Old 31-01-2006, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Default Centre piece suggestion please

Any ideas as to what to place in the middle of a 12 foot diameter round
bed. It needs to be rabbit resistant, I would like a bit of a wow
factor and interest all year round. The bed is in full sun.
Old 31-01-2006, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Broadback wrote:
Any ideas as to what to place in the middle of a 12 foot diameter
round bed. It needs to be rabbit resistant, I would like a bit of a
wow factor and interest all year round. The bed is in full sun.

We have a Yucca, which looks like a palm tree...it started off as a 'spiky
thing' and now it's six feet tall with a six inch trunk! - when it flowers
in summer, the flower spikes are a further 4 feet tall, I've taken dozens of
side shoots from it and potted them up and they have all grown, some even
grown where they were thrown onto a heap, they're as tough as old boots.
The flowers never get polinated though and so never seed, apparently it
takes a certain type of moth which doesn't live over here.

I'l see if I can dig out some snaps...

Old 31-01-2006, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

We used a bird bath for a center piece. We get hours of enjoyment watching
them come and go.

Dwayne

Old 31-01-2006, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Broadback contains these words:

Any ideas as to what to place in the middle of a 12 foot diameter round
bed. It needs to be rabbit resistant, I would like a bit of a wow
factor and interest all year round. The bed is in full sun.

I'd go for Monty Don. YMMV.

Janet
Old 31-01-2006, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Broadback contains these words:

Any ideas as to what to place in the middle of a 12 foot diameter round
bed. It needs to be rabbit resistant, I would like a bit of a wow
factor and interest all year round. The bed is in full sun.

A good cat - they like full sun. If you get a white one. you can dye it
any colour you like.

HTH

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 31-01-2006, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman

How about a red leaved phormiumI bought one in a 5 inch pot just a few short
years ago, it is spreading over 6 feet wide and about 6 to 7 foot tall,
really majestic and eye catching, but sadly no flowers.
regards
Cineman

Old 31-01-2006, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Dwayne" contains these words:

We used a bird bath for a center piece. We get hours of enjoyment watching
them come and go.

Sundial?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 31-01-2006, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

cineman wrote:
How about a red leaved phormiumI bought one in a 5 inch pot just a few short
years ago, it is spreading over 6 feet wide and about 6 to 7 foot tall,
really majestic and eye catching, but sadly no flowers.

If I had that space I'd put a gorgeous canna in it, the deep red ones
or a palm, butia something.

Old 31-01-2006, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Craddock

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from Broadback contains these words:

Any ideas as to what to place in the middle of a 12 foot diameter
round
bed. It needs to be rabbit resistant, I would like a bit of a wow
factor and interest all year round. The bed is in full sun.

A good cat - they like full sun. If you get a white one. you can dye
it
any colour you like.

If you have a rabbit problem, a really mean *bad* cat might be more
useful.
There's a similar bed to yours in the village near us. They have
something I've not seen before - a fairly compact form of Magnolia
soulangeana with large Agapanthus close planted all round it, a fairly
unlikely combination but it looks quite good.

--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

Old 31-01-2006, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kay

Rusty Hinge 2 writes
The message
from Broadback contains these words:

Any ideas as to what to place in the middle of a 12 foot diameter round
bed. It needs to be rabbit resistant, I would like a bit of a wow
factor and interest all year round. The bed is in full sun.

A good cat - they like full sun. If you get a white one. you can dye it
any colour you like.

It needs to be rabbit-resistant. I've never met a cat who can resist
rabbits.
--
Kay

Old 31-01-2006, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Broadback
writes
Any ideas as to what to place in the middle of a 12 foot diameter round
bed. It needs to be rabbit resistant, I would like a bit of a wow
factor and interest all year round. The bed is in full sun.

I don't know about the rabbit resistance, but you could consider a
coppiced Paulownia. Of course that doesn't give you any winter interest.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 31-01-2006, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Broadback
writes
Any ideas as to what to place in the middle of a 12 foot diameter
round bed. It needs to be rabbit resistant, I would like a bit of a
wow factor and interest all year round. The bed is in full sun.

I don't know about the rabbit resistance, but you could consider a
coppiced Paulownia. Of course that doesn't give you any winter
interest.

An arbutus, perhaps? A very interesting tree which can get more
"architectural" with age, and not many of the neighbours will have one!
Reading University had a nice one, sheltered, IIRC, only slightly from
the north.

--
Mike.

Old 31-01-2006, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David

"Broadback" wrote in message
Any ideas as to what to place in the middle of a 12 foot diameter round
bed. It needs to be rabbit resistant, I would like a bit of a wow
factor and interest all year round. The bed is in full sun.

I've used a cordyline australis and am extremely pleased with the result. I
was a bit concerned about whether it would survive the winters but it is in
it's 4th year now and is flourishing,

regards,

David