Old 18-12-2005, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Hew Moore

Default Pruning a Walnut Tree

Hi All
My lovely walnut tree has only just shed it's last leaves and dropped it's
harvest of walnuts.
Examining it today I see it's already got shoots on it.
Just when do I prune it please?
I so wanted to remove some of the lower branches to save me limbo dancing
under them, with the lawnmower, in the months ahead!
Any special procedures etc., please?
Many thanks and seasons greetings to all
Hew

Old 18-12-2005, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Hew Moore" wrote in message
Hi All
My lovely walnut tree has only just shed it's last leaves and dropped it's
harvest of walnuts.
Examining it today I see it's already got shoots on it.
Just when do I prune it please?
I so wanted to remove some of the lower branches to save me limbo dancing
under them, with the lawnmower, in the months ahead!
Any special procedures etc., please?
Many thanks and seasons greetings to all
Hew

The link below tells you how to prune and when--
It says:-Trees such as elm, maple, birch, dogwood and walnut bleed freely if
pruned in late winter, so prune them in early summer.
I must admit that I would prune regardless of the bleeding in winter.

http://www.co.fairfax.va.us/parks/re...gardening3.htm

Old 18-12-2005, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

"Hew Moore" wrote in message
Hi All
My lovely walnut tree has only just shed it's last leaves and dropped it's
harvest of walnuts.
Examining it today I see it's already got shoots on it.
Just when do I prune it please?
I so wanted to remove some of the lower branches to save me limbo dancing
under them, with the lawnmower, in the months ahead!
Any special procedures etc., please?
Many thanks and seasons greetings to all
Hew

~~~~~~~~~~
Any time now will be OK. Make the first cut a couple of feet away
from the bole so that you can support that part remaining during the final
cut. Next year look out for new growths and rub them out while young.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 18-12-2005, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Hew Moore

Thanks for your kind replies .. all points noted.
Have a great Christmas & an even better New Year.
Regards to all
Hew.
PS - I must admit that I would prune regardless of the bleeding in
winter. - Personally I try to keep my fingers out of the way - it just gets
too messy!! (;D

Old 18-12-2005, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Hew Moore" wrote in message
Thanks for your kind replies .. all points noted.
Have a great Christmas & an even better New Year.
Regards to all
Hew.
PS - I must admit that I would prune regardless of the bleeding in
winter. - Personally I try to keep my fingers out of the way - it just
gets
too messy!! (;D

If you are that grateful you might offer uz all a few free nuts:-)

Old 19-12-2005, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian Keeling

Hew Moore wrote:
Thanks for your kind replies .. all points noted.
Have a great Christmas & an even better New Year.
Regards to all
Hew.

I don't want to throw a spanner in the works, but the advice I've read
on walnuts is that they don't respond well to pruning. I can't remember
though what the bad effects are likely to be - maybe the tree just won't
look quite right as it won't put on the new growth you want.
Old 19-12-2005, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Ian Keeling wrote:
I don't want to throw a spanner in the works, but the advice I've read
on walnuts is that they don't respond well to pruning. I can't remember
though what the bad effects are likely to be - maybe the tree just won't
look quite right as it won't put on the new growth you want.

You are right. They are very disease prone. It is a shame my grand dad
cannot be there to tell us some more but I have never ever seen any of
our walnuts being pruned ever. At my grand parents house we have 4 and
I spent most of my youth with brown fingers in November from picking
them from the ground. The 'brou shell' was left behind and we dried
them in a shed only for them and the apples. The smells were fantastic.

Old 19-12-2005, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Ian Keeling" wrote in message
Hew Moore wrote:
Thanks for your kind replies .. all points noted.
Have a great Christmas & an even better New Year.
Regards to all
Hew.

I don't want to throw a spanner in the works, but the advice I've read on
walnuts is that they don't respond well to pruning. I can't remember
though what the bad effects are likely to be - maybe the tree just won't
look quite right as it won't put on the new growth you want.

When mine was developing, the branches were at a very low level, and that
became VERY inconvenient, so I cut all the branches off the trunk up to
about 7 feet, the tree has grown massive since then.

So your theory is wrong, at least in my case.

But how do you imagine other growers treat their trees, I'm sure they do not
allow branches to grow at jjst a couple of feet fron the ground.

Alan

Old 19-12-2005, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
gb

I keep all the low branches off the floor by 6ft. So I can get under
without poking my eyes out.

Also so the squirrels cannot jump onto them.

I also wrap sheetmetal around the trunk to stop the squirrels
climbing the trunk. Not very attractive, but effective thou.
Old 19-12-2005, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

I also wrap sheetmetal around the trunk to stop the squirrels
climbing the trunk. Not very attractive, but effective thou.

Would it not be better and less obtrusive to fit a 'rat catcher', as fitted
to ship's hawsers, a bit further up? OK they climb up the trunk so far then
....................... :-))

Mike

Old 19-12-2005, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
gb

Its easier to make a rectangular wrap around piece of sheet metal, as
opposed to a frisbee shaped disc.

Old 19-12-2005, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"gb" wrote in message
news
I keep all the low branches off the floor by 6ft. So I can get under
without poking my eyes out.

Also so the squirrels cannot jump onto them.

I also wrap sheetmetal around the trunk to stop the squirrels
climbing the trunk. Not very attractive, but effective thou.

What a brilliant idea, I wish I had thought of that, but in the long run I
prefer to catch the buggers and dispose of them.

Alan

Old 20-12-2005, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian Keeling

Alan Holmes wrote:

I don't want to throw a spanner in the works, but the advice I've read on
walnuts is that they don't respond well to pruning. I can't remember
though what the bad effects are likely to be - maybe the tree just won't
look quite right as it won't put on the new growth you want.

When mine was developing, the branches were at a very low level, and that
became VERY inconvenient, so I cut all the branches off the trunk up to
about 7 feet, the tree has grown massive since then.

So your theory is wrong, at least in my case.

But how do you imagine other growers treat their trees, I'm sure they do not
allow branches to grow at jjst a couple of feet fron the ground.

I have just looked up the details (not my theory but misremembered
advice published by the RHS) and my memory was at fault. The advice
actually says that it doesn't respond well when cut back hard (applies
equally to Juglans nigra and J. regia). I should have looked it up
first. Apologies for the confusion I may have caused.

It does, however, also say that pruning should be kept to a minimum,
because they bleed profusely and that some species should not be pruned
at all (J. californica, J. hindsii, J. microcarpa). There's a fair bit
of detailed advice to do with minimising die-back (by not being careful
not to leave stubs) leaving the collar intact if removing larger limbs.