Old 22-02-2006, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andy Mabbett

Default Black Elder: harmful if eaten?

I recently bought a Black Elder (Sambucus niger) for friend who's
growing a bird- friendly garden. She also has two dogs, one a puppy.

She was concerned to read on the label that the plant is "harmful if
eaten". Since both elder flowers and elderberries are a food, what's
harmful? Is it the bark or sap, or something else? Or simply
over-cautious labelling.
--
Andy Mabbett

Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards: http://www.no2id.net/
Old 22-02-2006, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Andy Mabbett
writes

I recently bought a Black Elder (Sambucus niger) for friend who's
growing a bird- friendly garden. She also has two dogs, one a puppy.

She was concerned to read on the label that the plant is "harmful if
eaten". Since both elder flowers and elderberries are a food, what's
harmful? Is it the bark or sap, or something else? Or simply
over-cautious labelling.

There was a thread here on the topic recently. Elderberries contain
cyanogenic glucosides, from which cyanide is produced. Google for
sambunigrin.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 22-02-2006, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

Andy Mabbett wrote:

I recently bought a Black Elder (Sambucus niger) for friend who's
growing a bird- friendly garden. She also has two dogs, one a puppy.

She was concerned to read on the label that the plant is "harmful if
eaten". Since both elder flowers and elderberries are a food, what's
harmful? Is it the bark or sap, or something else? Or simply
over-cautious labelling.

(From memory of some research I did whilst wondering what to do with
the 20lbs of elderberries I picked last autumn.)

AFAIR, pretty much all parts of most varieties of Elder are toxic to
some degree. Sambucus niger has berries that are toxic when unripe,
and stems, leaves, bark etc. are also toxic. Some of the other
varieties of Elder have very unpleasant tasting fruit and one (Red
Elder, I think?) has poisonous fruit.

Anyhow, I've made some elderberry wine and some elderberry ice-cream
and it doesn't seem to have done me any ha
Old 22-02-2006, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andy Mabbett

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
Even dogs who like eating fruit and berries, won't touch elderberries
ime.

Perhaps, but this one (the youngster; half Staffordshire Bull Terrier,
part whippet and part ferret) eats wallpaper, plaster, carpets,
chipboard, rubber gloves, one of my hats and a mobile phone (so far..!).

Old 23-02-2006, 03:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Andy Mabbett contains these words:
In message , Janet Baraclough
writes

Even dogs who like eating fruit and berries, won't touch elderberries
ime.

Perhaps, but this one (the youngster; half Staffordshire Bull Terrier,
part whippet and part ferret) eats wallpaper, plaster, carpets,
chipboard, rubber gloves, one of my hats and a mobile phone (so far..!).

Have you tried it on Winalot and (say) Pal?

Our English bull terror used to eat fallen apples and pears, but I never
saw her hoovering fallen elderberries - and we had a fair number of
those.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 23-02-2006, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave the exTrailer

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 22:52:40 +0000, Andy Mabbett
wrote:

I recently bought a Black Elder (Sambucus niger) for friend who's
growing a bird- friendly garden. She also has two dogs, one a puppy.

She was concerned to read on the label that the plant is "harmful if
eaten". Since both elder flowers and elderberries are a food, what's
harmful? Is it the bark or sap, or something else? Or simply
over-cautious labelling.

Andy Mabbett?
Now there's a name from the past to bring an attack of the horrors to
people

Old 23-02-2006, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Andy Mabbett writes:
| In message , Janet Baraclough
| writes
|
| Even dogs who like eating fruit and berries, won't touch elderberries
| ime.
|
| Perhaps, but this one (the youngster; half Staffordshire Bull Terrier,
| part whippet and part ferret) eats wallpaper, plaster, carpets,
| chipboard, rubber gloves, one of my hats and a mobile phone (so far..!).

Nice to see you posting here again.

I hope that he also eats trolls - nothing else seems to :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-02-2006, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 22/2/06 23:59, in article , "Andy
Mabbett" wrote:

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
Even dogs who like eating fruit and berries, won't touch elderberries
ime.

Perhaps, but this one (the youngster; half Staffordshire Bull Terrier,
part whippet and part ferret) eats wallpaper, plaster, carpets,
chipboard, rubber gloves, one of my hats and a mobile phone (so far..!).

One of our Jack Russell's has eaten his way through about five beds of
differing kinds - he is particularly partial to that imitation sheepskin
stuff. He also catches and eats rats and rabbits (occasionally)and then
thoughtfully deposits the partially digested remains on the kitchen floor.
Our collie cross used to eat carrots and wandered around for hours with one
stuck out of the corner of her mouth, peering round bushes at people as if
to say "would you like to admire this carrot?" She stole them out of the
veg.rack.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 23-02-2006, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Flower Bobdew

In article , Andy Mabbett
writes

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes

Even dogs who like eating fruit and berries, won't touch elderberries
ime.

Perhaps, but this one (the youngster; half Staffordshire Bull Terrier,
part whippet and part ferret) eats wallpaper, plaster, carpets,
chipboard, rubber gloves, one of my hats and a mobile phone (so far..!).

Sheesh! That's one untidy garden.

--
Flower Bobdew
South Facing Garden
Old 23-02-2006, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Nick Maclaren" wrote after
Andy Mabbett posted

Nice to see you posting here again.

I hope that he also eats trolls - nothing else seems to :-(

Yes, I second that, nice to see you back Andy.

I just realised I haven't seen "that" troll around lately.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 23-02-2006, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
newsb

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Dave the exTrailer contains these words:

Now there's a name from the past to bring an attack of the horrors to
people

Oh look, another crony of the crazed cruiser. Where is that flea powder?

On the subject of that modest bloke that owns the Isle of Wight - he
wasn't on that cruise that hot-footed to South america without stopping
was he?

--
regards andyw
Old 23-02-2006, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 23/2/06 16:12, in article , "newsb"
wrote:

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Dave the exTrailer contains these words:

Now there's a name from the past to bring an attack of the horrors to
people

Oh look, another crony of the crazed cruiser. Where is that flea powder?

On the subject of that modest bloke that owns the Isle of Wight - he
wasn't on that cruise that hot-footed to South america without stopping
was he?

Do we care? ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 23-02-2006, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Mike Lyle" wrote
Another sad case of an untrained dog-owner, methinks. I don't want to
belittle anybody, as it can seem difficult to train a dog, especially
if one has the bizarre soppy attitude to animals some British people
have; but if one lets a pet get into that kind of habit, one really
has only oneself to blame. Dogs _like_ being strictly trained; in
fact, it's emotional abuse to deprive them of it. If one doesn't enjoy
working and playing with dogs, there's not much point in having one at
all.
/rant

If you see that tv programme 'It's Me or the Dog', it appears a lot of
people treat their poor animals as Barbie doll substitutes! :-/

--
Sue