Old 31-03-2003, 07:33 PM
jane

Default Will my clematis sieboldii survive?

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 09:26:18 +0100, Rachel Sullivan
wrote:

~In article , K
writes
~
~"Keith" wrote in message
~: Mine is in a big pot underneath an evergreen bush. It's survived the snow
~: and the frost and is now growing pretty fast.
~: Even c. cirrhosa 'Freckles' is doing pretty well. I'm having more trouble
~: with the normal hybrids than the difficult to grow varieties.
~:
~: Keith (West London)
~:
~'
~My sieboldii survived the snow, too. It didn't seem to like the recent
~frosty nights and warm days.
~
~'Freckles' is next on my list to try. Is it a particularly difficult one?
~
~
~Not as difficult as sieboldii. It seems to be like most of the
~evergreens - unpredictable. It's not as hardy as armandii, but OK on a
~sheltered wall - though I know it tolerates poorer conditions than that
~perfectly well ... if it feels helpful.

What I'd love to know is how to get a bog standard C Balearica to flower.
But as you said, it's unpredictable!
I've had one three years now, bought from Taylors Clematis nursery, it's
about 10' long (if I unwind it from the trellis) and is still refusing to
bud. I asked at BBC GW last year (Nat clematis soc) what to do and they
said feed it with phostrogen. I did, but again nothing this winter. I also
had this problem with C tangutica. Same solution, same sheltered
south-facing fence, and it flowered it's hat off.

*sigh*

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!
Old 31-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from "Charlie Pridham" contains these words:

Hopefully Rachel will spot this thread because I gave up growing this
variety, It is not frost tender as such but seems a lot les robust than
other clematis and I would concur with the grow in Shelter advice.

growing
in a pot is fine and I would expect it to reshoot from below ground. In

the
mean time remove all dead and dying bits.

Do you mean it just dwindled?
If it doesn't prosper in Cornawall, then I wouldn't have thought there's
much hope for the rest of us!

Janet G

Its a plant that seems to like the quiet life! so a windy place like
Cornwall doesn't suit it, but also the lack of summer heat and lack of
winter cold don't help. But the main reason I stopped growing it was that it
didn't earn its keep, my plants have to provide me a living from cuttings,
it didn't so wasn't replaced :~) (it is hard to strike and has a high loss
rate growing on, hence its relatively high price) I figure if the person
selling the plant can't grow it, it doesn't give the customer much of a
chance!

I bought mine from the local Wyevale Garden Centre for £2.99 so perhaps
I've done quite well. Goodness knows how they manage to produce them for
that price. My intention was to pamper it for a season and then try
something more high-risk with it, but maybe it won't make it that far.
It's obviously only a baby at the moment.

Janet G
Old 02-04-2003, 08:08 AM
Rachel Sullivan

unsure of attributions, so snipped 'em

What I'd love to know is how to get a bog standard C Balearica to flower.
But as you said, it's unpredictable!
I've had one three years now, bought from Taylors Clematis nursery, it's
about 10' long (if I unwind it from the trellis) and is still refusing to
bud. I asked at BBC GW last year (Nat clematis soc) what to do and they
said feed it with phostrogen. I did, but again nothing this winter.

Go the opposite way and starve it! The cirrhosa's come from the
Mediterranean & Southern Europe where they grow wild. I imagine they
must grow naturally in quite poor soil with good drainage - no standing
in water in winter and no deluges on a regular basis as in England.

I don't imagine they get fed with phostrogen either, so try giving it
nothing for a while.

I also
had this problem with C tangutica. Same solution, same sheltered
south-facing fence, and it flowered it's hat off.

*sigh*

Ah, but tangutica is different ... but still doesn't like too much rich
living & prefers a drier site ... usually ...

Funny things, clematis ...

--
Rachel
Clematis Web Site
Old 02-04-2003, 09:32 AM
jane

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 07:55:10 +0100, Rachel Sullivan
wrote:

~unsure of attributions, so snipped 'em
~
~What I'd love to know is how to get a bog standard C Balearica to flower.
~But as you said, it's unpredictable!
~I've had one three years now, bought from Taylors Clematis nursery, it's
~about 10' long (if I unwind it from the trellis) and is still refusing to
~bud. I asked at BBC GW last year (Nat clematis soc) what to do and they
~said feed it with phostrogen. I did, but again nothing this winter.
~
~Go the opposite way and starve it! The cirrhosa's come from the
~Mediterranean & Southern Europe where they grow wild. I imagine they
~must grow naturally in quite poor soil with good drainage - no standing
~in water in winter and no deluges on a regular basis as in England.

ok - I'll give that a go! The soil that end of the bed isn't so good -
mix of clay, chalk, sand and compost heap. (It was where previous
owner of house had a patio, hence the sand! Chalk is the native soil
and I have no idea where the clay came from. )

~I don't imagine they get fed with phostrogen either, so try giving it
~nothing for a while.

Thanks Rachel.

~
~I also
~had this problem with C tangutica. Same solution, same sheltered
~south-facing fence, and it flowered it's hat off.
~
~*sigh*
~
~Ah, but tangutica is different ... but still doesn't like too much rich
~living & prefers a drier site ... usually ...
It's in a raised bed of 4" bought topsoil and humus from my garden
compost heap, a few years away from the balearica. Directly behind
the fence is a 3' drop into the next garden. So well-drained applies
to both...

~
~Funny things, clematis ...

I know that! I'm just slightly obsessed by them.
I have ten varieties (at last count): alpina, montana rubens,
voluceau, tangutica, balearica, Gillian Blades, Gravetye Beauty,
sunstar (from seed), a viticella and one I inherited without a label.
The idea was to have at least one out each month, which is why I'm so
miffed with the winter one!

Gillian (huge white flowers) got wilt during flowering in the second
year and hasn't flowered since, but I had planted deeply and followed
the usual cut-to-base and hope instructions and it resprouted nicely.
It has just got back to a decent size. I have very high hopes for this
year (4th).
The cast-iron voluceau has been dug up once just before flowering (for
fence replacement) and lived in a pot for three weeks before being
replanted: still happily going. The alpina is lovely and about to
explode in blue, and the montana has now covered three fence panels
and I have to keep retrieving it from next door! As you do. The
tangutica covers a fence panel each season, and half the shed if I let
it. The viticella is currently trying to beat it I think.
Gravetye Beauty is in a large pot with a cane pyramid and some of the
sunstars, so I get yellow bells through the summer and blood-red in
the autumn. Nearly killed this by not noticing it was short of water
last year but it seems to have forgiven me and is shooting happily
right now. So I've had my ups and downs - but wish that darn balearica
would flower! I will duly ignore it this season.

My Dad's a Sieboldii collector - they attract him like a magnet! And
he grows them in pots where he is in N Derbyshire, and I'm not sure if
he takes them in inside in winter. Must ask... it's certainly cold up
there. (Gets back on topic!)