Old 10-02-2006, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
htmark98

Default When to cut the grass?

I put down new turf in October and havent cut it since, now it's quite
long a good 6/7". Can i cut this now? or should i leave it a little
longer?

Old 10-02-2006, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

htmark98 wrote:
I put down new turf in October and havent cut it since, now it's quite
long a good 6/7". Can i cut this now?

You'd better, or it will be completely ruined, and you'll have to
do it all over again!
Old 10-02-2006, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
htmark98

Ok thanks, was only asking as the guy down the road (retired gardener)
told me not to untill March the earliest.

Old 10-02-2006, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Road_HogŪ

"htmark98" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok thanks, was only asking as the guy down the road (retired gardener)
told me not to untill March the earliest.

Well, he used to be right, but the seasons have changed now.

You can cut the grass, but leave a decent amount of growth, 2+ inches. If
you cut it too short at this time of year it will be a bit of a shock to it.
It is never good to cut grass from very long to very short, it should always
be topped.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
htmark98

Thanks. Will be giving it a nice trim tomorrow.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
A New Day

"htmark98" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks. Will be giving it a nice trim tomorrow.

better check through it for any lost species.....

Old 12-02-2006, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
htmark98

Ok gave it a cut yesterday took ages, got a push mower for xmas. Looks
a look better now and not holding it so much water now.

Old 12-02-2006, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan

In message . com,
htmark98 wrote
Ok gave it a cut yesterday took ages, got a push mower for xmas. Looks
a look better now and not holding it so much water now.

The best investment I made for the garden was a petrol driven mower.
Even my Ģ100 model cuts longish wet grass with ease.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 12-02-2006, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Road_HogŪ

"Alan" wrote in message
In message . com,
htmark98 wrote
Ok gave it a cut yesterday took ages, got a push mower for xmas. Looks
a look better now and not holding it so much water now.

The best investment I made for the garden was a petrol driven mower. Even
my Ģ100 model cuts longish wet grass with ease.

Yep, with the price of petrol mowers these days, you'd have to be mad not to
use one on anything bigger than a postage stamp.

Old 13-02-2006, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Road_HogŪ wrote:

Yep, with the price of petrol mowers these days, you'd have to be mad notto
use one on anything bigger than a postage stamp.

Unless you don't like the weight, the smell, the petrol and the noise
:-)

Old 13-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Registered User

Location: Uk, Lincolnshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by htmark98
I put down new turf in October and havent cut it since, now it's quite
long a good 6/7". Can i cut this now? or should i leave it a little
longer?
yep you should cut that but never remove more than 1/3rd of the leaf blade.

turf doc

old bluebell, tulip, daffodil foliage - to cut or not to cut?! redtail Gardening 2 04-06-2008 07:24 PM
Cut-Flower Care-How to Make Your Fresh-Cut Flowers Last O My Garden[_2_] Gardening 0 14-09-2007 06:40 AM
[IBC] To cut or not to cut thatīs the question. Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 0 04-11-2004 01:39 PM
To cut or not to cut ? Allen Lai Lawns 4 31-10-2003 11:22 PM
To cut or not to cut .... Allen Lai Lawns 9 12-06-2003 04:56 AM