Old 20-01-2006, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bigsteve

Default What constitutes a autumn / winter Herbaceous border ???

Any recommendations
Old 20-01-2006, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k.

bigsteve wrote:
Any recommendations

Winter hebaceous border is really a contradiction in terms:

Definition: herbaceous plant
Plant with very little or no wood, dying back at the end of every summer.
The herbaceous perennials survive winters as underground storage organs such
as bulbs and tubers.

I suppose thinkg like Euphorbia could be grouped to give an evergreen effect
but "herbaceous border" - nah!

pk

Old 21-01-2006, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
floralD

Maybe you are thinking of having more colour or evergreen plants in
your garden for winter. I noticed that our garden these days is quite
lush in the winter. There is a huge thornless bi-colour holly, a big
leathery leaved ivy, conifers large and small, camelia, spotted laurel,
choisya, phormium etc and many bulbs starting to come through.

Old 23-01-2006, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , p.k.
writes
bigsteve wrote:
Any recommendations

Winter hebaceous border is really a contradiction in terms:

In warmer parts of the world there are plants which die back in the
drought of the summer, and grow and flower during the wetter autumn and
winter seasons.

Finding plants that behave like that in the British climate is
difficult.

There's the winter-flowering strains of pansies - perhaps also
polyanthus. There's a few bulbous plants - such as species of Colchicum,
Crocus and Galanthus. There's Eranthis. There's Iris inguicularis and
Iris lazica. There's hellebores. If you stretch the boundaries there's
Nerine bowdenii and some species of cyclamen at one end, and Bellis
perennnis and assorted early spring bulbs at the other.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 23-01-2006, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:
| In message , p.k.
| writes
|
| Winter hebaceous border is really a contradiction in terms:
|
| In warmer parts of the world there are plants which die back in the
| drought of the summer, and grow and flower during the wetter autumn and
| winter seasons.
|
| Finding plants that behave like that in the British climate is
| difficult.
|
| There's the winter-flowering strains of pansies - perhaps also
| polyanthus. There's a few bulbous plants - such as species of Colchicum,
| Crocus and Galanthus. There's Eranthis. There's Iris inguicularis and
| Iris lazica. There's hellebores. If you stretch the boundaries there's
| Nerine bowdenii and some species of cyclamen at one end, and Bellis
| perennnis and assorted early spring bulbs at the other.

In many years, quite a lot of plants do that in Cambridge, including
a lot that you might think don't - such as even many weeds. On a
sandy soil, in Cambridge, the summer is often hot enough and dry
enough to cause that. In a wet year, they carry on through the
summer.

The only plant that RELIABLY dies back in summer and grows in
autumn in my garden is Cyclamen coum.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 26-01-2006, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:
| In message , p.k.
| writes
|
| Winter hebaceous border is really a contradiction in terms:
|
| In warmer parts of the world there are plants which die back in the
| drought of the summer, and grow and flower during the wetter autumn and
| winter seasons.
|
| Finding plants that behave like that in the British climate is
| difficult.
|
| There's the winter-flowering strains of pansies - perhaps also
| polyanthus. There's a few bulbous plants - such as species of Colchicum,
| Crocus and Galanthus. There's Eranthis. There's Iris inguicularis and
| Iris lazica. There's hellebores. If you stretch the boundaries there's
| Nerine bowdenii and some species of cyclamen at one end, and Bellis
| perennnis and assorted early spring bulbs at the other.

In many years, quite a lot of plants do that in Cambridge, including
a lot that you might think don't - such as even many weeds. On a
sandy soil, in Cambridge, the summer is often hot enough and dry
enough to cause that. In a wet year, they carry on through the
summer.

The only plant that RELIABLY dies back in summer and grows in
autumn in my garden is Cyclamen coum.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

One that slipped my memory was Eranthis (Winter Aconite).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley