Old 14-12-2005, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Default How much should a gardener cost?

Chris Bacon wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Mike wrote:
That's both of you net nanny owners of this newsgroup had a go now.
Just what is the matter with the pair of you that you BOTH have to
'Have a go' at both the poster and Garden banter?

I don't think anyone had a go at the OP, just gardenbanter, which is
surreptitiously using our postings to gain income,
(if you ever visit that hideous place you will see the adverts
littered around all over the website for which he gets an income)
and I alos don't agree with my ramblings being placed on a website
which doesn't have my permission, where does it end?

Out of curiosity, I've just had a look at gardenbanter - I can't
see intrusive ads, and AFAIK there's no reason that posts from
u.r.g shouldn't be incorporated into such a venture. The newsfeed
seems to be complete for u.r.g, as well - it's even got anti-G.B.
posts from "Sacha" and "Janet Baraclough" as well as your comments.
While I don't think I'd particularly enjoy using their interface,
I can't see a big problem with it.

The ads aren't intrusive, IE not popups or similar but they are there, just
clicking on the UK 'banter' department gives you this page, which contains
no less than 15 advertsement links:
https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/

clicking on any of the threads gives different adverts, EG clicking the one
about 'planting bulbs on a late...' gives specific ads relating to bulbs,
"buy flower bulbs direct" £buy flower bulbs for less" Flower bulbs are us"
etc etc...clicking on the post entitled 'gates' brings up similar garbage
"foxwedge gates Ltd" " jacksons security fencing" and so on.

Old 14-12-2005, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

Rupert wrote:
I don't use GB but I can see that broken threads will cause confusion,
although neither Chris or I can find any.

Hang on, Rupe (if I may call you that) - I haven't looked for
broken threads. Is there an "internal post" function to G.B.?
If people there post to u.r.g. from there, presumably they'll
reply here each time to, won't they? I'd like to see (be shown!
one of these "broken threads", just to satisfy my curiosity.

I see there'e a "sticky" article (not my terminology!) with the
title "abc for newcomers to uk.rec.gardening. Please read...
before posting" which recommends that the u.r.g. charter/FAQs
be read, which should help noobs.

The problem is not helped by Isp's who do not offer news or email servers
and rely totally on web based stuff. Under those circumstances the Newbie or
Pro will have problems conforming to standards

Many people who "use the 'net" have never heard of Usenet, or
anything much apart from Microsoft products. However, that's
probably a topic for another place...
Old 14-12-2005, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

Phil L wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Out of curiosity, I've just had a look at gardenbanter - I can't
see intrusive ads, and AFAIK there's no reason that posts from
u.r.g shouldn't be incorporated into such a venture.

The ads aren't intrusive, IE not popups or similar but they are there, just
clicking on the UK 'banter' department gives you this page, which contains
no less than 15 advertsement links:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=41

But they're only visible to G.B. users, not here... what
is the issue? Mightn't they be useful for a subset of
gardeners? Even the RHS accepts (and charges for!)
advertisements!
Old 14-12-2005, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Rupert wrote:
I don't use GB but I can see that broken threads will cause confusion,
although neither Chris or I can find any.

Hang on, Rupe (if I may call you that) - I haven't looked for
broken threads. Is there an "internal post" function to G.B.?
If people there post to u.r.g. from there, presumably they'll
reply here each time to, won't they? I'd like to see (be shown!
one of these "broken threads", just to satisfy my curiosity.

Sorry Chris--my bad/wrong terminology.----

What I meant was both you and I could not see any evidence to support the
"missing posts" that Michael referred to.

Old 14-12-2005, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Rupert wrote:
I don't use GB but I can see that broken threads will cause
confusion, although neither Chris or I can find any.

Hang on, Rupe (if I may call you that) - I haven't looked for
broken threads. Is there an "internal post" function to G.B.?
If people there post to u.r.g. from there, presumably they'll
reply here each time to, won't they? I'd like to see (be shown!
one of these "broken threads", just to satisfy my curiosity.

Sorry Chris--my bad/wrong terminology.----

What I meant was both you and I could not see any evidence to support
the "missing posts" that Michael referred to.

If you stay here for any length of time you will, GB archives posts and it's
not uncommon for someone to post a reply almost two years later through
their website! - it lands here as a new post, very often with all preceeding
text snipped so that no one knows what it's about, EG:

Elephant dung

Yes I've heard you can get them from Sears but they only have the yellow
ones left, $3.50 for four.

Old 14-12-2005, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

I don't use GB but I can see that broken threads will cause confusion,
although neither Chris or I can find any.

The following was posted on here via gardenbanter, in response to a
post made on uk.rec.gardening on Nov 4 2002

The names and addresses have been obscured

----

Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
From: XXX -
Find messages by this author
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 08:28:34 +0000
Subject: Anyone want some Ipomea seeds?
Message | Show original | Report Abuse

Dear XXXXXX, if you would really like to offload a few Ipomea seeds I
would love them especially magenta. Have you tried variety 'Grandpa
Oats' lovely deep purple with magenta star. My address 5 XXXXXX
XXXXXXXX. XXXX XXX
Many Thanks
XXX

----

michael adams

Old 14-12-2005, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

michael adams wrote:
I don't use GB but I can see that broken threads will cause confusion,
although neither Chris or I can find any.

The following was posted on here via gardenbanter, in response to a
post made on uk.rec.gardening on Nov 4 2002
[snip]

Um, but that's just someone replying to an old article! The
threading seems fine. In addition, the article as seen on
gardenbanter has got the posting date in it!

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/showth...ghlight=Ipomea
Old 14-12-2005, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
Rupert wrote:
[...]

Ok thanks for that explanation. I must admit I've been here for many years
and never noticed --I used to be don but there were too many other dons
around in other groups so I changed to a Rupert.

Old 14-12-2005, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

michael adams wrote:
I don't use GB but I can see that broken threads will cause confusion,
although neither Chris or I can find any.

The following was posted on here via gardenbanter, in response to a
post made on uk.rec.gardening on Nov 4 2002
[snip]

Um, but that's just someone replying to an old article!

What possible benefit or amenity is there to anyone, in
allowing them to respond to articles which are over three
years old ?

Are you suggesting that anyone who posts an article on UseNet
on any subject, should thereby be obliged to follow up
all polite reponses to that aricle in perpetuity? Either that
or appear unconscionably rude?

Google who actually contribute rather than parasitse
on Usenet, sensibly impose a 30 day limit for replies

Google Groups Help

quote

Can I reply to older posts in the archive?

You can reply to any message in Google Groups that was posted
in the last 30 days. After 30 days, the option to post a reply
to the message is removed. In Usenet proper, articles are usually
retired (removed completely) if they are inactive for 30 days.
Removing the option to post a reply to a message more than 30
days old simulates this feature in Google Groups.

/quote

Some users may find plenty to complain about in respect of the new
Beta Google Groups interface, as compared with before, but Google
are at least firmly committed to maintaining the Usenet archive.

Unlike Gardenbanter who are little less than a shower of parasites
who are simply seeking to interpose themselves between UseNet,
which is a free public forum open to all, and potential users
of UseNet.

Furthermore it's open to parasites such as Gardenbanter,
to restrict full access, to who don't know any better, to all
the free resource of Usenet, by denying them the ability to post.
By failing to recognise their password.

This applies equally to Google Groups of course, except Google
aren't merely parasites, and are possibly more accountable having
a wider and more knowledgeable user base.

This is all I have to say on the subject.

Old 14-12-2005, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

michael adams wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote...
michael adams wrote:

I don't use GB but I can see that broken threads will cause confusion,
although neither Chris or I can find any.

The following was posted on here via gardenbanter, in response to a
post made on uk.rec.gardening on Nov 4 2002
[snip]

Um, but that's just someone replying to an old article!

What possible benefit or amenity is there to anyone, in
allowing them to respond to articles which are over three
years old ?

Things do come up again and again - old articles may be usefully
used for context or reference.

Are you suggesting that anyone who posts an article on UseNet
on any subject, should thereby be obliged to follow up
all polite reponses to that aricle in perpetuity? Either that
or appear unconscionably rude?

No, and nowhere have I said that, or implied it.

Google who actually contribute rather than parasitse
on Usenet, sensibly impose a 30 day limit for replies

You can still reply to old articles from Google, it's just
a bit more involved.

Unlike Gardenbanter who are little less than a shower of parasites
who are simply seeking to interpose themselves between UseNet,
which is a free public forum open to all, and potential users
of UseNet.

Gardenbanter seems to be free - I haven't been asked for
money. Is thete something which prevents Gardenbanter users
switching to post straight to u.r.gt (or wherever)?

Furthermore it's open to parasites such as Gardenbanter,
to restrict full access, to who don't know any better, to all
the free resource of Usenet, by denying them the ability to post.
By failing to recognise their password.

Um... not sure what you mean, here.

This applies equally to Google Groups of course, except Google
aren't merely parasites, and are possibly more accountable having
a wider and more knowledgeable user base.

Quite possibly.

This is all I have to say on the subject.

Oh. OK.

Old 14-12-2005, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PammyT

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 12/12/05 15:02, in article , "Rupert"
wrote:

Around here, Bradford, I guess you would expect 5-10 per hour.
I would be inclined to get a fixed price for clearing and getting the

garden
in an OK state first.

"lawnmower man" wrote in

message

Hi All

I know this is probably a thread that has been asked before and for
this i apologise. I have tried to access the archive but had no luck so
here goes!!!

Can anyone advise me as to how much a good gardener should cost to tidy
a small garden as it is a bit overgrown, and then routinely cut it and
keep it generally tidy, weeding etc.

The garden is about 5m by 10m and is about 2/3 lawn and the rest is a
kind of box hedge about 60cm high and then beds to the other 3 sides.

It is for my mother who lives in the Bradford region (West Yorkshire)
and I want her to get a good professional in who will take everything
away and make a nice job of it.

Any ideas of cost would be really appreciated so i can help her get
somebody good.

Could you try to post directly to and from urg, please? Garden Banter

does
not have permission from most people here to use their posts and is simply
living off the efforts of others. I don't get garden banter posts at all,
and I doubt I'm the only one so it might be more helpful to you now and in
the future to use urg directly, if you can.

how can I stop the garden banter posts?

Old 14-12-2005, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

PammyT wrote:
how can I stop the garden banter posts?

You can stop seeing them by using a killfile,
or similar. I don't think you can't stop them
being posted. Your using Outbreak Distress, I
see - there may be a "tools-rules wizard"
option.
Old 14-12-2005, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Chris Bacon wrote:
PammyT wrote:
how can I stop the garden banter posts?

You can stop seeing them by using a killfile,
or similar. I don't think you can't stop them
being posted. Your using Outbreak Distress, I
see - there may be a "tools-rules wizard"
option.

Message rules: it's clunky, and I can't get it to work properly.
And since gb isn't part of Usenet, I don't think you can even
subscribe to it via OE -- which you have to do in order to rule it
out. (I don't feel the need to exclude the few gb messages anyhow, so
it's academic for me.)

--
Mike.

Old 14-12-2005, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"PammyT" wrote in message

how can I stop the garden banter posts?

Highlight (single click) any post from a gardenbanter
poster in the List Window

say lawnmowerman for the sake of argument

Choose the Message menu at the top

Choose [Create Rule From Message]

In the top pane, tick the box

[ ] Where the From line contains people

That will then show the posters' name in blue say
'

When you pass the cursor over the name and click it, you can then
change or add to it. In the text window that pops up, just type
@gardenbanter.co.uk, click the [add] button and
"or @gardenbanter.co.uk" will be added to the killfile list.

Then in the second pane, choose the action by clicking on the
[ ] delete it box

this will delete (killfile) both lawnmower man and all the
other gardenbanter posts.

michael adams