Old 31-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Lawn Joy

Hello all,
My Name is Keith, I am from Motherwell just 15 mins from Glasgow and I am a newbie to gardening (and this site) as I have just purchased my own house/garden. I have many questions which i could do with some help on but will start with my lawn 'problem'. Please see picture attached, what is this wee weed and how do I get rid of it as it is taking over a small part of my lawn and not allowing grass to grow.
Attached Thumbnails
Lawn Joy-grass-weed.jpg
Old 31-01-2006, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Lawn Joy

weedkiller wrote:
[...]
with some help on but will start with my lawn 'problem'. Please see
picture attached, what is this wee weed and how do I get rid of it as
it is taking over a small part of my lawn and not allowing grass to
grow.

[...]

Gosh! I can't tell from the photo, but it looks rather like good old
daisies: for me, no lawn is any good if it doesn't have a lot of them.
If it does need killing off, the local DIY shed will have weed-and-feed
stuff: the instructions on the packet should tell you not to do it for a
few weeks yet.

Welcome to the wonderful world of gardening, Keith. I hope it'll turn
into a bit of a hobby, not just another responsibility. We love
questions here. You can get to us direct by finding Google Groups, then
searching for uk.rec.gardening. Or you may have access to a "Usenet
newsreader" -- we can advise on that, too.

--
Mike.

Old 01-02-2006, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Could be daisies, but also could be plantain, leaves for plantain are
very coarse and string if you pull them away.

Selective weedkiller would help. if you don't want to use a weed killer
then you will have to dig each plant up. but remember the old lonnie
donnegan song, which siad,'he had such a job to pull them up that he
called them daisy roots'. Daisy roots are tough and long, but I always
foung it therapeutic pulling weeds out of the lawn.

Mike (now gardening in Spain without a lawn)

Old 01-02-2006, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

People living permanent on the urbanisation is not the normal state,
there are only about 10% of the houses used permanently, others are
holiday homes and/or rented out: four near me ahve not had anyone in
since we came in October and it is easy to tell the permanent homes as
they are the ones with window boxes and lots of plants. Weather is
superb today and I've planted my grape vine, and also brought the pots
of fresias out of the greenhouse. Ipomea soon to be planted out to
train up the house side. Air con fittted yesterday, and it will drain
to water my grapevine.

Mike