Old 15-12-2007, 11:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Winter Jasmine

The deer have cut off my baby winter jasmine. They didn't eat it,
just bit off the budded stems and dropped them to the ground. And
this was going to be the first winter bloom. Deer don't like winter
jasmine, but they are always sampling. If I don't put ugly chicken
wire around a plant, it is destroyed by the deer. Let the
deer-hunting season continue!

Old 16-12-2007, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Phisherman" wrote in message
The deer have cut off my baby winter jasmine. They didn't eat it,
just bit off the budded stems and dropped them to the ground. And
this was going to be the first winter bloom. Deer don't like winter
jasmine, but they are always sampling. If I don't put ugly chicken
wire around a plant, it is destroyed by the deer. Let the
deer-hunting season continue!

They do the same here. I've got a bow hunter friend who I *believe* is just
crazy enough to sell his services as a hit man. I haven't quite convinced
him yet. His proficiency with the weapon is pretty spooky, but he's adverse
to breaking the law involving night hunting.

Old 16-12-2007, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
The deer have cut off my baby winter jasmine. They didn't
eat it, just bit off the budded stems and dropped them to
the ground. And this was going to be the first winter
bloom. Deer don't like winter jasmine, but they are
always sampling. If I don't put ugly chicken wire around
a plant, it is destroyed by the deer. Let the
deer-hunting season continue!

They do the same here. I've got a bow hunter friend who I
*believe* is just crazy enough to sell his services as a
hit man. I haven't quite convinced him yet. His proficiency
with the weapon is pretty spooky, but he's adverse to
breaking the law involving night hunting.

you're too suburban to use the laws allowing hunting on your
own land without a license, aren't you? in your area wouldn't
fencing help with both the deer & the dog 'issue'? 3-4 foot
fence in front to anchor a border & a 6-8' one in back maybe?
lee
Old 16-12-2007, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

[...]

My friend's got a license and he'd only do the job when deer season is open.
The remaining problem is night hunting. We'd have to make certain
arrangements with a couple of neighbors so they don't freak when they see
him chasing down the deer, which will usually move at least a little before
dropping dead. A few pounds of venison would probably be persuasive. The
neighbors are just as annoyed as I am.

As far as fences, I'll be doing that for the vegetable garden next year, but
it would look stupid for the ornamental garden beds. And, the deer will jump
anything under 6 feet.

Old 16-12-2007, 09:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

My friend's got a license and he'd only do the job when
deer season is open. The remaining problem is night
hunting. We'd have to make certain arrangements with a
couple of neighbors so they don't freak when they see him
chasing down the deer, which will usually move at least a
little before dropping dead. A few pounds of venison would
probably be persuasive. The neighbors are just as annoyed
as I am.

yeah, i understand you have quite a deer problem there. i
think NY has the same law we do about hunting deer on your own
land without a license, but your friend would need one. since
night hunting tends to be illegal, i can see his reluctance,
but hunting at dusk/dawn shouldn't be a problem (except for
the gunshots at dawn might annoy the neighbors) & that's the
best time to get deer feeding.

As far as fences, I'll be doing that for the vegetable
garden next year, but it would look stupid for the
ornamental garden beds. And, the deer will jump anything
under 6 feet.

well, they'll jump anything less than 8 feet really, unless
you double fence. if you put 2 4' fences 3' apart, deer won't
jump it. they don't even have to be that high. i have a low
rock wall along the woods & a 4' fence 3' in. the deer don't
jump it (but they will jump in by the gate).
lee

Old 16-12-2007, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

[...]

I wish the deer were around on the 4th of July. I don't think anyone would
notice the gunshots amidst all the noise. I've walked to within 10 feet of
the *******s. At that distance, I could hit one with a perfect head shot.

[IMG] code is On

winter jasmine care guide please amme United Kingdom 0 09-03-2012 10:59 AM
Winter Jasmine in shade? Steve[_4_] United Kingdom 9 07-05-2009 09:10 AM
transplanted winter flowering jasmine. Sheila United Kingdom 3 09-06-2008 11:33 PM
winter jasmine solaara United Kingdom 8 28-01-2006 07:26 PM
Winter Jasmine Jo United Kingdom 1 20-01-2005 01:26 PM