Old 08-03-2006, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
androo

Default What shrub to fill a gap?

I've recently moved into a new house, and the garden is nice an private,
except for one gap about six feet wide.

It faces south, but will be shaded mostly by a tree in the garden below
mine.

I don't know what kind of soil it it I'm afraid, but the previous owner
must've found hebees particularly easy to grow because they're everywhere.
So I'd prefer something different.

It doesn't have to growm more than 4 to 5 feet tall I suppose.

Anything obvious spring to mind?

--
Androo
(Remove your clothes to reply)

Old 08-03-2006, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"androo" wrote in message
I've recently moved into a new house, and the garden is nice an private,
except for one gap about six feet wide.

It faces south, but will be shaded mostly by a tree in the garden below
mine.

I don't know what kind of soil it it I'm afraid, but the previous owner
must've found hebees particularly easy to grow because they're everywhere.
So I'd prefer something different.

It doesn't have to growm more than 4 to 5 feet tall I suppose.

Anything obvious spring to mind?

--
Androo
(Remove your clothes to reply)

The fact that Hebes are growing gives no real clue as to the soil type as
they are fairly happy in most environments.
If the soil is acid/neutral then I would go for an Acer or Magnolia or
Camellia..
The choice depends to some extent on what trees/shrubs are adjacent to it.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
androo

Where do you live? That will makes a difference as to what people
suggest.
One possibility is Camellia - it will grow taller than you mention but it
can be kept trimmed.

Thanks everyone. I live in West Yorkshire (UK). The shrubs around the gap
are mostly the aforementioned hebees, but there's what was no doubt one
year's family Christmas tree (now about twelve feet tall) quite close too,
and a nice rosemary bush that's doing well. Also a holly.

Camellia seems to be the consensus so far!!

Androo

Hungry Gap Chris[_3_] United Kingdom 5 11-03-2008 05:49 PM
Sheds gap [was:Re DECKING] Brian Watson United Kingdom 2 23-02-2004 07:42 AM
filler for sheltered gap? miss calm United Kingdom 1 06-02-2003 07:40 AM
filler for sheltered gap? miss calm United Kingdom 0 26-01-2003 03:24 PM
Tree/shrub to fill gap? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 6 04-11-2002 02:14 AM