then use the menus on
the right to sel;ect min imujm temperature and large map. If you use a pop
up blocker hold down the control key. You get an excellent map of minimum
temps for the whole of Britain. (similalry for max temps, max gust etc etc)

That's terrific, Trevor and thank you! Nice to see you back, BTW! How are
things?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 17-11-2005, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kay

In article om, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 07:08:43 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Well, I don't know what it went down to last night but it's quite a
white morning here, just looking out of the window at 7am!

White from frost here as as well. Over night air temperature low of
-5C. I must try and rig up a grass thermometer.

Our first frost of the year here - and no doubt about it. The ponds are
frozen.
--
Kay

Old 17-11-2005, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andy

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 17/11/05 16:33, in article
, "Trevor"
wrote:

Hi Sacha

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/

One of the best sites I know to look at the past weather. After using the
drop down menu to look at minimum temperature (say) then use the menus on
the right to sel;ect min imujm temperature and large map. If you use a
pop
up blocker hold down the control key. You get an excellent map of minimum
temps for the whole of Britain. (similalry for max temps, max gust etc
etc)

That's terrific, Trevor and thank you! Nice to see you back, BTW! How
are
things?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

First frost in Plymouth, the nasturtiums bought it last night.
Mind you, I am at 200 feet so it's possible some areas nearer the Sound
escaped.

Andy.

Old 17-11-2005, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trevor

Very well thanks. The Paulownia you gave me is performing well, and the many
Paulownia seeds you gave me germinated well, so quite a few to sell next
year!

best wishes to ray.

Old 17-11-2005, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trevor

"Andy" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 17/11/05 16:33, in article
, "Trevor"
wrote:

[...]

My nasties are still fine here 'up north'. For the past 3 winters it's
usually been the second week of Decmber when they've bought it.

Old 17-11-2005, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:

In article om, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 07:08:43 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Well, I don't know what it went down to last night but it's quite a
white morning here, just looking out of the window at 7am!

White from frost here as as well. Over night air temperature low of
-5C. I must try and rig up a grass thermometer.

Our first frost of the year here - and no doubt about it. The ponds are
frozen.

I cut down and dug up the roots of my runners this afternoon and brought
them in - must get some sand...

All the potted pelargoniums (pelargonia?) and fuschias have been brought
in to the - well, what the (realistic) estate agent called a porch, but
the previous inhabitant's son (who built it) called a conservatory.

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/porch001.jpg

The porchatory was put on before next-door built behind it the extension
to their cottage, which releases, when I get the right-shaped tuits,
some useful glass which is not so quite useful where it is now. (Though
it makes a fine draught-excluder.)

Also brought in are the lemon trees, two in the con - er - porch, one in
the front room window, one in the study window and one in the attic room
window. The chilli plants are in too, to keep them from the chill, and
the avocado - but in the not too distant future that will have to take
its chance outside. The date palm has not performed well this year, and
it's one remaining leaf remains the same size as when I put it out in
the spring. The self-sown violas in the pot have done well, though.

--
Rusty
Old 17-11-2005, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 17/11/05 19:22, in article
, "Trevor"
wrote:

Very well thanks. The Paulownia you gave me is performing well, and the many
Paulownia seeds you gave me germinated well, so quite a few to sell next
year!

Those things seem hellbent on world domination! Iris had some from us a
couple of years ago and did a very satisfactory trade with one of her local
nurseries in France. I picked a pod up from the path yesterday and it had
been blown around, rained on and probably trodden on but there were still
seeds inside it, dry and happy and viable!

best wishes to ray.

And ours to you.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-11-2005, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 18/11/05 6:19, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Well, despite dire warnings from Weatheronline, the reality was a +3C
minimum and not the minus 3C predicted. That's quite a variance!
Down on the harbourside a mile away, it fell to 0C as with the night
before, but rose a couple of degrees.after midnight. Weatheronline
takes its data for this area from Exeter airport which is over 20
miles away. Considering the south Devon topography creates so many
different climates, its forecasts need to be taken with a very large
pinch of salt.

Ain't that the truth! We woke up to quite a lot of white here and there
yesterday morning - some plants, some lawns, garden furniture etc. and so
on. But looking across the lane and less than a mile away to a
neighbouring farm, it was absolutely and totally covered in frost.

So, the New Guinea Impatiens scattered between the banana clumps get
to live another day and the late flowers on Cannas, white Nerines, red
Passiflora etc.will continue to open in the crisp bright sunshine.
Even better is that yet another leaf on a very choice species of
Trachycarpus from Nepal (T. martianus), suddenly 'popped' open
yesterday. This has near perfectly circular 'fans' 3 feet across,
glossy bright green above and when young, clothed in silky white hairs
below.

You'll be picking oranges on Christmas Day again!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-11-2005, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kase

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

I have just been down to the local feed merchant and someone working

there
tells me that -4 is forecast for this area tonight. Certainly, the sky

is
very clear and the temperature has dropped like a stone.

Same here. There's an ice ring round the moon tonight.

Janet.

I noticed that as well - totally clear skies and then several rings at
different distances from the moon. Beautiful !!

Finally my Impatiens are dead, long live Busy Lizzy

Kase

--
Great ringtones, games and wallpapers for your mobile
http://www.funkibug.co.uk/

Remove YOURPANTS before replying

Old 18-11-2005, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trevor

How hardy are Echium pinnata?

A couple have plonked themselves in my garden and I have no idea where they
came from. Last 8 years nothing worse than ms 08 but in the 70s and 80-'s ms
15 was normal.

Trevor East Yorkshire

Old 18-11-2005, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trevor

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
[...]

....don't get anything on that link

Old 18-11-2005, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 18/11/05 20:08, in article
, "Trevor"
wrote:

How hardy are Echium pinnata?

A couple have plonked themselves in my garden and I have no idea where they
came from. Last 8 years nothing worse than ms 08 but in the 70s and 80-'s ms
15 was normal.

How very interesting. Just let them go and perhaps fleece them this winter?
They grow in Tresco like weeds but we have mixed results here and I think
that is to do with drainage more than cold. Just my guess, BTW.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-11-2005, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 06:19:06 +0000, Dave Poole wrote:

Weatheronline takes its data for this area from Exeter airport which
is over 20 miles away. Considering the south Devon topography
creates so many different climates, its forecasts need to be taken
with a very large pinch of salt.

Not just weather online, quite a number of "forecasts" are computer
generated and are published without even the most basic sanity
checking, let alone a real human looking at the output. I find that
the best forecast for here is the local written one on the BBC Cumbria
website, but even that needs to be adjusted for our altitude but in
general terms it is correct most of the time. It is of course written
by a real forcaster with good local knowledge.

So, the New Guinea Impatiens scattered between the banana clumps get
to live another day ...

Hum, I'll have to take some photos of what the wind and rain does to
short grass up here, plastered to the ground looking as if it has been
combed with hair gel. Heavy rain and wind does a good job of
flattening the mole hills...

Warm tonight, only -3C ATM.

--
Cheers Dave.
Nr Garrigill, Cumbria. 421m ASL. pam is missing e-mail

Old 19-11-2005, 12:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Trevor" contains these words:

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/porch001.jpg

....don't get anything on that link

I just tried it and it came up.

If you tried in the early evening though, Zetnet's router had crashed.

--
Rusty
Men love women, women love children, children love hamsters.
Old 19-11-2005, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trevor

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 06:19:06 +0000, Dave Poole wrote:

Weatheronline takes its data for this area from Exeter airport which
is over 20 miles away. Considering the south Devon topography
creates so many different climates, its forecasts need to be taken
with a very large pinch of salt.

Not just weather online, quite a number of "forecasts" are computer
generated and are published without even the most basic sanity
checking, let alone a real human looking at the output. I find that
the best forecast for here is the local written one on the BBC Cumbria
website, but even that needs to be adjusted for our altitude but in
general terms it is correct most of the time. It is of course written
by a real forcaster with good local knowledge.

many thanks

Trevor Appleton

http://www.weatherquest.co.uk/Content/About.asp

http://www.eastriding.gov.uk/az/az_d...z_selected=491

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/bbcweat...appleton.shtml

Frost warning Monday night Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) United Kingdom 2 23-05-2006 09:15 PM
Frost warning ?? JennyC United Kingdom 2 23-04-2003 06:48 PM
warning about mulch Allegra Roses 0 04-04-2003 05:44 AM
Another unusual poison warning - this time for dog owners jane taylor United Kingdom 7 01-04-2003 11:08 PM
(LONG) Warning on global warming Daniel B. Wheeler alt.forestry 0 03-01-2003 06:33 AM