Old 04-12-2005, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson

Default Don't prune your lavender!

We normally prune our lavender after flowering, but for various
reasons this year it didn't get done. We have been delighted as a
result to see a flock of goldfinches feeding on the lavender seeds.
We've seen them on other seeds before, but not the lavender (not
surprising really since we don't normally let them seed ...).

Just thought I'd pass this on to those of you who don't worry about
too tidy a garden and might like to encourage the goldfinches.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church: http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk
Old 04-12-2005, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
We normally prune our lavender after flowering, but for various
reasons this year it didn't get done. We have been delighted as a
result to see a flock of goldfinches feeding on the lavender seeds.
We've seen them on other seeds before, but not the lavender (not
surprising really since we don't normally let them seed ...).

Just thought I'd pass this on to those of you who don't worry about
too tidy a garden and might like to encourage the goldfinches.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Thanks for the info Sally news:uk.rec.birdwatching may like to know this
as well?
(I have just set up a garden webcam)

--
Regards
James (ukjay)

Old 04-12-2005, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Hew Moore

Hi All
We normally prune our lavender after flowering, but for various
reasons this year it didn't get done. We have been delighted as a
result to see a flock of goldfinches feeding on the lavender seeds.
We've seen them on other seeds before, but not the lavender (not
surprising really since we don't normally let them seed ...).

That's most interesting - we have a 2 lavender bushes in a border beside a
small patio outside our french doors and have observed on several occasions
that they have been heaving with sparrows eating the seed - particularly the
Spanish lavender bush. We haven't seen any goldfinches there, regrettably,
but have seen them periodically on feeders in other parts of the garden.

Question for this knowledgeable group ...
We have a large (long) Leylandii hedgerow which breaks the wind over our
property in rural Lincolnshire - it's open farmland to the next village,
about 2m to the West. There is a breeze most days and when it blows - it
blows. The hedge seems to start it's smaller branches about 12 - 18 inches
above the garden and I think the former owner had the garden top soiled and
landscaped as there is probably another 18" to 2ft drop into the field
beyond.
During "the season" - that is the "weed season" - weed seeds seem to blow
under the hedge from the uncultivated edges of the farmland and I am getting
several lots of nettles and other weeds growing in the lawn (it's not a show
lawn). They are difficult to get rid of without killing the grass.
I am looking for something to help stop the ingress of weeds from the field
side and wondered about the lavender - maybe take some cuttings and build a
bush hedge up as we go along?
Nice source of food for the birds, and we have a lot!
Sensible thoughts and other ideas most welcome
Thanks & regards
Hew

Old 04-12-2005, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Hew Moore" contains these words:

Question for this knowledgeable group ...
We have a large (long) Leylandii hedgerow which breaks the wind over our
property in rural Lincolnshire

Oo-er! Another black mark in the leylandii book. I never realised it
broke wind.

[...]

Well, it's unlikely to grow directly underneath the hedge, and I can't
think of anything which will, and thrive.

You could grow (and train) clematis, wisteria, honeysuckle and other
climbers, provided they are planted well clear of the hedge and just
trained into the base of it.

A bed of a short variety of bamboo might do, or some of that weed
membrane snipped and clipped all along the inside of the hedge. That
would take all the force out of even the Fenland Fury.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 05-12-2005, 01:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned

Hew Moore wrote:

snip

Question for this knowledgeable group ...
We have a large (long) Leylandii hedgerow which breaks the wind over
our property in rural Lincolnshire - it's open farmland to the next
village, about 2m to the West. There is a breeze most days and when
it blows - it blows. The hedge seems to start it's smaller branches
about 12 - 18 inches above the garden and I think the former owner
had the garden top soiled and landscaped as there is probably

another
18" to 2ft drop into the field beyond.

With this new farm stewardship scheme being implemented by DEFRA, you
may find that the farmer will allow his field edges to develop
naturally for the sake of the wildlife. That could mean that your
hedge bottom will infill naturally from his side.

During "the season" - that is the "weed season" - weed seeds seem to
blow under the hedge from the uncultivated edges of the farmland and
I am getting several lots of nettles and other weeds growing in the
lawn (it's not a show lawn). They are difficult to get rid of

without
killing the grass.

There are several agricultural weedkillers which are specially
formulated to kill off nettles, thistles, docks, etc. without damaging
grazing pasture (ie your lawn). One that I have used in the past was
called (appropriately) Grazon. These are not readily available from
the local garden centre but, a quiet word with a neighbouring farmer
might get you a cupful (it is potent stuff and requires much
dilution).

I am looking for something to help stop the ingress of weeds from

the
field side and wondered about the lavender - maybe take some

cuttings
and build a bush hedge up as we go along?
Nice source of food for the birds, and we have a lot!
Sensible thoughts and other ideas most welcome

And for a horticultural under hedge blocker, you might try Honesty.
Honestly. :-))
It naturally took up residence under our Leylandii and does the job
quite effectively.

Both suggestions are tried and tested in rural Lincolnshire. ;-))

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 27.11.2005

Old 05-12-2005, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

I leave my Lavenders unpruned during the winter, birds enjoy the seeds
and the cover. When at last I do prune them I throw the prunings down
on the greenhouse floor, untidy maybe but the smell as you move about
the greenhouse in the winter is wonderful
kate
Old 05-12-2005, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

--
..
"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
I leave my Lavenders unpruned during the winter, birds enjoy the seeds
and the cover. When at last I do prune them I throw the prunings down
on the greenhouse floor, untidy maybe but the smell as you move about
the greenhouse in the winter is wonderful
kate

and still going on the birds feeding from the seed, have noticed the
Goldfinches on the Budliea(?) and in the last couple of days, the Sparrows
and the Bluetits on the FatBall

Mike
The truth will prevail

Old 05-12-2005, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

:

I leave my Lavenders unpruned during the winter, birds enjoy the seeds
and the cover. When at last I do prune them I throw the prunings down
on the greenhouse floor, untidy maybe but the smell as you move about
the greenhouse in the winter is wonderful

I did the flowers for someone's wedding last summer and we strew lavender
heads on the entrance to the church for people to walk over. It was
gorgeous!

bay leaves are good and walnut leaves all much better than man made
perfume, in my opinion that is, bonfire smoke, grass the list goes on
and on :-)
kate
Old 06-12-2005, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Mike wrote:
I leave my Lavenders unpruned during the winter, birds enjoy the
seeds and the cover. When at last I do prune them I throw the
prunings down on the greenhouse floor, untidy maybe but the smell as
you move about the greenhouse in the winter is wonderful
kate

and still going on the birds feeding from the seed, have noticed the
Goldfinches on the Budliea(?) and in the last couple of days, the
Sparrows and the Bluetits on the FatBall

A big fat Rattus Norvegicus was eating mine this morning and it's six feet
up.

Old 06-12-2005, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

snip
bay leaves are good and walnut leaves all much better than man made
perfume, in my opinion that is, bonfire smoke, grass the list goes on
and on :-)

The smell of bay is *wonderful* and I use that in church flower

arrangements
at Christmas time, as well as in the house. Its bonus is that it gives a
subtle olfactory nudge of the mind towards bread sauce and roast turkey.

;-)
I've never noticed the scent of walnut leaves - that will be a mission for
tomorrow! New mown grass, bonfires and for some reason, the scent of
just-extinguished candles, fireworks and matches. I must be a closet
pyromaniac!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks walnut leaves smell lovely :-)
Mine has shed all its leaves now in the bantam paddock and smell wonderful
as I tread on them.

Brilliant :-)
Today there will be people pottering about smelling leaves :-)))