Old 15-12-2005, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default How much should a gardener cost?

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Chris Bacon contains these words:

PammyT wrote:
how can I stop the garden banter posts?

You can stop seeing them by using a killfile,
or similar. I don't think you can't stop them
being posted.

Anyone certainly can prevent their original usenet posts appearing on
gardenbanter, by prefacing each one "x-no-archive-yes". My newsreader
offers that as an automated option. Set it and forget it.

Janet

And for those folk using Outlook Express you can do it this way (a bit of a
fag)
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/windows95/oe-24.html

Old 15-12-2005, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

"Janet Baraclough" wrote...
PammyT wrote:
how can I stop the garden banter posts
You can stop seeing them by using a killfile,
or similar. I don't think you can't stop them
being posted.

Anyone certainly can prevent their original usenet posts appearing on
gardenbanter, by prefacing each one "x-no-archive-yes". My newsreader
offers that as an automated option. Set it and forget it.

And for those folk using Outlook Express you can do it this way (a bit of a
fag)
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/windows95/oe-24.html

Hi Rupert - there are disadvantages to using xno=y, in that
articles aren't retained by any of the bigger repositories
such as google - so people interested in previously answered
questions can't retrieve them. I'm certainly *not* setting
it simply to avoid a tin-pot concern like G.B. (or DIYB) from
presenting my post to non-Usenet users. I think that the
disadvantages, in the wider scheme of things, far outweigh
any "advantages". What do you think?
Old 15-12-2005, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Chris Bacon" wrote
Hi Rupert - there are disadvantages to using xno=y, in that
articles aren't retained by any of the bigger repositories
such as google - so people interested in previously answered
questions can't retrieve them. I'm certainly *not* setting
it simply to avoid a tin-pot concern like G.B. (or DIYB) from
presenting my post to non-Usenet users. I think that the
disadvantages, in the wider scheme of things, far outweigh
any "advantages". What do you think?

The Google newsgroup archive is extremely helpful for all sorts of info,
not just gardening. I use it all the time for finding answers not easily
found otherwise. It's understandable why some GB posts are annoying people,
but it would be a pity if most knowledgeable posters prevented their good
advice being available for future searchers, imo.

--
Sue

Old 15-12-2005, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
"Janet Baraclough" wrote...
PammyT wrote:
[...]

I agree with Sue on this one but I certainly can see the problems associated
with the GB interface thingy as pointed out by Janet .
IMO the problem will only get worse due to the number of people who have
never heard of newsgroups and even when they have been shown all the joys
they still prefer to use forum events.

Old 15-12-2005, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

lawnmower man wrote:
Hi All

I know this is probably a thread that has been asked before and for
this i apologise. I have tried to access the archive but had no luck so
here goes!!!

Can anyone advise me as to how much a good gardener should cost to tidy
a small garden as it is a bit overgrown, and then routinely cut it and
keep it generally tidy, weeding etc.

The garden is about 5m by 10m and is about 2/3 lawn and the rest is a
kind of box hedge about 60cm high and then beds to the other 3 sides.

It is for my mother who lives in the Bradford region (West Yorkshire)
and I want her to get a good professional in who will take everything
away and make a nice job of it.

Any ideas of cost would be really appreciated so i can help her get
somebody good.

Many Thanks
Lawnmower Man

--
lawnmower man

There are charities that do gardening for elderly/disabled people (I
assume you're asking because your mum cones into such a category).
Contact Social Services, your local voluntary organisations
co-ordinator, or local Age Concern. You can explain that you can afford
to pay or make a donation, but need a recommendation. Age Concern, IU,
have lists of reliable tradesmen to avoid old people being fleeced by
cowboys.

Chris

Old 15-12-2005, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Janet Baraclough wrote:
You have a point, but since other people (not gardenbanter) started
harvesting "saleable material " from the google usenet archive for their
own financial gain , I'd stopped archiving there anyway. I know a fair
number of instances of people lifting newsgroup posts they didn't
write, to publish in magazines, websites etc as their own work, and
getting paid for it.

Janet

Janet.

Janet

I'm seeing three of you now. I'm cursed!!!!

Old 15-12-2005, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mikey

We have a gem who can do all the basic stuff, he also builds and
repairs stone walls, we pay him £10 per.hour plus tea and biscuits when
he has done,we get value for money :-)

kate
Gloucestershire

Hope he don't read t'internet newsgroups, or he'll be asking for a
rise...
Old 16-12-2005, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
newsb

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
Many threads are disrupted by GB members who post each contribution
into a new thread; or fail to show which post they reply to (so their
reply makes no sense)

They are my real bugbears with GB.

And the fact that it seems to be an "entrepreneur" looking to make money
by piggy-backing on an existing service. Parasite or "added value"? I
know which I see it as, but I guess some people wouldn't know how to use
anything other than the interweb.

--
regards andyw
Old 19-12-2005, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

We have a gem who can do all the basic stuff, he also builds and
repairs stone walls, we pay him £10 per.hour plus tea and biscuits when
he has done,we get value for money :-)

kate
Gloucestershire

Hope he don't read t'internet newsgroups, or he'll be asking for a
rise...

LOL, I think I am pretty safe there, his main interest is in finding and
doing up old tractors.

kate