Old 03-01-2006, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
RzB

Default Trellis killing plants...

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

RzB wrote:

Withering leaves etc...

Can you describe a bit more what your leaves look like?! And when does
this happen? Do you have something else growing around/close to them?

Ok - below is a link to two photographs -

NB - photos taken today - not back in the summer.

I wish I had photographed the leaves back in the summer!

If you don't have broadband click on the thumbnail or on
the word small.

www.gillandroy.com/trellis

The first picture shows one of the potted Clematis plants,
trellis and the interwoven twigs/branches.

The second picture show the normally very healthy
Clematis that grows up the house. It has a Fuscia in
front of it. This Clematis grows up a plastic netting
attached to the house. We put a twig/branch from the
wall to the trellis. The Clematis hapily crossed this
bridge but the stems/leaves became very unhappy as
soon as it reached the trellis.

Describe the leaves. Hmm.. bit difficult to say now as
I don't have them in front of me. However the leaves of
the stems climbing the twigs looked like normal healthy
Clematis leaves. The leaves on the stems that come into
contact with the trellis, wilt over a few days and turn
black and die. The plants were purchased in early
summer - probably about May.

What is around them - Begonia's in pots - lot's of 'em :-)

Many thanks for your help.
Roy

Old 03-01-2006, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

RzB wrote:

NB - photos taken today - not back in the summer.

(snip)

Something's wrong with my google beta ... I'll try again. Roy, it seems
that Bob was right. It is not sheltered enough once your clematis gets
to the trellis. It is suffering from winds and cold spells there. On
the wall it is fine. A friend did like you, and made a corner with
trellis for her clematis, north facing, but she has an evergreen
ceanothus with it and this gives it enough protection, it seems. Maybe
you could cover one side of the trellis like a fence and see the
difference next spring. Or grow something else with it to give it more
protection.

Old 03-01-2006, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
RzB

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

RzB wrote:

NB - photos taken today - not back in the summer.

(snip)

Something's wrong with my google beta ... I'll try again. Roy, it seems
that Bob was right. It is not sheltered enough once your clematis gets
to the trellis. It is suffering from winds and cold spells there. On
the wall it is fine. A friend did like you, and made a corner with
trellis for her clematis, north facing, but she has an evergreen
ceanothus with it and this gives it enough protection, it seems. Maybe
you could cover one side of the trellis like a fence and see the
difference next spring. Or grow something else with it to give it more
protection.

Many thanks for your help.

Why were the leaves/stems growing on
the twigs/branches OK? Also this area gets
hardly and wind. It's in a depression
surrounded by high trees, and higher ground
on the westerly side..

Hmm - perhaps we will try something different
this year...

Many thanks,
Roy

Old 03-01-2006, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

RzB wrote:

Why were the leaves/stems growing on
the twigs/branches OK?

Cosier, more protected by the twigs/branches?! Delicate things
clematis. I once grew one, the name escape me, but quite an horrible
one at that, huge green flowers, up a lilac tree. When the lilac was
little, the clematis enjoyed the cosiness, as soon as the branches grew
taller with less protection, the clematis just didn't like the openess
around it. (I was quite glad actually ;o)

Also this area gets
hardly and wind. It's in a depression
surrounded by high trees, and higher ground
on the westerly side..
Hmm - perhaps we will try something different
this year...

Absolutely. I'd favour giving it some protection from one side. You
don't even need to cover the whole trellis. Just that corner from the
wall to perhaps 1m onto the trellis, and see. Let us know!

Old 03-01-2006, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
RzB

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

RzB wrote:

Why were the leaves/stems growing on
the twigs/branches OK?

Cosier, more protected by the twigs/branches?!

Naaa... not at all - exactly the same really.

Delicate things clematis. I once grew one, the name escape me,
but quite an horrible one at that, huge green flowers, up a lilac tree.
When the lilac was little, the clematis enjoyed the cosiness, as soon
as the branches grew taller with less protection, the clematis just
didn't like the openess around it. (I was quite glad actually ;o)

Also this area gets
hardly and wind. It's in a depression
surrounded by high trees, and higher ground
on the westerly side..
Hmm - perhaps we will try something different
this year...

Absolutely. I'd favour giving it some protection from one side. You
don't even need to cover the whole trellis. Just that corner from the
wall to perhaps 1m onto the trellis, and see. Let us know!

Hmm - covering a trellis seems to defeat the
object of a trellis! Also, the the 1M you suggest
covering is already the most protected.

I'm sort of convinced it's summat to do with the
treatment that has been applied to the trellis.

The option I have is to try the trellis with some
other plant or scrap the whole lot and start again.
And make sure that whatever I use is treated with
plant friendly stuff!

Hmm - thinking cap on... :-)

Many thanks for your thoughts on this...
Roy

Good trellis plants Paul M. Cook Gardening 28 21-08-2010 02:27 AM
Plants for Trellis Beags Gardening 5 26-04-2010 07:39 AM
Plants for Trellis - Please help us - thank you. Beags Garden Photos 0 21-04-2010 08:28 PM
What plants can I grow on a trellis? [email protected] United Kingdom 9 29-01-2008 12:53 PM
Good plants for a trellis? slugbug Australia 5 14-03-2006 12:03 AM