Old 13-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnmower man
Hi All

I know this is probably a thread that has been asked before and for this i apologise. I have tried to access the archive but had no luck so here goes!!!

Can anyone advise me as to how much a good gardener should cost to tidy a small garden as it is a bit overgrown, and then routinely cut it and keep it generally tidy, weeding etc.

The garden is about 5m by 10m and is about 2/3 lawn and the rest is a kind of box hedge about 60cm high and then beds to the other 3 sides.

It is for my mother who lives in the Bradford region (West Yorkshire) and I want her to get a good professional in who will take everything away and make a nice job of it.

Any ideas of cost would be really appreciated so i can help her get somebody good.

Many Thanks
Lawnmower Man
Hello
I do a bit of gardening in Bradford. You're v. welcome to drop me a line at & we could see if i can help you with this?
cheers
Kirsty
Old 13-12-2005, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Default How much should a gardener cost?

lawnmower man wrote:
Can anyone advise me as to how much a good gardener should cost to tidy
a small garden as it is a bit overgrown, and then routinely cut it and
keep it generally tidy, weeding etc.

(snip)

Councils salary for 37 hours/ week working gardeners you can expect
£200/£335 per week depending on experience. That gives you an idea of
the average for a gardener, £9 per hour is the norm. My friend charges
£8/hour and he is doing small gardens like yours. He uses all his own
tools and doesn't drink tea... He offers an annual timetable to his
customers and decide as a contract the work needed in advance. Some
people want nothing to do with it, others would like to 'learn' - he's
a flexible gardener.

Use: http://www.ufindus.com to find a gardener in your area.

Old 13-12-2005, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Sacha wrote:
On 12/12/05 19:40, in article
, "Saxman"
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 18:40:56 +0000, Sacha wrote:

the person who looks after the local churchyard........

They get paid nothing!

Really? Where is that? You mean whoever does it, does it for love?
AFAIK, sextons get paid, surely? However, they might be willing to do
such work themselves or know people who do.

My neighbour does the lawn at his church along with the beds and the
weeding, he does it for nothing....I might set up a large crucifix in my
garden and see if he'll do mine.
:-p

Old 13-12-2005, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Mike wrote:
That's both of you net nanny owners of this newsgroup had a go now.

Just what is the matter with the pair of you that you BOTH have to
'Have a go' at both the poster and Garden banter?

I don't think anyone had a go at the OP, just gardenbanter, which is
surreptitiously using our postings to gain income,
(if you ever visit that hideous place you will see the adverts littered
around all over the website for which he gets an income) and I alos don't
agree with my ramblings being placed on a website which doesn't have my
permission, where does it end? - what if another 'portal' opened up, one
with illegal stuff on it and used my (or your) quotes, would you still be
happy to be 'associated' with it then?

Old 13-12-2005, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
TR

shove an ad in the local shop window for a gardener \ odd job man
at £7 to £8 an hr cash for 3 to 4 hrs a week
and wait for the line to form i pay mine £20 for 3 hrs a week he mows the
lawn generaly tidys and smiles a lot when i take him for a pint he's on
benifits and likes a bit of cash on the side
lay down the rules ie he mows teh lawn tidies the borders does the odd hr
extra in the summer and gets the odd hr off in the winter as is needed and
bung him a good xmas box
you will be suprised at how many older pentioners apply just for the pin
money mine gets to keep all the seedlings ect he dont plant so he gets his
stuff for free
it works
try it you dont need to spend a fortune
just utalise the local black economy
and moraly who loses i rather employ some one on a ad hoc basis who enjoys
the job than a proffessional anyday

"La puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 14-12-2005, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

TR wrote:

[...]

Good for you TR. I've just found out that another mate charges £17 per
hour. Tis because of the taxes, he said. Bless him ;o)

Old 14-12-2005, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"TR" you @me wrote in message ...
he's on benifits and likes a bit of cash on the side

One of those. A cowboy who is doing proper folk out of a job.
BTW If you knowingly employ someone who is claiming unemployment benefit
then you too may be liable to prosecution, when and if the gaff is up

Old 14-12-2005, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

Phil L wrote:
Mike wrote:
That's both of you net nanny owners of this newsgroup had a go now.
Just what is the matter with the pair of you that you BOTH have to
'Have a go' at both the poster and Garden banter?

I don't think anyone had a go at the OP, just gardenbanter, which is
surreptitiously using our postings to gain income,
(if you ever visit that hideous place you will see the adverts littered
around all over the website for which he gets an income) and I alos don't
agree with my ramblings being placed on a website which doesn't have my
permission, where does it end?

Out of curiosity, I've just had a look at gardenbanter - I can't
see intrusive ads, and AFAIK there's no reason that posts from
u.r.g shouldn't be incorporated into such a venture. The newsfeed
seems to be complete for u.r.g, as well - it's even got anti-G.B.
posts from "Sacha" and "Janet Baraclough" as well as your comments.
While I don't think I'd particularly enjoy using their interface,
I can't see a big problem with it.
Old 14-12-2005, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

La puce wrote:
lawnmower man wrote:
Can anyone advise me as to how much a good gardener should cost to tidy
a small garden as it is a bit overgrown, and then routinely cut it and
keep it generally tidy, weeding etc.

Councils salary for 37 hours/ week working gardeners you can expect
£200/£335 per week depending on experience. That gives you an idea of
the average for a gardener, £9 per hour is the norm.

A relative of mine pays her "gardener" (council gardener who
does odds and ends) £10 per hour, for a couple of hours a week.
He's not the brightest chap, but is OK at general tidying up,
trimming and so on. I think he's learning a thing or two on
the job, too!
Old 14-12-2005, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Phil L wrote:
Mike wrote:
[...]

Glad you said that. It's probably what a lot of people are thinking.
Prepare to be educated by Janet & Sacha

Old 14-12-2005, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

Rupert wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote...
Out of curiosity, I've just had a look at gardenbanter [snip]
I can't see a big problem with it.

Glad you said that. It's probably what a lot of people are thinking.

Well, the posters *are* probably gardeners, aren't they!
Old 14-12-2005, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Phil L wrote:
Mike wrote:
[...]

That isn't the problem.

The problem is that posts show up on here from people posting in
Gardenbanter, who are totally unaware of Usenet or NewsGroups,
at all, and who are often responding to messages in Gardenbanter
which don't even show up on here.

After a while, as you may imagine it can get a bit wearing.

One basic assumption about NewsGroups is that most people who post
will get the hang of things by first reading the NewsGroup for a
while. Many of the posts from Gardenbanter are from total newbies
attracted to their website for some reason, who don't really have
a clue. And it's not the role of NewsGroups to have to put them
straight as to how the Banter websites work - "Gardenbanter" isn't
the only one you'll be pleased to know - and their relation to
Usenet and NewsGroups. That should be the job of the Banter
sites.
And because they're from newbies, its impossible to killfile
all their posts in advance. Allegedly.

michael adams

Old 14-12-2005, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

amended:

Phil L wrote:
Mike wrote:
That's both of you net nanny owners of this newsgroup had a go now.
Just what is the matter with the pair of you that you BOTH have to
'Have a go' at both the poster and Garden banter?

I don't think anyone had a go at the OP, just gardenbanter, which is
surreptitiously using our postings to gain income,
(if you ever visit that hideous place you will see the adverts littered
around all over the website for which he gets an income) and I alos

don't
agree with my ramblings being placed on a website which doesn't have my
permission, where does it end?

Out of curiosity, I've just had a look at gardenbanter - I can't
see intrusive ads,

Having just had a look, like all the banters sites its
used for harvesting email addresses from particular interest
groups.

You need a password to post, for which you need to give them a valid
email address. Most newbies won't think twice and will end up getting
inundated with spam.

Old 14-12-2005, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

michael adams wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote...
Out of curiosity, I've just had a look at gardenbanter

Having just had a look, like all the banters sites its
used for harvesting email addresses from particular interest
groups.

You need a password to post, for which you need to give them a valid
email address. Most newbies won't think twice and will end up getting
inundated with spam.

It doesn't say anything about that in their "privacy
statement". I've registered, to see what happens!
Old 14-12-2005, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Phil L wrote:
Mike wrote:
[...]

I don't use GB but I can see that broken threads will cause confusion,
although neither Chris or I can find any.
The problem is not helped by Isp's who do not offer news or email servers
and rely totally on web based stuff. Under those circumstances the Newbie or
Pro will have problems conforming to standards