Old 02-12-2005, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Default Children? Grandchildren? Non gardening

--
..
"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 2/12/05 1:30 pm, in article ,

"BAC"
wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

snip

Try as I might, I've read this a dozen times and I cannot see it's

relevance
to gardening, could someone please tell me where I'm going wrong?

Your only error, I suggest, would have been if you'd expected it to be
relevant to gardening in the first place. What do you want to bet the
sainted freemasons are paying for these bears?

Aha!!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

:-)))))))))))))

I just KNEW That Sascha would have her say :-)))))))))))))))

Thank you Sascha.

You have made my day :-))))))))))))))))))))))))

Mike
The truth will prevail

:-))))))))))))))))))))

Old 02-12-2005, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

Default Was Children? Grandchildren? Non gardening now:Gardeningtools to cheer up child.

La puce wrote:
Richard Brooks wrote:

Did you do the same with what we were told was Deadly Nightshade
(Bittersweet) or clumps of Arum Maculatum, holding them aloft proudly ?

I just *luv* the seed heads of the Arum maculatum. Not to eat off
course!

Glouctershire County Council gave me permission to take a few heads that
were situated near to RAF Fairford and now they're growing quite well in
my back garden.

Gardening is great for kids of all ages as they learn those things only
done once. Some memorable items from my list;
1. Bite into a Walnut husk whilst green.
2. Bite into Rhubarb whilst green.
3. Taste ripe Arum Maculatum fruit.
4. Tease wasps by poking a grass stem into the hole.
5. Throw handfuls of what was thought to be fine powdery red soil at
each other, being told later that it was dried excrement.
6. Bite into a pea without checking first.

) I did a pumpkin carving workshop in my primary school once (and
never again thankyouverymuch). A lil' one was really eager to have a go
but I had to start it for him, he was too young to hold the knife.

A bit different now, eh kids ? ;-)

As
soon as my head was turn, he took a huge handfull of the pulp and
shoved it in his mouth. When someone pointed his doings at me, he tried
to swallow everything horrified I might shout or something. Poor lad,
he turned green - and then orange.

Did it cure him and did you have a camera after saying in a half-hearted
way "no, don't do that! Stop it, no " whilst pushing another pile toward
him ? I found that putting nettles in a brown bag is a great cure for
an irritating oik who dives their hands into every bag hoping for a
handful of sweets. It's organic so it must be good for them.

It's just not the same as supermarket aisles. Okay, you don't get to
fish dead stiff cats out of water tanks but we got used to it.

LOL! You know, we always help ourselves in supermarket aisles or
anywhere selling fruits. I always put on my French accent and say it's
important that my kids taste before I buy. In my local organic
supermarket, they offer free fruits at the entrance to kids.

LOL! What a great idea. Did you take a tin opener ? It's amazing what
a French accent can do. One French girl said she'd spent the year
travelling on the trains from Croydon to London without paying a penny.

Richard.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Richard Brooks wrote:

LOL! What a great idea. Did you take a tin opener ? It's amazing what
a French accent can do. One French girl said she'd spent the year
travelling on the trains from Croydon to London without paying a penny.

You know more than you should! We just can't give the secrets away, but
it's amazing what a French accent does plus a cute smile - I've perhaps
got most of my garden pots half priced in this way, tons of manure for
free, help with digging holes in tarmac and concrete at the back of the
house, the cutting of my side wall to make a new entrance in my front
garden, free trailers/car plus driver to collect and carry stuff to my
lotty for nothing ... well, perhaps I made a diner or two. But that
doesn't count because that's the way it should be )

Old 02-12-2005, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
middleton.walker

"La puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Richard Brooks wrote:

LOL! What a great idea. Did you take a tin opener ? It's amazing what
a French accent can do. One French girl said she'd spent the year
travelling on the trains from Croydon to London without paying a penny.

You know more than you should! We just can't give the secrets away, but
it's amazing what a French accent does plus a cute smile - I've perhaps
got most of my garden pots half priced in this way, tons of manure for
free, help with digging holes in tarmac and concrete at the back of the
house, the cutting of my side wall to make a new entrance in my front
garden, free trailers/car plus driver to collect and carry stuff to my
lotty for nothing ... well, perhaps I made a diner or two. But that
doesn't count because that's the way it should be )

That is what I call a smart young lady...much better than doing what was
done that earned the milkman his 'rewards'...of course am referring to days
of years ago when home delivery was rampant and some of the folk had a hard
time paying their bill with cash

Old 02-12-2005, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tumbleweed

"La puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Tumbleweed wrote:
I assumed it was re non gardening children or grandchildren and how to
get
them interested. How about 'OT' next time?

It was about teddy bears.

How superficial, its obviously an allegory for some conspiracy or other, no
doubt run by the 'owners' of this newsgroup.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 02-12-2005, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tumbleweed

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Mike wrote:
My full apologies.

For what? I didn't particularly object to your original posting,
though it was totally off-group, but I did object to you getting
on your high horse when someone perfectly reasonably told you that
he objected to you breaking the charter.

I thought that this group had parents and grandparents in it, the type who
would show interest and compassion towards other children, as I do being a
parent and grandparent.

I felt that this was a very good idea and was interested to see how far it
had spread up the country, but as none of you are parents and
grandparents,
you would not, and therefore 'could' not see this.

I do apologise for bringing something with a header in which some could
not
understand, but really and honestly thought, that this newsgroup had a
cross
section of ages which could give me feedback.

Ah. So you are withdrawing your apologies?

Didn't your parents tell you that there is a time and a place for
everything, and didn't you tell your children the same? If not,
why not?

Mike appears to be well balanced, with a chip on each shoulder.

Old 02-12-2005, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Tumbleweed wrote:
How superficial, its obviously an allegory for some conspiracy or other, no
doubt run by the 'owners' of this newsgroup.

Are you serious?

Old 02-12-2005, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tumbleweed

"La puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Tumbleweed wrote:
How superficial, its obviously an allegory for some conspiracy or other,
no
doubt run by the 'owners' of this newsgroup.

Are you serious?

Sometimes. Why do you ask?

Old 02-12-2005, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"La puce" wrote

Tumbleweed wrote:
I assumed it was re non gardening children or grandchildren and how to
get
them interested. How about 'OT' next time?

It was about teddy bears.

Not obvious from subject heading though.

I initially assumed the same as Tumbleweed from the subject line. No
objection to the odd diversion if interesting, but OT in the title is usual
practice to help those who'd rather ignore them.

--
Sue

Old 02-12-2005, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

La puce wrote:
Richard Brooks wrote:

LOL! What a great idea. Did you take a tin opener ? It's amazing what
a French accent can do. One French girl said she'd spent the year
travelling on the trains from Croydon to London without paying a penny.

You know more than you should! We just can't give the secrets away, but
it's amazing what a French accent does plus a cute smile.

Guess the sound from the floor above ?

Female squeal! Sudden desire to do disco dance steps in the small
holurs of the morning and filling of saucepan with water from kitchen
next to them over and over again.

Althought I know no French I said to the girl and her boyfriend the next
day "did you put the fire out okay!"

French accent? Pah! Give it South American blood, raven hair, big brown
eyes (like Nermel that cat in Garfield) and naturally tanned skin (if
lucky add Cuban heeled sheer stockings and suspenders) and you could
live a life of Riley off your girlfriend who flutters her eyelashes and
pouts. Funnily enough there was a French Guyana!

- I've perhaps
got most of my garden pots half priced in this way, tons of manure for
free, help with digging holes in tarmac and concrete at the back of the
house, the cutting of my side wall to make a new entrance in my front
garden, free trailers/car plus driver to collect and carry stuff to my
lotty for nothing ... well, perhaps I made a diner or two. But that
doesn't count because that's the way it should be )

Damned right and if they imagine they hear 'Pretty Polly' swishing as a
woman walks past then so be it. I still remember my younger days of
kneeling and straightening those seams for my love before going out.

Richard. (Now pushing his face against a chisel grinder to forget.)
Old 02-12-2005, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Alan Holmes
writes

"Mike" wrote in message
When young children are involved in an accident or some other traumatic
experience, they need to be calmed and one of the ways this is being
done
is
to give TLC. A scheme which started in Sussex, spread to Hampshire and
the
Isle of Wight and is now in 32 counties is to equip Ambulances with a
little
supply of TLC's to give to the children to love and to keep. It gives
them
something to concentrate on and has a very good soothing effect.

TLC's? Little Teddy Bears and the scheme is called Teddies with Loving
Care.

As I said all ambulances in Sussex, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight are
equipped with these. Are they in your county? Just how far has the
scheme
spread and does anyone know of any other place where traumatised
children
might be and received a TLC?

Try as I might, I've read this a dozen times and I cannot see it's
relevance
to gardening, could someone please tell me where I'm going wrong?

The header says 'Non gardening', Alan, which indicates that it is off
topic. As a regular poster to ukf+d, you should be used to that
--
June Hughes

Well to me it was going to be about children who would not garden.
Then I found the abbreviation TLC which I thought meant "Thin Layer
chromatography" or more likely "Tender Loving Care" which is what little
Johnny with a bruised head needs.
But no-none of those. A potential reward for being daft.

Old 03-12-2005, 12:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian Keeling

La puce wrote:
) The first time I became aware of gardens but more to the point the
'grand importance' of my grand dad's garden is when he suddenly yelled
at me like thunder, his huge body casting a huge shadow on me, his hat
coming off, his sweat dripping off him, screaming
blueblisteringbarnecles at little me, perhaps 3 or 4 years old then, I
was holding a huge bouquet of flowers proudly, they were strawberrie
flowers ...

My mother told a similar story of how she once picked some flowers in
her father's garden. They were really pretty red flowers which were just
asking to be picked - a much reduced runner bean crop that year! Oddly,
I think he saw the funny side of it.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

See
http://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/Vi...icleID=1269766

then remember Mike Crowe's pride in the charitable activities of the
freemasons, and recent efforts in publicising their good works, and all
should become clear.