Old 31-01-2006, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mel

Default Allotment Choice

Hi all, can you please help with my dilemma?

I have to choose between 2 allotments, both of which are in abandoned
states. One site absolutely full of horsetail, and I mean so chock-a-block
that in some places I can hardly get a fork in for the roots. The other
site is full of couch grass and is very wet (I can hear the soil squelching
when I walk on it).

It's between a rock and a hard place! Do I choose soggy couch grass or a
zillion horsetail?

Thanks.

Old 31-01-2006, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Mel wrote:
Hi all, can you please help with my dilemma?
I have to choose between 2 allotments, both of which are in abandoned
states. One site absolutely full of horsetail, and I mean so chock-a-block
that in some places I can hardly get a fork in for the roots. The other
site is full of couch grass and is very wet (I can hear the soil squelching
when I walk on it).
It's between a rock and a hard place! Do I choose soggy couch grass or a
zillion horsetail?

That's great!!! At long last you've got a plot. I'll go for any, both
sound terrible, like mine, his, hers, theirs was ;o)

Can I try a test whilst I'm here? I hope you don't mind. I understand
better the foreign stuff ...

http://cjoint.com/data/bFo2NCq2OR.htm

Old 31-01-2006, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Mel" contains these words:

Hi all, can you please help with my dilemma?

I have to choose between 2 allotments, both of which are in abandoned
states. One site absolutely full of horsetail, and I mean so chock-a-block
that in some places I can hardly get a fork in for the roots. The other
site is full of couch grass and is very wet (I can hear the soil squelching
when I walk on it).

It's between a rock and a hard place! Do I choose soggy couch grass or a
zillion horsetail?

Hang around at the weekend and try to meet some nearby alotmenters.
Ask them if the swamp is wet all summer.

If it had just been saturated by recent rain, it might be fine in
summer, but even if it isn't you can build raised beds for growing in,
and never have to worry about watering.

The horsetail one will be a long nightmare. I would rather wait for
another vacancy than take a horsetail plot.

Janet
Old 31-01-2006, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mel wrote:
Hi all, can you please help with my dilemma?
I have to choose between 2 allotments, both of which are in abandoned
states. One site absolutely full of horsetail, and I mean so chock-a-block
that in some places I can hardly get a fork in for the roots. The other
site is full of couch grass and is very wet (I can hear the soil squelching
when I walk on it).
It's between a rock and a hard place! Do I choose soggy couch grass or a
zillion horsetail?

That's great!!! At long last you've got a plot. I'll go for any, both
sound terrible, like mine, his, hers, theirs was ;o)

Can I try a test whilst I'm here? I hope you don't mind. I understand
better the foreign stuff ...

http://cjoint.com/data/bFo2NCq2OR.htm

test - not working........
Jenny

Old 31-01-2006, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jimmy

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mel wrote:
Hi all, can you please help with my dilemma?
I have to choose between 2 allotments, both of which are in abandoned
states. One site absolutely full of horsetail, and I mean so

chock-a-block
that in some places I can hardly get a fork in for the roots. The other
site is full of couch grass and is very wet (I can hear the soil

squelching
when I walk on it).
It's between a rock and a hard place! Do I choose soggy couch grass or

zillion horsetail?

That's great!!! At long last you've got a plot. I'll go for any, both
sound terrible, like mine, his, hers, theirs was ;o)

Can I try a test whilst I'm here? I hope you don't mind. I understand
better the foreign stuff ...

http://cjoint.com/data/bFo2NCq2OR.htm

What was the test then? A pdf file of your plants??

Jim

Old 31-01-2006, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mel

"Janet Baraclough" replied

I have to choose between 2 allotments,
Do I choose soggy couch grass or a zillion horsetail?

you can build raised beds for growing in, and never have to worry about

watering.
The horsetail one will be a long nightmare. I would rather wait for
another vacancy than take a horsetail plot.

Thanks for the reply, Janet. I'm swaying towards the couch grass plot
because I know that horsetail is even more of a nightmare! I started
digging out the horsetail last weekend (it's just starting to emerge from
dormancy). In just a 2x1 foot area I had half a bucket full of roots (and
that was the area with fewest horsetails). However, the couch grass is also
totally covering the allotment with not a single inch free of it. Both
plots are crap, actually, and I'm wondering if I should bother at all, but
I've been on the waiting list for many years and it could be many more years
before anything else becomes vacant. Decisions, decisions!

Regards.

Old 31-01-2006, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Jimmy wrote:
What was the test then? A pdf file of your plants??

Yep. As simple as it may seem, to some, I couldn't work out how to make
a url link and show my pdf. Someone mentioned My Place but I like
simple design. I'd like my own site but I'm picky - I'd like something
along the line of this one below ...

http://muriel.bernard.free.fr/dhtml/haiku.html

Old 31-01-2006, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Mel" wrote
Hi all, can you please help with my dilemma?

I have to choose between 2 allotments, both of which are in abandoned
states. One site absolutely full of horsetail, and I mean so
chock-a-block
that in some places I can hardly get a fork in for the roots. The other
site is full of couch grass and is very wet (I can hear the soil
squelching
when I walk on it).

It's between a rock and a hard place! Do I choose soggy couch grass or a
zillion horsetail?

The Horsetail you can't do anything much about, the couch is easily killed
permanently with glyphosate (Roundup) as that's what it's designed for. The
alternative is digging it out every year because you won't get it all. :-(
The soggy soil may be just a winter thing, you will have to ask neighbours,
but the soil is something you can change over time by using compost, muck,
mushroom compost.....etc.
Our last allotment had Horsetail and being someone who doesn't like weeds on
his plot I wouldn't want another with it as it never goes away.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 31-01-2006, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Mel wrote:

(snip)

I'm wondering if I should bother at all, but
I've been on the waiting list for many years and it could be many more years
before anything else becomes vacant. Decisions, decisions!

All the plots are like that! Unless you are very lucky and move onto
one when the last tenants are moving out quickly. It's unlikely that
someone will leave a good plot behind, even if they move far away from
it. If you choose a 3 or 4 or 5 years crop rotation, that's what you
are looking at for your plot to be good, either 3 years, or 4 or 5. So
start slowly, leave half fallow and green manure it. Don't try to do
everything at once. It might look grim now, and you have a lot of work,
but start with a little shed, somewhere to contemplate from, a kettle
and a good seat. Make some drawings of what you'd like to have and it
will all fall into place ... eventually )

Old 31-01-2006, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jimmy

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jimmy wrote:
What was the test then? A pdf file of your plants??

Yep. As simple as it may seem, to some, I couldn't work out how to make
a url link and show my pdf. Someone mentioned My Place but I like
simple design. I'd like my own site but I'm picky - I'd like something
along the line of this one below ...

http://muriel.bernard.free.fr/dhtml/haiku.html

Does your ISP not provide free web space or do you access via work?

That appears to be how the above one mentioned above has been set up by
Muriel.

Jim

Old 31-01-2006, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Jimmy wrote:
Does your ISP not provide free web space or do you access via work?

I've had a thought. I've got gradewell. Perhaps there's some space
there. I'm a bit in a creative mood atm ;o)

That appears to be how the above one mentioned above has been set up by
Muriel.

Do you mean to say she used free web space or did she do a link like I
did with my pdf? Did you like it btw?

Old 31-01-2006, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jimmy

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jimmy wrote:
Does your ISP not provide free web space or do you access via work?

I've had a thought. I've got gradewell. Perhaps there's some space
there. I'm a bit in a creative mood atm ;o)

That appears to be how the above one mentioned above has been set up by
Muriel.

Do you mean to say she used free web space or did she do a link like I
did with my pdf? Did you like it btw?

looks like free space from http://www.free.fr/ but might not be as not
really up to scratch with the languageI am afraid.

Did like though a bit busy and crowded like that, where are the piccies
from?

Old 31-01-2006, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jimmy wrote:
What was the test then? A pdf file of your plants??

Yep. As simple as it may seem, to some, I couldn't work out how to make
a url link and show my pdf. Someone mentioned My Place but I like
simple design. I'd like my own site but I'm picky - I'd like something
along the line of this one below ...

http://muriel.bernard.free.fr/dhtml/haiku.html

http://www.rdpslides.com/psfaq/FAQ00050.htm ??
Jenny

Old 31-01-2006, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Jimmy wrote:
looks like free space from http://www.free.fr/ but might not be as not
really up to scratch with the languageI am afraid.

I'll have a look on this site and on gradewell. Perhaps there's even a
way to teach me how to make a nice page.

Did like though a bit busy and crowded like that, where are the piccies
from?

When I said 'did you like it' I meant Muriel's poem and images that you
swip with your cursor. But now I realise that it looks like I meant if
you liked the pdf ... The pics are from my garden last year. I've got
tons of photographs this is why I'd like to set up a site and would
like to put my lotty on it too. I feel I've never have enough time ...
tho (

Old 31-01-2006, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Mel" contains these words:
However, the couch grass is also
totally covering the allotment with not a single inch free of it. Both
plots are crap, actually, and I'm wondering if I should bother at all, but
I've been on the waiting list for many years and it could be many more years
before anything else becomes vacant. Decisions, decisions!

You can get rid of couch grass by excluding all light (cardboard
catrons, old wool carpet, old tarpaulins) until it dies.

Janet