Old 02-12-2005, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Default Children? Grandchildren? Non gardening

When young children are involved in an accident or some other traumatic
experience, they need to be calmed and one of the ways this is being done is
to give TLC. A scheme which started in Sussex, spread to Hampshire and the
Isle of Wight and is now in 32 counties is to equip Ambulances with a little
supply of TLC's to give to the children to love and to keep. It gives them
something to concentrate on and has a very good soothing effect.

TLC's? Little Teddy Bears and the scheme is called Teddies with Loving Care.

As I said all ambulances in Sussex, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight are
equipped with these. Are they in your county? Just how far has the scheme
spread and does anyone know of any other place where traumatised children
might be and received a TLC?

Mike

--
..

Old 02-12-2005, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Mike" wrote in message
When young children are involved in an accident or some other traumatic
experience, they need to be calmed and one of the ways this is being done
is
to give TLC. A scheme which started in Sussex, spread to Hampshire and the
Isle of Wight and is now in 32 counties is to equip Ambulances with a
little
supply of TLC's to give to the children to love and to keep. It gives them
something to concentrate on and has a very good soothing effect.

TLC's? Little Teddy Bears and the scheme is called Teddies with Loving
Care.

As I said all ambulances in Sussex, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight are
equipped with these. Are they in your county? Just how far has the scheme
spread and does anyone know of any other place where traumatised children
might be and received a TLC?

Try as I might, I've read this a dozen times and I cannot see it's relevance
to gardening, could someone please tell me where I'm going wrong?

Alan

Mike

--
.

Old 02-12-2005, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Your only error, I suggest, would have been if you'd expected it to be
relevant to gardening in the first place. What do you want to bet the
sainted freemasons are paying for these bears?

Old 02-12-2005, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Alan Holmes
writes

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

The header says 'Non gardening', Alan, which indicates that it is off
topic. As a regular poster to ukf+d, you should be used to that
--
June Hughes

Old 02-12-2005, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike wrote:
Which part of the 'Non Gardening' in the header did you not understand Alan?

More to the point, which part of the uk.rec.gardening charter did
YOU not understand?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

My full apologies.

I thought that this group had parents and grandparents in it, the type who
would show interest and compassion towards other children, as I do being a
parent and grandparent.

I felt that this was a very good idea and was interested to see how far it
had spread up the country, but as none of you are parents and grandparents,
you would not, and therefore 'could' not see this.

I do apologise for bringing something with a header in which some could not
understand, but really and honestly thought, that this newsgroup had a cross
section of ages which could give me feedback.

Once again my most humble apologies.

Mike
The truth will prevail

--
..

Old 02-12-2005, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

Default Was Children? Grandchildren? Non gardening now:Gardening toolsto cheer up child.

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Mike wrote:

Which part of the 'Non Gardening' in the header did you not understand Alan?

More to the point, which part of the uk.rec.gardening charter did
YOU not understand?

Throw in the Usenet Guidelines too!

Anyhoo my recollection of gardening of sorts was my father being
persuaded by a whining (now called traumetised) six year-old to let him
have a go with a sickle. It looked fun but kids, let me tell you this.
Like everything later in life, it quickly becomes boring or makes your
muscles ache.

Then, my first packet of seed was the Chrysanthemum 'Merry Mixed' my old
man bought me. After sowing and watering in I watched the ground for a
while, got bored then played in the local brook.

Children? Grandchildren ? Gardening ? I think so!

Richard.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Richard Brooks wrote:
Anyhoo my recollection of gardening of sorts was my father being
persuaded by a whining (now called traumetised) six year-old to let him
have a go with a sickle. It looked fun but kids, let me tell you this.
Like everything later in life, it quickly becomes boring or makes your
muscles ache.
Then, my first packet of seed was the Chrysanthemum 'Merry Mixed' my old
man bought me. After sowing and watering in I watched the ground for a
while, got bored then played in the local brook.
Children? Grandchildren ? Gardening ? I think so!

) The first time I became aware of gardens but more to the point the
'grand importance' of my grand dad's garden is when he suddenly yelled
at me like thunder, his huge body casting a huge shadow on me, his hat
coming off, his sweat dripping off him, screaming
blueblisteringbarnecles at little me, perhaps 3 or 4 years old then, I
was holding a huge bouquet of flowers proudly, they were strawberrie
flowers ...

Old 02-12-2005, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tumbleweed

"Mike" wrote in message
Which part of the 'Non Gardening' in the header did you not understand
Alan?

I assumed it was re non gardening children or grandchildren and how to get
them interested. How about 'OT' next time?

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 02-12-2005, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Tumbleweed wrote:
I assumed it was re non gardening children or grandchildren and how to get
them interested. How about 'OT' next time?

It was about teddy bears.

Old 02-12-2005, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

"La puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Tumbleweed wrote:
I assumed it was re non gardening children or grandchildren and how to

get
them interested. How about 'OT' next time?

It was about teddy bears.

I suspect it was about teddy bears provided by a scheme *financed by
freemasons*.

Old 02-12-2005, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

La puce wrote:
Richard Brooks wrote:

[...]

ROFL!

Did you do the same with what we were told was Deadly Nightshade
(Bittersweet) or clumps of Arum Maculatum, holding them aloft proudly ?

Gardening is great for kids of all ages as they learn those things only
done once. Some memorable items from my list;

1. Bite into a Walnut husk whilst green.
2. Bite into Rhubarb whilst green.
3. Taste ripe Arum Maculatum fruit.
4. Tease wasps by poking a grass stem into the hole.
5. Throw handfuls of what was thought to be fine powdery red soil at
each other, being told later that it was dried excrement.

6. Bite into a pea without checking first.

It's just not the same as supermarket aisles. Okay, you don't get to
fish dead stiff cats out of water tanks but we got used to it.

Richard.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike wrote:
My full apologies.

For what? I didn't particularly object to your original posting,
though it was totally off-group, but I did object to you getting
on your high horse when someone perfectly reasonably told you that
he objected to you breaking the charter.

I thought that this group had parents and grandparents in it, the type who
would show interest and compassion towards other children, as I do being a
parent and grandparent.

I felt that this was a very good idea and was interested to see how far it
had spread up the country, but as none of you are parents and grandparents,
you would not, and therefore 'could' not see this.

I do apologise for bringing something with a header in which some could not
understand, but really and honestly thought, that this newsgroup had a cross
section of ages which could give me feedback.

Ah. So you are withdrawing your apologies?

Didn't your parents tell you that there is a time and a place for
everything, and didn't you tell your children the same? If not,
why not?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Richard Brooks wrote:
Did you do the same with what we were told was Deadly Nightshade
(Bittersweet) or clumps of Arum Maculatum, holding them aloft proudly ?

I just *luv* the seed heads of the Arum maculatum. Not to eat off
course!

Gardening is great for kids of all ages as they learn those things only
done once. Some memorable items from my list;
1. Bite into a Walnut husk whilst green.
2. Bite into Rhubarb whilst green.
3. Taste ripe Arum Maculatum fruit.
4. Tease wasps by poking a grass stem into the hole.
5. Throw handfuls of what was thought to be fine powdery red soil at
each other, being told later that it was dried excrement.
6. Bite into a pea without checking first.

) I did a pumpkin carving workshop in my primary school once (and
never again thankyouverymuch). A lil' one was really eager to have a go
but I had to start it for him, he was too young to hold the knife. As
soon as my head was turn, he took a huge handfull of the pulp and
shoved it in his mouth. When someone pointed his doings at me, he tried
to swallow everything horrified I might shout or something. Poor lad,
he turned green - and then orange.

It's just not the same as supermarket aisles. Okay, you don't get to
fish dead stiff cats out of water tanks but we got used to it.

LOL! You know, we always help ourselves in supermarket aisles or
anywhere selling fruits. I always put on my French accent and say it's
important that my kids taste before I buy. In my local organic
supermarket, they offer free fruits at the entrance to kids.