Old 28-11-2003, 03:08 PM
Neil Robertson

Default Pruning Walnut Tree

I have a walnut tree approx 13 years old that needs light pruning. Could
anybody tell me the best time and way of going about this task. I live in
East Anglia and the tree is a good bearer of nuts most years.

Diane Robertson

Old 28-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Nick Wagg

Neil Robertson wrote:

I have a walnut tree approx 13 years old that needs light pruning. Could
anybody tell me the best time and way of going about this task. I live in
East Anglia and the tree is a good bearer of nuts most years.

We'll have no baring of nuts round here, thank you.
--
Nick Wagg
Old 29-11-2003, 12:06 PM
Derek Turner

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 15:00:23 +0000 (UTC), "Neil Robertson"
wrote:

I have a walnut tree approx 13 years old that needs light pruning. Could
anybody tell me the best time and way of going about this task. I live in
East Anglia and the tree is a good bearer of nuts most years.

A woman, a dog and a walnut tree;
The more you beat them the better they be.

Old 30-11-2003, 06:13 PM
Neil Robertson

"Neil Robertson" wrote in message
I have a walnut tree approx 13 years old that needs light pruning. Could
anybody tell me the best time and way of going about this task. I live in
East Anglia and the tree is a good bearer of nuts most years.

Diane Robertson

I subscribed to this newsgroup thinking I would be able to obtain sensible
answers to my gardening questions. How silly I was if what I see are the
only replies to date!

Old 30-11-2003, 06:33 PM
Franz Heymann

"Neil Robertson" wrote in message

"Neil Robertson" wrote in message
I have a walnut tree approx 13 years old that needs light pruning. Could
anybody tell me the best time and way of going about this task. I live

in
East Anglia and the tree is a good bearer of nuts most years.

Diane Robertson

I subscribed to this newsgroup thinking I would be able to obtain sensible
answers to my gardening questions. How silly I was if what I see are the
only replies to date!

The word "nuts" seems to evoke uncontrlllable paroxysms of laughter in some
folk. The fact
that no one else replied with sensible guidelines simply means that nobody
in the ng has sufficient experience of handling walnuts to risk replying.

Please don't unsubscribe. There is a lot of excellent advice and good fun
floating
around here.

Franz

Old 30-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Rod

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 17:52:30 +0000, Neil Robertson wrote:

"Neil Robertson" wrote in message
I have a walnut tree approx 13 years old that needs light pruning. Could
anybody tell me the best time and way of going about this task. I live in
East Anglia and the tree is a good bearer of nuts most years.

Diane Robertson

I subscribed to this newsgroup thinking I would be able to obtain sensible
answers to my gardening questions. How silly I was if what I see are the
only replies to date!

Walnuts are not a big part of my experience but don't prune in the spring
- it will bleed quite badly from large cuts. I am not sure why you need to
prune it unless it's getting too big for the place you've planted it in.

Hoping Anton's around somewhere he will be able to give you more reliable
info.

Rod
Old 30-11-2003, 08:33 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Neil Robertson" contains these words:

I subscribed to this newsgroup thinking I would be able to obtain sensible
answers to my gardening questions. How silly I was if what I see are the
only replies to date!

I've never heard of anyone pruning a walnut tree. Why does it need it?

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 30-11-2003, 08:48 PM
martin

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:44:03 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from "Neil Robertson" contains these words:

I subscribed to this newsgroup thinking I would be able to obtain sensible
answers to my gardening questions. How silly I was if what I see are the
only replies to date!

I've never heard of anyone pruning a walnut tree. Why does it need it?

They prune them in California, where they grow walnuts commercially.
--
Martin
Old 30-11-2003, 09:05 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Neil Robertson" contains these words:

I subscribed to this newsgroup thinking I would be able to obtain sensible
answers to my gardening questions. How silly I was if what I see are the
only replies to date!

I've never heard of anyone pruning a walnut tree. Why does it need it?

I did it for a tree growing on the lawn that my wife wants to sit
under not in - i.e. I removed all low branches. They can outgrow
the space they are allotted or get out of shape just as much as
any other tree can.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 30-11-2003, 09:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Neil Robertson
writes

"Neil Robertson" wrote in message
I have a walnut tree approx 13 years old that needs light pruning. Could
anybody tell me the best time and way of going about this task. I live in
East Anglia and the tree is a good bearer of nuts most years.

Diane Robertson

I subscribed to this newsgroup thinking I would be able to obtain sensible
answers to my gardening questions. How silly I was if what I see are the
only replies to date!

Oh dear. You were misinformed, then. We are not an advice bureau; we are
a group of people who chat about gardening. You are most welcome to join
in our chat :-)

But any answering of questions we do is entirely voluntary -sometimes
you will get answers, sometimes you will not, depending on who reads
your post, what knowledge they have, and whether they have the time or
inclination to pass on their knowledge.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 30-11-2003, 10:13 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:
wrote:
The message
from "Neil Robertson" contains these words:

I subscribed to this newsgroup thinking I would be able to obtain
sensible
answers to my gardening questions. How silly I was if what I see are the
only replies to date!

I've never heard of anyone pruning a walnut tree. Why does it need it?

They prune them in California, where they grow walnuts commercially.

Yes, but that's because the wetbacks are mostly small.