Old 08-02-2006, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default A hint of spring?

This afternoon I watched two male blackbirds dancing back and forth along
the ridge of one of the greenhouses. One would stand its ground for x
seconds as the other hopped towards it in a threatening fashion, then it
would fly off, only to return almost immediately to go through the whole
process again. Clearly, they were threatening each other in a "get off my
patch" sort of fashion. At times, in spring, they drive us and themselves,
half mad, bashing away at a pane of glass that divides them when one is in
one green house and the other is next door. They can see each other but
can't figure out that they can neither get at each other or be a danger to
each other.
The rooks are flapping laboriously up and down to the wood at the top of the
field behind us, though they're not bringing back sticks yet, so I think
they're just doing a recce. But they're starting to make a lot of noise in
and around their rookery and seem to be getting into their nest-making
quarrelsome mode.
Today was a 'softer' day, with a little rain and some sun and that, combined
with the blackbirds' muscle flexing and the sudden shooting up of snowdrops,
leads me to hope that spring really is thinking about getting here!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-02-2006, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

(snip)
Today was a 'softer' day, with a little rain and some sun and that, combined
with the blackbirds' muscle flexing and the sudden shooting up of snowdrops,
leads me to hope that spring really is thinking about getting here!

Next door has the first daffodils in flower ( a very small yellow
one, smaller than February Gold but larger than nminimus).

Blue sky and sun again, and a (different) dusting of snow on the nountains.

Janet
Old 09-02-2006, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ann Heanes

.....and a coot on the lake is building up her 'last year' nest above the
water line so she is thinking about spring.
Grannie Annie
id...

Old 09-02-2006, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Dave the exTrailer wrote:
And that catches people out so many time.
You have a day of sunshine and then in late feb or march, 6 inches of
snow falls.
'Ne'er cast a clout' etc etc etc

Ho Gawd yes. Found we've got 3 digitalis, one seeded itself
precariously on the edge of a pot with some mint. Silly thing. All the
alliums are pocking their heads and I wondered around whispering to
them 'not yet, sleep a little longer...'. This morning was the coldest
we've felt, ice everywhere and our face felt burnt by the Siberian wind
- deep blue skies since yesterday afternoon, last night was heavy with
stars and today the Rochdale hills just look glorious from where I'm
sitting.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Today was a 'softer' day, with a little rain and some sun and that, combined
with the blackbirds' muscle flexing and the sudden shooting up of snowdrops,
leads me to hope that spring really is thinking about getting here!

Winter aconites out here, but no snowdrops. They're late.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 09-02-2006, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave the exTrailer

On 9 Feb 2006 02:51:26 -0800, "La Puce" wrote:

Dave the exTrailer wrote:
And that catches people out so many time.
You have a day of sunshine and then in late feb or march, 6 inches of
snow falls.
'Ne'er cast a clout' etc etc etc

Ho Gawd yes. Found we've got 3 digitalis, one seeded itself
precariously on the edge of a pot with some mint. Silly thing. All the
alliums are pocking their heads and I wondered around whispering to
them 'not yet, sleep a little longer...'. This morning was the coldest
we've felt, ice everywhere and our face felt burnt by the Siberian wind
- deep blue skies since yesterday afternoon, last night was heavy with
stars and today the Rochdale hills just look glorious from where I'm
sitting.

Ahh a great imagination eh. Rochdale hills looking glorious?

Then again compared to the town hall they must be glorious

Old 09-02-2006, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Dave the exTrailer wrote:
Ahh a great imagination eh. Rochdale hills looking glorious?

Ho yes! Glistening almost - from light to dark greens, light to dark
browns, once the snow's on it, it's magic! In October they were from
light to dark pink, yellow and orange. I can't wait Saturday - if the
weather is like today, sod the garden et all, I'm off there - the air
of heaven is that which blows between my horse's ears, me dear )

Old 09-02-2006, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave the exTrailer

On 9 Feb 2006 07:19:09 -0800, "La Puce" wrote:

Dave the exTrailer wrote:
Ahh a great imagination eh. Rochdale hills looking glorious?

Ho yes! Glistening almost - from light to dark greens, light to dark
browns, once the snow's on it, it's magic! In October they were from
light to dark pink, yellow and orange. I can't wait Saturday - if the
weather is like today, sod the garden et all, I'm off there - the air
of heaven is that which blows between my horse's ears, me dear )

Does the sun ever shine that far North )

Old 09-02-2006, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Craddock

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...

Yes, our snowdrops have been very late this year, even allowing for
the fact
that lots of different varieties mean a staggered start anyway.
Even the
ones for sale in pots came to a grinding halt but have now put on a
bit of a
spurt. But in the last few days the ones in the garden have started
to pop
up madly all over the place.

Ours are very late but looking exceptional quality and quantity -
slugs often damage them very severely here.
We've had a Robin working with us on the new deep beds today, the
quantity of worms he's put away in unbelievable - he'll have
indigestion tonight and I wouldn't want to be under where he roosts
;~}
--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Rod Craddock" wrote in message
"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Here also the best snowdrops I have ever seen, some small compensation for
the coldest winter we can recall in long time. (no daffs yet!)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 10-02-2006, 02:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 23:37:50 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

This afternoon I watched two male blackbirds dancing back and forth along
the ridge of one of the greenhouses.

I saw one flying backwards at about 40mph in a blizzard earlier today.

Probably a backbird, then.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 10-02-2006, 02:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Dave the exTrailer contains these words:

Ahh a great imagination eh. Rochdale hills looking glorious?

Probably Cyril Smith...

Then again compared to the town hall they must be glorious

Hmmmm.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 13-02-2006, 06:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
madgardener

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
This afternoon I watched two male blackbirds dancing back and forth
GREAT INCREDIBLE words snipped

Today was a 'softer' day, with a little rain and some sun and that, combined
with the blackbirds' muscle flexing and the sudden shooting up of
snowdrops,
leads me to hope that spring really is thinking about getting here!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
)

now THAT was a great piece! I could see everything you were speaking about,
Sacha! Thanks!!!
maddie