Old 04-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Kostas Kavoussanakis

Default Shrub ID

Hi,

There is a largish shrub currently in flower that I am keen to ID.
Its flowers are bright, deep pink and small but appear in hanging
clusters, like mini, upside-down hyacinth flowers. The leaves are like
small vine or maple leaves, with 3 clear "sections", deeply veined and
bright green.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Kostas
Old 04-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Philippe Gautier

Kostas Kavoussanakis wrote:
Hi,

There is a largish shrub currently in flower that I am keen to ID.
Its flowers are bright, deep pink and small but appear in hanging
clusters, like mini, upside-down hyacinth flowers. The leaves are like
small vine or maple leaves, with 3 clear "sections", deeply veined and
bright green.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Kostas

Flowering current (Ribes sanguineum)?

for ex: http://www.laspilitas.com/plants/584.htm

Philippe

Old 04-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Kay Easton

In article .hx,
Kostas Kavoussanakis writes

Hi,

There is a largish shrub currently in flower that I am keen to ID.
Its flowers are bright, deep pink and small but appear in hanging
clusters, like mini, upside-down hyacinth flowers. The leaves are like
small vine or maple leaves, with 3 clear "sections", deeply veined and
bright green.

Flowering currant? Does it smell of cats pee?

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 04-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Kostas Kavoussanakis

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Kay Easton wrote:

In article .hx,
Kostas Kavoussanakis writes

Hi,

There is a largish shrub currently in flower that I am keen to ID.
Its flowers are bright, deep pink and small but appear in hanging
clusters, like mini, upside-down hyacinth flowers. The leaves are like
small vine or maple leaves, with 3 clear "sections", deeply veined and
bright green.

Flowering currant? Does it smell of cats pee?

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check the smell on Monday (though I
am not sure what cat pee smells like, I seem to recall a (herby?)
smell). I will also confirm the frills on the leaves, as per
Philippe's link and photo (thanks for that too).

Kostas

p.s.: Philippe's link suggests growing it 5 feet away from a lawn; any
idea why?
Old 04-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Kay Easton

[...]

It's quite good at suckering.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"Kostas Kavoussanakis" wrote in message
q.np.hx...
[...]

Kostas,

I have two of them and love the smell! I don't think of cat pee but
of one of the first scents of spring. Pungent yes, but not cat pee.
When it comes into bloom I know everything is waking up. Lovely.

Someone has mentioned suckers. For some reason we have never had one
sucker from either of our two shrubs.

Regards
Iris McCanna

Old 05-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Barry & Iris McCanna
writes

Flowering currant? Does it smell of cats pee?

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check the smell on Monday (though

am not sure what cat pee smells like, I seem to recall a (herby?)
smell). I will also confirm the frills on the leaves, as per
Philippe's link and photo (thanks for that too).

Kostas

p.s.: Philippe's link suggests growing it 5 feet away from a lawn;

any
idea why?

Kostas,

I have two of them and love the smell! I don't think of cat pee but
of one of the first scents of spring. Pungent yes, but not cat pee.
When it comes into bloom I know everything is waking up. Lovely.

Someone has mentioned suckers. For some reason we have never had one
sucker from either of our two shrubs.

I knew I should have been clearer - I'm not thinking suckers in the
sense of coming up from the roots feet away from the bush, but the way
the lowest branches have of sagging on to the ground and rooting so that
your original bush eventually has about 5ft square in intimate contact
with the soil.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 06-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Hussein M.

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 22:45:42 +0100, Kay Easton
wrotc:

Someone has mentioned suckers. For some reason we have never had one
sucker from either of our two shrubs.

I knew I should have been clearer - I'm not thinking suckers in the
sense of coming up from the roots feet away from the bush, but the way
the lowest branches have of sagging on to the ground and rooting so that
your original bush eventually has about 5ft square in intimate contact
with the soil.

I call that self layering. A neglected winter jasmine is very adept
at it. However, unlike the scenario you have painted, stems on the J.
n arch down feet away to start a new plant.

Huss

Grow a little garden
Old 11-04-2003, 08:23 PM
Kostas Kavoussanakis

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Kostas Kavoussanakis wrote:

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Kay Easton wrote:

In article .hx,
Kostas Kavoussanakis writes

There is a largish shrub currently in flower that I am keen to ID.
Its flowers are bright, deep pink and small but appear in hanging
clusters, like mini, upside-down hyacinth flowers. The leaves are like
small vine or maple leaves, with 3 clear "sections", deeply veined and
bright green.

Flowering currant? Does it smell of cats pee?

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check the smell on Monday (though I
am not sure what cat pee smells like, I seem to recall a (herby?)
smell). I will also confirm the frills on the leaves, as per
Philippe's link and photo (thanks for that too).

I confirmed some kind of smell and the frills, so I believe it's a
Flowering currant. Many thanks for all the answers.

Kostas

shrub Honeysuckle Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 27-10-2003 02:42 PM
What is this shrub? animaux Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
[IBC] unknown shrub, can it be used for bonsai? Sam Williams Bonsai 6 13-02-2003 02:55 AM
Planting new rosemary bush/shrub Anita Blanchard Gardening 1 04-02-2003 09:16 PM
evergreen shrub dying? Faye Lifford-Earle Gardening 0 24-01-2003 10:14 AM