Old 21-02-2006, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Mea culpa!

Having said merrily that our Akebia quinata is in flower now, I have to
retract speedily. Growing up the same pillar is a Clematis nepalensis whose
stamens are the same colour as the Akebia flowers. Dashing past it the
other day, I thought "Oh, the Akebia is flowering", having glanced
all-too-hastily at the Clematis nepalensis stamens in my rush. Sorry for
misleading Rupert and giving him the vapours!
OTOH, I must heartily recommend the C.nepalensis which is delicately
beautiful and best of all, perhaps, flowering now!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-02-2006, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
Having said merrily that our Akebia quinata is in flower now, I have to
retract speedily. Growing up the same pillar is a Clematis nepalensis
whose
stamens are the same colour as the Akebia flowers. Dashing past it the
other day, I thought "Oh, the Akebia is flowering", having glanced
all-too-hastily at the Clematis nepalensis stamens in my rush. Sorry for
misleading Rupert and giving him the vapours!
OTOH, I must heartily recommend the C.nepalensis which is delicately
beautiful and best of all, perhaps, flowering now!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
)

God that's a relief. Unfortunately I have just spent the last six hours
looking for property in your area:-) Job cancelled I will stick with
Yorkshire and you will not have the problem ( pleasure) of having me as a
neighbour

Old 21-02-2006, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 21/2/06 13:57, in article , "Rupert"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
Having said merrily that our Akebia quinata is in flower now, I have to
retract speedily. Growing up the same pillar is a Clematis nepalensis
whose
stamens are the same colour as the Akebia flowers. Dashing past it the
other day, I thought "Oh, the Akebia is flowering", having glanced
all-too-hastily at the Clematis nepalensis stamens in my rush. Sorry for
misleading Rupert and giving him the vapours!
OTOH, I must heartily recommend the C.nepalensis which is delicately
beautiful and best of all, perhaps, flowering now!

God that's a relief. Unfortunately I have just spent the last six hours
looking for property in your area:-) Job cancelled I will stick with
Yorkshire and you will not have the problem ( pleasure) of having me as a
neighbour

LOL! 2 tiny cottages are for sale in this area - one right now and one
coming up! The smallest is very small, with its largest bedroom being
12'x8' and it needs everything doing to it. It's guide price is £195,000
and they've had more than six offers over that! OTOH, to make you feel
better, it's just snowed without any warning at all - vicious flurry of snow
for about 3 minutes and now it's stopped, though the sky is still leaden. A
keen gardener like you would be a very welcome neighbour, I'm sure - the
Nursery would be thrilled to see you! ;-))
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-02-2006, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Lea

In article , Sacha
writes
it's just snowed without any warning at all - vicious flurry of snow
for about 3 minutes and now it's stopped, though the sky is still leaden. A
keen gardener like you would be a very welcome neighbour, I'm sure - the
Nursery would be thrilled to see you! ;-))

I can better that, I had to sit in my car for 5 minutes in case the hail
and wind knocked me off my feet this morning - it's very cold here in
Norfolk.

--
Judith Lea
Old 21-02-2006, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
On 21/2/06 13:57, in article , "Rupert"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
[...]

I suppose I could use a really good Nursery on the doorstep.
I would more than make up for the vast loss of revenue your business
suffered when the owner went and married his best customer.
No I tell a lie-she went and married him.
No snow here yet but we had a small hail storm yesterday.
That reminds me-Last year we had a hail storm very late in the season which
drilled holes through the leaves of Hostas. (it's grim up North)

Old 21-02-2006, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Crazy Dog

Sacha wrote:
to make you feel
better, it's just snowed without any warning at all - vicious flurry of snow
for about 3 minutes and now it's stopped, though the sky is still leaden.

Here in the east of Birmingham we've had snow, sleet, hail and rain.
This morning we had thunder rattling the windows.

Why do these things only happen when I go outside?

Old 21-02-2006, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 21/2/06 15:07, in article , "Crazy Dog"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
to make you feel
better, it's just snowed without any warning at all - vicious flurry of snow
for about 3 minutes and now it's stopped, though the sky is still leaden.

Here in the east of Birmingham we've had snow, sleet, hail and rain.
This morning we had thunder rattling the windows.

Why do these things only happen when I go outside?

Please - stay indoors! I've just driven home in a hailstorm!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-02-2006, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Joan Riley

wrote:

Sacha wrote:
to make you feel
better, it's just snowed without any warning at all - vicious flurry of snow
for about 3 minutes and now it's stopped, though the sky is still leaden.

Here in the east of Birmingham we've had snow, sleet, hail and rain.
This morning we had thunder rattling the windows.

Why do these things only happen when I go outside?

Please - stay indoors! I've just driven home in a hailstorm!

Here in Ayrshire it's been a lovely day again - some cloud but lots of
sunshine, though one big cloud sent a few snowflakes down this
morning. Quite breezy at ground level but up on the roof this
afternoon the wind was blowing the wood preserver out of the pan as I
was trying to paint it on!

Joan in Ayrshire
remove 'spam' from email to reply
Old 21-02-2006, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:
"Sacha" wrote in message
id...

Having said merrily that our Akebia quinata is in flower now, I have to
retract speedily. Growing up the same pillar is a Clematis nepalensis
whose
stamens are the same colour as the Akebia flowers. Dashing past it the
other day, I thought "Oh, the Akebia is flowering", having glanced
all-too-hastily at the Clematis nepalensis stamens in my rush. Sorry for
misleading Rupert and giving him the vapours!
OTOH, I must heartily recommend the C.nepalensis which is delicately
beautiful and best of all, perhaps, flowering now!

God that's a relief. Unfortunately I have just spent the last six hours
looking for property in your area:-) Job cancelled I will stick with
Yorkshire and you will not have the problem ( pleasure) of having me as a
neighbour

Hatches cunning plan: Next-door neighbours' house is for sale. Lifts
photo of planter and of Akebia quinata in full bloom from catalogue and
photograph neighbour's garden, making sure the snowdrops and winter
aconites show, in front of the leafless poplars at the end.

Do a bit of snazzy cloning, send you the resulting pic and we'll have
you buying next-door's place. Then I can provide you with all the Ransom
seeds you could possibly want innit.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 21-02-2006, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

LOL! 2 tiny cottages are for sale in this area - one right now and one
coming up! The smallest is very small, with its largest bedroom being
12'x8' and it needs everything doing to it. It's guide price is £195,000
and they've had more than six offers over that! OTOH, to make you feel
better, it's just snowed without any warning at all - vicious flurry of snow
for about 3 minutes and now it's stopped, though the sky is still leaden. A
keen gardener like you would be a very welcome neighbour, I'm sure - the
Nursery would be thrilled to see you! ;-))

*HOW* much? How are the local youngsters going to get onto the bottom
rung even of the housing ladder?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 21-02-2006, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Judith Lea contains these words:

In article , Sacha
writes
it's just snowed without any warning at all - vicious flurry of snow
for about 3 minutes and now it's stopped, though the sky is still
leaden. A
keen gardener like you would be a very welcome neighbour, I'm sure - the
Nursery would be thrilled to see you! ;-))

I can better that, I had to sit in my car for 5 minutes in case the hail
and wind knocked me off my feet this morning - it's very cold here in
Norfolk.

I was outside in the garden in my shirtsleeves, cutting logs this
morning. It was pleasantly warm here in Norfolk.

Er -

Are we in parallel universes?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 21-02-2006, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

I suppose I could use a really good Nursery on the doorstep.
I would more than make up for the vast loss of revenue your business
suffered when the owner went and married his best customer.
No I tell a lie-she went and married him.
No snow here yet but we had a small hail storm yesterday.
That reminds me-Last year we had a hail storm very late in the season which
drilled holes through the leaves of Hostas. (it's grim up North)

I were savaged by a wild tripe last time I were oop north, 'appen. They
hibernate in t'dark satanic mills while April, when they wake oop and
lay waste to the onion beds int' Grimethorpe Allotments.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 21-02-2006, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Crazy Dog

Joan Riley wrote:

Quite breezy at ground level but up on the roof this
afternoon the wind was blowing the wood preserver out of the pan as I
was trying to paint it on!

Just make sure the wood you're preserving is downwind. Why make work for
yourself?
Old 21-02-2006, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

I was outside in the garden in my shirtsleeves, cutting logs this
morning. It was pleasantly warm here in Norfolk.

Er -

Are we in parallel universes?

Something's definitely up. Here off the eastern edge of Exmoor it was
viciously cold this morning. Not much sign of improvement until the
end of the weekend, either. I was planning on putting the glazing
in the new greenhouse as soon as possible, but with winds of 20mph+
forecast, I think I'll leave it for a while.

James
Old 21-02-2006, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 21/2/06 21:25, in article ,
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

LOL! 2 tiny cottages are for sale in this area - one right now and one
coming up! The smallest is very small, with its largest bedroom being
12'x8' and it needs everything doing to it. It's guide price is £195,000
and they've had more than six offers over that! OTOH, to make you feel
better, it's just snowed without any warning at all - vicious flurry of snow
for about 3 minutes and now it's stopped, though the sky is still leaden. A
keen gardener like you would be a very welcome neighbour, I'm sure - the
Nursery would be thrilled to see you! ;-))

*HOW* much? How are the local youngsters going to get onto the bottom
rung even of the housing ladder?

They're not. The South Hams is apparently "highly desirable" as to location
and with good reason. It's a beautiful place to live. But while so many
surrounding areas have so many second homes in them, local people will never
afford to start buying houses here while they're young. In our particular
area, I know of only one second home and that has been owned by the same
family since the last war and the only alteration made to it is the
installation of an indoor bathroom. They still cook over the open fire.
But in e.g. the Salcombe area I'm told that many shops close in winter
because so many second home owners don't appear and some years ago, an
estate agent tried to sell me a house in another, not-too-far-distant
location by telling me that it was very quiet because most of the
neighbours were absent most of the time!
I should add that the owners of the two properties I mention are the Church
Commissioners and that the reason that one of those cottages is up for sale
(as will be the farm to which it is linked and for over £1mill we reckon) is
because the farmer is giving up farming because he is sick of working all
hours to receive less than working value for the milk his cows produced.
The cows are gone and the cottage was, until recently, occupied by the
cowman.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk