Old 25-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Registered User

Question winter jasmine

I have been given a winter Jasmine in a pot...I want to put it in the garden..How can I get more blooms on it?..(I had one before with more greenery than blooms)
Old 25-01-2006, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default winter jasmine

In article ,
solaara wrote:

I have been given a winter Jasmine in a pot...I want to put it in the
garden..How can I get more blooms on it?..(I had one before with more
greenery than blooms)

Pray. Move south or west.

Winter jasmine (J. nudiflorum) is pretty hardy, but its flowers are
very prone to frost damage. Here in Cambridge, it grows well outside,
but I get a decent number of flowers only one year in three. However,
I di get a good crop of buds most years.

My guess is that it will set buds better when in the garden, but you
may not see huge numbers of flowers. Remember that it flowers on
the long shoots off old wood better than it does on ones from its
base, so cutting it back hard reduces flowering.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Registered User

Cool

I live in Kent.......solaara
Old 26-01-2006, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
solaara writes:

| I have been given a winter Jasmine in a pot...I want to put it in the
| garden..How can I get more blooms on it?..(I had one before with more
| greenery than blooms)
|
| Pray. Move south or west.
|
| I live in Kent.......solaara

Unless you live in a frost trap, winter jasmine should flower with
you in most years. I can't tell you whether it thrives on heavy
soils, but you may not have one.

My guess is that the reluctance to flower is due to being in a
pot. Incidentally, it self-layers with abandon, so you don't have
to choose between having it in a pot and in the garden, and you
can try it in various places.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-01-2006, 01:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Garden Oasis

Winter Jasmine or Jasminum nudiflorum originates from China so is used
to cold weather. It can grow to 10ft so should be planted against a
wall or fence and given support. You can grow this variety in any
position, even on a cold, sunless north wall. The flowers appear from
November to April mainly on the previous years stems but the flowers
are susceptible to cold winds so a sheltered position could help you.
When pruning, cut back the flowering stems to within 2 or 3 inches of
the base and completely remove old or weak stems.

Hope this helps!

Garden Oasis
www.gardenoasis.co.uk

Old 28-01-2006, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Garden Oasis" wrote in message
ups.com...
Winter Jasmine or Jasminum nudiflorum originates from China so is used
to cold weather. It can grow to 10ft so should be planted against a
wall or fence and given support. snip

and the rest there is one in this village covering the west elevation of a
house, its at least 20' (waste of a good wall IMO)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 28-01-2006, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Charlie Pridham" contains these words:

"Garden Oasis" wrote in message
ups.com...
Winter Jasmine or Jasminum nudiflorum originates from China so is used
to cold weather. It can grow to 10ft so should be planted against a
wall or fence and given support. snip

and the rest there is one in this village covering the west elevation of a
house, its at least 20' (waste of a good wall IMO)

I had to cut mine down to the ground and keep them trimmed to a foot or
so as they were keeping the brickwork damp, and as there's no cavity in
this old flint, brick and clay-lump cottage, that's bad news.

I'm growing vines along the wall instead, (South-facing, red brick on a
flint base) but they'll be on stretched cables, not held to the
brickwork.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 28-01-2006, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kay

Garden Oasis writes
When pruning, cut back the flowering stems to within 2 or 3 inches of
the base

What? All 20,000 of them?
--
Kay