Old 02-01-2006, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Default Unwanted catalogues

Why do companies insist on sending catalogues when you order from the
net? I'm perfectly able to browse the companies catalogue on line, and
the extra expense of sending out catalogues must jack up the prices.
Surely an option on ordering to opt in to catalogues should be provided.
--
Please do not reply to this Email address
All Emails are deleted upon receipt.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Broadback contains these words:

Why do companies insist on sending catalogues when you order from the
net? I'm perfectly able to browse the companies catalogue on line, and
the extra expense of sending out catalogues must jack up the prices.
Surely an option on ordering to opt in to catalogues should be provided.

Why does every company I buy from by mail order, add me to their
catalogue mailing list again with every purchase? Sending multiple
copies of expensive colour-printed catalogues to the same name and
address is costing them a fortune, and I'm sorry to say one often
notices over time that the quality of the goods gradually declines
accordingly. Yes, I have contacted them and suggested they cut me down
to one copy per issue. No, it doesn't make any difference. It makes me
particularly cross when the catalogue comes from a charity .

Janet

Never mind mailing list, they put you on a database so you get catalogues
from all and sundry. Some years ago I bought my daughter for Christmas a
watch she fancied which came from somewhere rather more up market than my
usual sources. Next thing I knew, all manner of luxury goods catalogues were
pouring through the letterbox.

Steve

Old 02-01-2006, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
madgardener

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

The message
from Broadback
contains these words: "Why do companies insist
on sending catalogues when you order from the net? I'm perfectly able to
browse the companies catalogue on line, and the extra expense of sending out
catalogues must jack up the prices.

Surely an option on ordering to opt in to catalogues should be provided."

Janet so eloquently respnded~~

Why does every company I buy from by mail order, add me to their catalogue
mailing list again with every purchase? Sending multiple copies of expensive
colour-printed catalogues to the same name and address is costing them a
fortune, and I'm sorry to say one often notices over time that the quality
of the goods gradually declines accordingly. Yes, I have contacted them and
suggested they cut me down to one copy per issue. No, it doesn't make any
difference. It makes me particularly cross when the catalogue comes from a
charity .

Janet

not only does the companies that I've bought from in the past do exactly the
same thing to me, the few nurseries that have really outstanding stock has
decided to ONLY have an online catalog. I asked the question of some people
actually don't HAVE computers and can't order online. I'd love to have just
the current copy of their plants.

The ones I enjoy despite buying from them, I send the company $5 for the new
year's catalog. I do this with Forest Farms, and Heronswood, which is an
awesome read and enjoyment and well worth paying them $5 for their yearly
catalog, as their selections are outstanding and one day I will cease buying
smaller, cheaper perennials and shrubs and trees and get something
unusual that no one else has! g (well SOMEONE has them, of course, I'm
being silly, now. g) But I wish when I call the companies to tell them
to take me OFF their list, I wouldn't still get the catalogs that come
automatically to Marilyn P. Catron or CURRENT RESIDENT. So even if I might
have moved (geeze how long do you think it would take me to dig up
everything that I possibly COULD dig up, Janet, and take with me from Fairy
Holler?? eg) they're showing me they want to get the next person who lives
here and gets mail, their business. Sigh..............which reminds me, I
need to call a few of these companies today while I have the hours left, and
have them
remove me from their list.

The charities that persist and send me stuff in the hopes that I will just
"send a mere $5 to the multible amputee Vietnam Vet, or Gulf War
Vet.....whatever, it's kinda nice cards, address lables that aren't my style
(I have rather neat address lables and getting mail from me is a visual
experience...you should send me yer snail mail address Janet, and I'll send
you a "Madgardener" card.........gbseg). I send the money to the company
that I hope distributes the donations to actual veterans, and put a note in
HUGE LETTERS so as to draw attention, and tell them to NOT SEND ME ANYMORE.

Do they? hell no, so now I just put the money in the return envelope (which
has free postage, by the way, so they get postage for free, which is nice).

I've given up on Wayside Gardens, White Flower Farm (I used to ADORE their
catalogs. And it's nice to see after 80+ years that Wayside Gardens is still
going. I enjoy my Logee's Greenhouse catalog immensely since beginning to
get it, because they've been in business for 116 years!) and a few more.
There are just some companies I am more likely to buy from and the rest are
just shredded compost for the second compost pile. I still didn't get that
paper shredder I asked for Christmas to shred up my catalogs and junk mail
so I can either put it in the compost pile to rot and provide humus for my
woods,or I was just going to spread it in the paths to break down and
provide extra mulch for woods that despite the rains lately, are dry woods.

Park Seed, Burpee, Stokes. I can't vegetable garden like I could before or
until a miracle occurs here in Faerie Holler and I have those trees cleared
to let in light for terrace boxes. Not an impossible feat, but the
underbrush is
such now that a bobcat (bushhog, woods clearer) would be easier.
Hyperactive, Mexican's would be better!! LOL (joking) They are efficient,
get it done quickly and I could afford them at half what a nursery or
landscaping company would charge and I feed them as well as pay them. Last
crew of people of Mexican decent were the guys the roofers hired for clean
up.

Can you imagine? Being roofers and so snobbish that they could get
cheaper clean up crews than do it themselves. I kinda saw the reasoning, as
they were then able to go on to the next job, but I ignored my initial
feelings and made bean and cheese burrito's while they were out there
getting every little roofing nail and being careful of my gardens that were
directly under the eaves of the new roof. they got every little piece of
old roofing without me asking. All I asked them was to just be careful of
the perennials, and pointed a few out. Told them I'd be bringing them lunch,
and had iced tea and cold, fresh well water for anyone, as well as the
bathroom was open to them.

Three men cleaned the whole area around this house in about five hours.
Every little bit of it. I bet in a week with their real machete's,( I can't
find real machete's here) since they tell me they aren't allergic to
poison ivy or poison oak, my woods would be cleaned up and the natural paths
revealed and all I would have to worry about was which trees to chop
down.....you'd be surprised at how much 8/9th of an acre has on it in five
story Jack pines (pole pines), tulip poplar trees, two and three story cedar
trees and saplings, probably 15 young hollies and all those tens of pin oaks
and saplings.

Sorry about the tangient thread there........ it's a gray day and felt like
garden chatter. I still agree with your observations with the catalogs.
I'm still
getting them. Pretty as they are, and how the pictures lift my spirits, I
still get ruffled when I get another one that I won't even crack open, I'll
toss.

Hope you are warm and happy this second day of a new year. Lets see what
this one holds for us.......updates on gardening stuff next. I dashed down
the driveway with the dogs in tow, felt so good on the fake spring day, that
after pulling the steep dead end road, I was inspired enough to grab the
limb loppers and whack at three tenacious privet bushes that were cutting
valuable western sunlight from my shrubbery on the opposite side of the
chain link fence. Then I got further inspired and started ripping and
tossing vinca that I happened to spot greenery. That proved my undoing. My
hands are so weak and tired now, I can barely write! Later, then?

madgardener up on the chilly, damp ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking
English Mountain which has clouds hugging the sides of the mountain, in
Eastern Tennessee growing zone 7 (which are temperatures as low as -18o C -
to -12oC for those who want to find similarity in what I grow over here).
I'll leave out the Sunset zone's as they really don't need application.
gbseg)

Old 02-01-2006, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

shazzbat wrote:

Never mind mailing list, they put you on a database so you get catalogues
from all and sundry. Some years ago I bought my daughter for Christmas a
watch she fancied which came from somewhere rather more up market than my
usual sources. Next thing I knew, all manner of luxury goods catalogues were
pouring through the letterbox.

We are under a mountain of catalogues here too. A few years ago I was
particularly busy and thought I'd do shopping by catalogues over
Christmas. I mainly used the usual kids stuff like Hawkins Bazar,
Henleys etc. Now we're plagued by them. I have a recycle facility
through which I can get rid of them, that is after removing the plastic
wrappers, but sometimes I'm so tempted to keep them and send them back
the lot. Even the local museum is sending us stuff to buy from their
shop which is a 10 minutes bus ride! They're all at it, from the
Belgium choccies factories to the white linen company, the Stuff you
don't need but Want ... as if (

Old 02-01-2006, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

[...]

Return then marked 'not known at this address, return to sender', they
might, just, get the message!

Alan

Janet

Old 03-01-2006, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Broadback" wrote in message
Why do companies insist on sending catalogues when you order from the net?
I'm perfectly able to browse the companies catalogue on line, and the
extra expense of sending out catalogues must jack up the prices. Surely an
option on ordering to opt in to catalogues should be provided.
--
Please do not reply to this Email address
All Emails are deleted upon receipt.

I feel that I am the odd one out because although my whole life and
financial affairs are online I still like to get hard copy catalogues.
It's totally acceptable to sit on the bog with a magazine but not a laptop.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

[...]

I do want to do business with them, and get a discount for being a
regular customer. (I live on an island, and when I go on monster
shopping trips to the mainland I just don't have enough arms ). I LIKE
getting a catalogue from the companies I buy from; but I just don't want
to get another copy the same catalogues every week :-(

Janet

Ok. The usual reason for getting multiple mailings is that they have you
recorded under slightly different addresses or names.
Barracluff, Barrouglo,Barou, Barrowcloth --aran, Aeron ,Aran etc etc
You can spend hours looking at seemingly identical addresses and after
several hours you spot the difference. Unfortunately there are no prizes.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message , shazzbat
writes

[...]

Take more care to make sure you tick/untick the relevant 'do you want
this companies/other companies to sell you crap' boxes
--
Chris French

Old 03-01-2006, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message , Rupert
writes

Ok. The usual reason for getting multiple mailings is that they have you
recorded under slightly different addresses or names.

Maybe, but some are just useless - Screwfix always seem to do this.

--
Chris French

Old 04-01-2006, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
newsb

In article , chris French
writes

Take more care to make sure you tick/untick the relevant 'do you want
this companies/other companies to sell you crap' boxes

The "marketing" people in general are not keen that "customers" should
have to opt-in to receive their junk. I'm sure it is complete
coincidence that a number of companies have started being a bit devious
in the way that they offer this choice.

Quite often I've noticed that there will be more than one tick box - eg,
"do you want to receive junk from us" and "do you want to receive junk
from others that we sell your details to". I've seen them worded such
that you have to tick one box to avoid junk and not tick the other to
avoid it. eg - "do you want to receive junk from us" and "do you not
want to receive junk from others".

They are banking on the fact that many won't actually read the words but
will assume that they need to tick both or untick both boxes.

--
regards andyw