Old 22-12-2005, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

Default Anyone know the rose Mme Alfred Carriere? Other climber suggestions?

In message m, VX
writes
So I just ordered a couple of Alberic Barbier. It sounds very good- I
especially like the references to A.B. having "been seen growing quite
happily in unsuitable conditions".

Do keep your eye on good old Alberic, though: I was glued to the
computer for a few months thanks to some tight deadlines ... and before
I knew it Alberic had grown taller and taller (something like 6 feet in
two months), and suddenly, lacking support, it all bent down and covered
the front door!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 22-12-2005, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 22/12/05 14:23, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

snip
Some roses
can be cut back very hard; others aren't so keen.

Rosa Banksia, for example, flowers on old wood so doesn't like being cut
back. Only take out the stems that need to be removed for tidying or, in
cases such as ours, being able to open the bedroom window!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 23-12-2005, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sarah Dale

VX wrote:
I'd really like to understand this- can I ask what it is about ramblers that
seems more flexible (and easier to grow)? If I can get my head round this I
could be on to something (like knowing what I'm doing and even maybe making a
good choice....)

I don't know what it is, but generally a 'rambler' is more flexible and
easy to train than a 'climber', in terms of pruning they are treated
pretty much the same - or in my experience at any rate. As Nick
commented, there is very little difference, and a 'climbing rose' does
not fit the true definition of a climbing plant in general!

Have a look at Hessayson's Rose Expert - a very useful book.

Sarah