Old 06-05-2009, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Winter Jasmine in shade?

I would like to plant a Winter Jasmine against an east facing fence
which is in the shade of my house for all but the first few hours of
daylight every morning. Is it likely to be happy, or must I put it
somewhere else?

If it won't tolerate this position, is there anything else that would
give me some winter colour there? I am on the east coast of Scotland.

TIA

Steve
Old 06-05-2009, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Steve writes
I would like to plant a Winter Jasmine against an east facing fence
which is in the shade of my house for all but the first few hours of
daylight every morning. Is it likely to be happy, or must I put it
somewhere else?

It should be happy in shade. Mine is growing up the north wall of the
house (ie in the shade all day every day of the year) and flowers all
through the winter, this year from late October with the last one or two
flowers still on it now.

--
Kay
Old 06-05-2009, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
"If toddlers can be taught to wait their turn and to say "please" and "thank
you," certainly can we reintroduce these phrases back into the adult
"K" wrote in message
news
Steve writes
I would like to plant a Winter Jasmine against an east facing fence which
is in the shade of my house for all but the first few hours of daylight
every morning. Is it likely to be happy, or must I put it somewhere else?

It should be happy in shade. Mine is growing up the north wall of the
house (ie in the shade all day every day of the year) and flowers all
through the winter, this year from late October with the last one or two
flowers still on it now.

Have to endorse that sentiment. we have just transferred one from a west
facing wall to the north facing wall of the house alongside one which is
doing very nicely thank you

Mike

Old 06-05-2009, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 06/05/09 14:51, Steve wrote:
I would like to plant a Winter Jasmine against an east facing fence
which is in the shade of my house for all but the first few hours of
daylight every morning. Is it likely to be happy, or must I put it
somewhere else?

If it won't tolerate this position, is there anything else that would
give me some winter colour there? I am on the east coast of Scotland.

TIA

Steve

My winter jasmine is on the north facing wall of my house (SE England).
It's been there now for over 10 years and is thriving despite lack of
sun and poor dry clay-chalk soil. It gets well pruned each Spring and
never gets fed, but puts on loads of new growth over the Summer and
gives masses of welcome colour during the Winter months.

Ed

Old 06-05-2009, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"If toddlers can be taught to wait their turn and to say "please" and

"thank
you," certainly can we reintroduce these phrases back into the adult
vernacular?" Sree Pillai 2006
"K" wrote in message
news
Steve writes
I would like to plant a Winter Jasmine against an east facing fence

which
is in the shade of my house for all but the first few hours of daylight
every morning. Is it likely to be happy, or must I put it somewhere

else?

It should be happy in shade. Mine is growing up the north wall of the
house (ie in the shade all day every day of the year) and flowers all
through the winter, this year from late October with the last one or

two
flowers still on it now.

Have to endorse that sentiment. we have just transferred one from a west
facing wall to the north facing wall of the house alongside one which is
doing very nicely thank you

Mike

Goodness, this is embarassing - almost as much as pointing out to a lady
that her skirts are caught up in her knickers.

Did you know that your sig is appearing at the /top/ of your replies? I
believe there is an option in Outlook Express to correct this.

Hope you don't mind me pointing this out.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Have to endorse that sentiment. we have just transferred one from a west
facing wall to the north facing wall of the house alongside one which is
doing very nicely thank you

Mike

Goodness, this is embarassing - almost as much as pointing out to a lady
that her skirts are caught up in her knickers.

Did you know that your sig is appearing at the /top/ of your replies? I
believe there is an option in Outlook Express to correct this.

Hope you don't mind me pointing this out.

I don't mind you pointing it out at all and you did it in a very nice way,
thank you. I am afraid that it is something to do with Outlook Express and
not being a computer wizz kidd I don't know what to do about it, except cut
everything to the bone.

(Don't want to 'cut the bone', only just getting over the chest bone and
ribs being cut out for Heart Surgery :-))

Best wishes

Mike

Old 06-05-2009, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
[...]

Ah, probably explains your rather intemperate posts earlier. To
understand is to forgive.

As for the sig problem - the following is based on Windows Mail - but it
should also work for OE.
What you need to do is to go to Tools | Options | Advanced
Tick the box for
'Insert signature at bottom of a reply"

And you may also want to consider ticking the
"Compose reply at the bottom of the original message"
as that will position your cursor in the 'proper' place for a reply -
but as that will aslo affect your ordinary mail replies, you may prefer
to do it manually for usenet posts

Hope this helps.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ah, probably explains your rather intemperate posts earlier. To understand
is to forgive.

As for the sig problem - the following is based on Windows Mail - but it
should also work for OE.
What you need to do is to go to Tools | Options | Advanced
Tick the box for
'Insert signature at bottom of a reply"

And you may also want to consider ticking the
"Compose reply at the bottom of the original message"
as that will position your cursor in the 'proper' place for a reply - but
as that will aslo affect your ordinary mail replies, you may prefer to do
it manually for usenet posts

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot but regret I do not have the'Advanced' after the 'Options' tag
pressed :-((

Tried in other places but not sure I have the confidence to 'experiment'

Best wishes

Mike

Old 06-05-2009, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 6, 2:51*pm, Steve wrote:
I would like to plant a Winter Jasmine against an east facing fence
which is in the shade of my house for all but the first few hours of
daylight every morning. Is it likely to be happy, or must I put it
somewhere else?

If it won't tolerate this position, is there anything else that would
give me some winter colour there? *I am on the east coast of Scotland.

TIA

Steve

East facing will be fine, I had one in Norwich, east facing, it was
wonderful. I miss some of my plants from there but the climate where
I live now is a different matter altogether, it's a bit hit and miss.

Judith
Old 07-05-2009, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks to everybody. Not only were the answers quick, they also said
what I wanted to hear.

Steve

transplanted winter flowering jasmine. Sheila United Kingdom 3 09-06-2008 11:33 PM
Winter Jasmine Phisherman[_1_] Gardening 5 16-12-2007 09:03 PM
winter jasmine solaara United Kingdom 8 28-01-2006 07:26 PM
Winter Jasmine Jo United Kingdom 1 20-01-2005 01:26 PM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 06:32 AM