Old 28-11-2005, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

Default Bird Seed Feeder

"Mike Roscoe" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in a message:
Having said I was going out to buy some netting, when I woke up this
morning, I began to wonder where I would be able to buy it, so can you
give me a clue?(:-)
---

You could consider using the large mesh green or brown plastic netting
designed for clematis. As it comes in a roll, it is dead easy to turn into
a tube to fit round the supporting post, bird feeder and tray. To finish
it all off, just cut two circular bits for the top and bottom using wire
twists to position them, allowing cut outs for the post. Of course any
self respecting squirrel would soon gnaw through plastic netting, so that
idea is out for those of you who have them visiting.
What about an Eagle Owl trained to eat just squirrels, collared doves and
wood pigeons?

I had considered the use of plastic netting, but the large birds around here
would see that off in a few minutes!

Alan

Mike Roscoe

Old 29-11-2005, 04:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:
"Mike Roscoe" wrote in message

You could consider using the large mesh green or brown plastic netting
designed for clematis. As it comes in a roll, it is dead easy to
turn into
a tube to fit round the supporting post, bird feeder and tray. To finish
it all off, just cut two circular bits for the top and bottom using wire
twists to position them, allowing cut outs for the post. Of course any
self respecting squirrel would soon gnaw through plastic netting, so that
idea is out for those of you who have them visiting.
What about an Eagle Owl trained to eat just squirrels, collared doves and
wood pigeons?

I had considered the use of plastic netting, but the large birds
around here
would see that off in a few minutes!

Not the same stuff - I think Mike meant the heavy gauge stuff that looks
like chain-link netting.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 29-11-2005, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Roscoe

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in a message:..

Not the same stuff - I think Mike meant the heavy gauge stuff that looks
like chain-link netting.

Rusty

---
You're right! I should have been more explicit. I have in the past used the
green chain-link netting (from my local Co-op garden centre), which is
pretty tough stuff, as a foil against squirrels taking all the bird seed,
but they still managed to gnaw through it.
At the moment, my one bird table has been taken over by five resident
collared doves, four wood pigeons, not forgetting a large family of house
sparrows and flocks of starlings. I haven't the heart to stop feeding them
all, but would love to see a few members of the tit family, scared off by
the larger birds.

Mike Roscoe

Old 29-11-2005, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

---
You're right! I should have been more explicit. I have in the past used

the
green chain-link netting (from my local Co-op garden centre), which is
pretty tough stuff, as a foil against squirrels taking all the bird seed,
but they still managed to gnaw through it.
At the moment, my one bird table has been taken over by five resident
collared doves, four wood pigeons, not forgetting a large family of house
sparrows and flocks of starlings. I haven't the heart to stop feeding them
all, but would love to see a few members of the tit family, scared off by
the larger birds.

Mike Roscoe

Mike do you have any peanut hangers in your garden? We have two and that
attracts the Bluetits and Greenfinches. They also go through the wire
netting to get to the birdseed. With regards Collared Doves and Pigeons, I
don't encourage them at all, a couple of near neighbours put stuff out and
they swoop in there. Statlings attack a fat seed ball I have up and anything
which goes on the ground, such as aload of Pitta Bread which has been in the
freezer for yonks and was taking up space.

Deter the Doves and Pigeons and the tits and finches will turn up.

Do you deter the cat population? They must be removed and allow the birds to
use your garden

Mike

Old 29-11-2005, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Roscoe" contains these words:

You're right! I should have been more explicit. I have in the past used the
green chain-link netting (from my local Co-op garden centre), which is
pretty tough stuff, as a foil against squirrels taking all the bird seed,
but they still managed to gnaw through it.
At the moment, my one bird table has been taken over by five resident
collared doves, four wood pigeons, not forgetting a large family of house
sparrows and flocks of starlings. I haven't the heart to stop feeding them
all, but would love to see a few members of the tit family, scared off by
the larger birds.

Strikes me that amalgamating ideas here, one could male a very slim
'tube' of it, perhaps rolled twice, lash the layers together and use
that as a standard, then make an umbrella of it by snipping to shape and
tying the edges, then grow your wisteria, ivy, clematis, rose w.h.y? up
it.

You could bury the bottom of the standard in soil, and it would never
(FAVO of ever) decay or rust, and assuming you used the drab green or
the brown, it would soon be all but undetectable.