Old 26-02-2006, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
capstan

Default Vine Weevils

One of the old boys here who's been gardening since Robin Hood was a lad
(but looks older) claims he's cracked the problem of weevils in outside pots
and planters.
He says he always wipes or paints the rim of the containers with neat Jeyes
Fluid to deter the beetles getting at the soil.
He does this four or five times a season, and he very rarely gets any grubs
and he reckons it doesn't damage the plants. He's a fuchsia fanatic and
grows and exhibits hundreds.
He reckons that Armatillox stuff is just as good..... but more expensive.
After helping him to repot lots of his specimen plants this past week I can
attest to how weevil-free his stock is.
Unlike my collection which is crawling with literally hundreds of grubs.
Many of my plants have been killed off....which happens every year.
He said that a couple of years back he smeared the pot rims with that sticky
stuff you paint around fruit tree trunks and this was good but was very
messy to your hands if you forgot about it when you had to handle the pots.
The old bugger reckons its a combination of bad smell and sore feet which
deters the beetles, but I just nod knowingly and say have another beer Alf.
Anyway, I'm giving it a try this year.

capstan.

PS. My wife has just reminded me that the "old" codger is two years younger
than me. Wives are like that !!

Old 26-02-2006, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
capstan wrote:
One of the old boys here who's been gardening since Robin Hood was a lad
(but looks older) claims he's cracked the problem of weevils in outside pots
and planters.

There is a simpler, more ecological solution - move north or inland :-)

But that does sound interesting, especially as it involves using only
a small amount of toxin.

PS. My wife has just reminded me that the "old" codger is two years younger
than me. Wives are like that !!

Actually, mine is the other way round. I keep telling her I am going
senile, and she isn't keen on that :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-02-2006, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Nick Maclaren wrote:
There is a simpler, more ecological solution - move north or inland :-)

I get them here!! Well, got them once - the heuchera got it bad.

But that does sound interesting, especially as it involves using only
a small amount of toxin.

What's Jeyes? Washing up liquid?

Old 27-02-2006, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
capstan

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Nick Maclaren wrote:
There is a simpler, more ecological solution - move north or inland :-)

I get them here!! Well, got them once - the heuchera got it bad.

But that does sound interesting, especially as it involves using only
a small amount of toxin.

What's Jeyes? Washing up liquid?

A strong garden disinfectant......I think it's tar based......which also has
a strong odour.

capstan.

Old 27-02-2006, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"capstan" wrote in message

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Nick Maclaren wrote:
There is a simpler, more ecological solution - move north or inland :-)

I get them here!! Well, got them once - the heuchera got it bad.

But that does sound interesting, especially as it involves using only
a small amount of toxin.

What's Jeyes? Washing up liquid?

A strong garden disinfectant......I think it's tar based......which also
has a strong odour.

capstan.

It's a phenolic mix in a solvent which is not that far removed from Creosote
but without the nasty byproducts that creosote contained.
I thought that it had been removed or perhaps it will be soon.

Jeyes Fluid can no longer be used for plant protection such as killing moss
and lichen, or for soil sterilisation. .
http://www.badger.org.uk/news/030911b.html

Old 27-02-2006, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Rupert wrote:
It's a phenolic mix in a solvent which is not that far removed from
Creosote
but without the nasty byproducts that creosote contained.
I thought that it had been removed or perhaps it will be soon.
Jeyes Fluid can no longer be used for plant protection such as killing
moss
and lichen, or for soil sterilisation. .
http://www.badger.org.uk/news/030911b.html

Yurk.

Rupert - help. Can you give me 3 fungi killer, 3 dissease killer and 3
pest killer which are not 'too' bad for the environment? I'm completely
lost with these now. I need them if I'm asked next week and I'm so
confused now with which ones are on the shelves, not on the shelves,
terribly bad, not so bad ect. Ta in anticipation.

I can think of a few but in each case it would be better to know which
particular fungi, disease or pest. Also there are several that the
commercial growers use which the amateurs are not allowed to use.

I will kick off with Sulphur for fungi and Fatty acid soaps for some pests
Both are still legal.
I pass on the disease question cos you really would need to know what
disease and on what plant.
There are dozens of products which will do the jobs you require but most are
now officially banned and a majority are probably not too bad for the
environment.

Old 27-02-2006, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article .com,
"La Puce" writes:
| Nick Maclaren wrote:
| There is a simpler, more ecological solution - move north or inland :-)
|
| I get them here!! Well, got them once - the heuchera got it bad.

Outside? And where?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-02-2006, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Nick Maclaren wrote:

| I get them here!! Well, got them once - the heuchera got it bad.

Outside? And where?

Outside, in one of my beds. Full sun now, but was a bit shadowed by a
holly and last year it was very humid that part of the bed (don't know
if that's the reason). The heuchera was with lots of other herbaceous
which weren't touched, verbena, astrantia, achillea, sedum, scabiosa,
anemones, echinacea ... only the heuchera got it. I lifted the leaves
just to check because it was a bit droopy - and the whole top lifted
and found the yellow eggs and was very dusty!! I first thought it was a
spider. I have since put two other heuchera in pots. Some say that it
won't help. But I'm worried about the place now. I haven't seen them
since that time. I think they like bracks - tight and dense place?!

Old 27-02-2006, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Rupert wrote:
I will kick off with Sulphur for fungi and Fatty acid soaps for some
pests
Both are still legal.

Is there a name for that Sulphur for fungi? And the fatty acid, is Bio
Pest Control still ok?

That's sulphur, as in elemental sulphur (soufre),the yellow powder.Quite
good for dusting tubers of dahlia, cana etc.

Bio pest control covers a range of products ,one of which is fatty acid
based.

Are these herbicide still used:- Glyphosate (translocated herbicide);
Simazine (residual)

Glyphosate is sold extensively under various names
Simazine is on the way out totally by 2006/7 I think

Are these insectisides still used:- Malathion; Primicarb; Metaldehyde
and Primicarb. Is there names for these easier to remember?

http://www.bpfs.org.uk/en/fkb/pests/chemicals-pf.htm

The names are the simplest abbreviations you will get.
For example Simazine=6-chloro-N,N'-diethyl-1,3,5-triazine-2,4-diamine

With this, I'll be happy to just learn them - but will never use them.
That would be great if you could just let me know these and I won't
bother you about it again )

Deal

Old 28-02-2006, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

There is a good website set p by the Crop Protection Association -
http://www.garden-care.org.uk/
There is a page where you can enter a problem and some details and it
advises what products are available for the home gardener. It does it
by retail product name rather than active ingredients. That page is
http://www.garden-care.org.uk/GardenCare/default.asp. Also has organic
options too.
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, S Yorkshire

Old 28-02-2006, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

wrote in message
oups.com...
There is a good website set p by the Crop Protection Association -
http://www.garden-care.org.uk/
There is a page where you can enter a problem and some details and it
advises what products are available for the home gardener. It does it
by retail product name rather than active ingredients. That page is
http://www.garden-care.org.uk/GardenCare/default.asp. Also has organic
options too.
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, S Yorkshire

Excellent links thanks, but there is no recommended cure for rats on
ornamental houseplants. Cats would have seemed an obvious organic solution
:-)

Old 28-02-2006, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

wrote:
There is a good website set p by the Crop Protection Association -
http://www.garden-care.org.uk/
There is a page where you can enter a problem and some details and it
advises what products are available for the home gardener. It does it
by retail product name rather than active ingredients. That page is
http://www.garden-care.org.uk/GardenCare/default.asp. Also has organic
options too.

This is totally brilliant. Thank you very much.

Old 28-02-2006, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

Excellent links thanks, but there is no recommended cure for rats on
ornamental houseplants.

Look on the bright side; when they get bored they'll hunt the
cockroaches in the kitchen.

Janet

Bugga my only *free crunchy food* scoffed by rats.

Old 28-02-2006, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Nick Maclaren wrote:
Outside? And where?

I found a pic of one of my heuchera now in pot. Incidentally I have no
idea which one I have - both have rosie flowers. I'd like a bright red
one now. Anyone knows a vine weevils resistant? ;o)

http://cjoint.com/?cCpcliFCqV