Old 08-03-2006, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

Default Water storage

I've been pondering on high-volume water storage for watering the veggie
plot for some time. I'm thinking about several thousand litres,
collected over the winter from run-off (which handily all ends up in a
single pipe to which I have easy access).

My problem however, is what to store the water in. I can find people
selling large water containers or IBCs (a metre-cube plastic container
in a steel mesh) fairly cheaply on that interweb thing, but the delivery
costs are more that the price of the container.

Anyone have other ideas for bulk water storage? (Or possible sources for
containers that might be reachable from the Taunton area, I guess, so I
can take my trailer and pick them up myself.)

James
Old 08-03-2006, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"James Fidell" wrote in message
I've been pondering on high-volume water storage for watering the veggie
plot for some time. I'm thinking about several thousand litres, collected
over the winter from run-off (which handily all ends up in a single pipe
to which I have easy access).

My problem however, is what to store the water in. I can find people
selling large water containers or IBCs (a metre-cube plastic container in
a steel mesh) fairly cheaply on that interweb thing, but the delivery
costs are more that the price of the container.

Anyone have other ideas for bulk water storage? (Or possible sources for
containers that might be reachable from the Taunton area, I guess, so I
can take my trailer and pick them up myself.)

Befriend your local CORGI. The plumbing and heating geezer that is, not the
queen's favourite canine. People who have boilers replaced now are having
condensing boilers installed. This means that the water tank in the loft is
liberated, and usually comes with some convenient pipe stubs for connecting
up.

Steve

Old 08-03-2006, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"James Fidell" wrote in message

Doh, I forgot to put the link in. Here you can see the stuff I've made from
junk, including my watering system for the greenhouse. All the stuff you see
came from skips, scrap metal, and friendly plumbers.

http://photos.wanadoo.co.uk/album/1454062

Steve

Old 08-03-2006, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

James Fidell wrote:
My problem however, is what to store the water in. I can find people
selling large water containers or IBCs (a metre-cube plastic container
in a steel mesh) fairly cheaply on that interweb thing, but the delivery
costs are more that the price of the container.

What's the approximate cost?

Anyone have other ideas for bulk water storage? (Or possible sources for
containers that might be reachable from the Taunton area, I guess, so I
can take my trailer and pick them up myself.)

Make your own using 4x2 timber, 3/4" WBP ply, and fibreglass
matting.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

shazzbat wrote:

Befriend your local CORGI. The plumbing and heating geezer that is, not the
queen's favourite canine. People who have boilers replaced now are having
condensing boilers installed. This means that the water tank in the loft is
liberated, and usually comes with some convenient pipe stubs for connecting
up.

Surely you only lose the cold water tank if you go to a full
mains-pressure system or use a combi boiler? Certainly the condensing
boiler I've just had installed at painful expense (previous one died on
Christmas Day because the heat exchanger had rusted through) uses all of
the existing plumbing and we still use the water tank for cold water
upstairs and filling the hot water cylinder.

What sizes are commonly used for cold water tanks? 500l?

James

Old 08-03-2006, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Crazy Dog

"James Fidell" wrote in message
I've been pondering on high-volume water storage for watering the veggie
plot for some time. I'm thinking about several thousand litres,
collected over the winter from run-off (which handily all ends up in a
single pipe to which I have easy access).

My problem however, is what to store the water in. I can find people
selling large water containers or IBCs (a metre-cube plastic container
in a steel mesh) fairly cheaply on that interweb thing, but the delivery
costs are more that the price of the container.

Anyone have other ideas for bulk water storage? (Or possible sources for
containers that might be reachable from the Taunton area, I guess, so I
can take my trailer and pick them up myself.)

James

One of those flask-shaped cess-pools? Might be expensive to buy and install,
though. One advantage is that, as it would be underground, it wouldn't be an
eyesore.

I don't know of this might be useful for ideas:
http://www.freewateruk.co.uk/Intro-r...-recycling.htm

--
Crazy Dog
(Realising rain- and grey-water recycling will become increasingly

Old 08-03-2006, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

shazzbat wrote:

Doh, I forgot to put the link in. Here you can see the stuff I've made from
junk, including my watering system for the greenhouse. All the stuff you see
came from skips, scrap metal, and friendly plumbers.

http://photos.wanadoo.co.uk/album/1454062

Love the greenhouse watering system. I've been contemplating something
similar myself, but to water plants in growbags, pots or standing in trays.

James
Old 08-03-2006, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

Chris Bacon wrote:
James Fidell wrote:

My problem however, is what to store the water in. I can find people
selling large water containers or IBCs (a metre-cube plastic container
in a steel mesh) fairly cheaply on that interweb thing, but the
delivery costs are more that the price of the container.

What's the approximate cost?

I've seen 1000l containers for less than £30, but delivery is often as
much as £50 per unit. If I'm looking for three, it starts getting
expensive

Anyone have other ideas for bulk water storage? (Or possible sources
for containers that might be reachable from the Taunton area, I guess,
so I can take my trailer and pick them up myself.)

Make your own using 4x2 timber, 3/4" WBP ply, and fibreglass
matting.

Certainly has possibilities.

James
Old 08-03-2006, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

Crazy Dog wrote:

One of those flask-shaped cess-pools? Might be expensive to buy and install,
though. One advantage is that, as it would be underground, it wouldn't be an
eyesore.

Certainly that would have the capacity. Be a sod to install here,
though -- we're just off the top of a hill and in most places there's no
more than a couple of feet of soil before you get to solid rock.

I don't know of this might be useful for ideas:
http://www.freewateruk.co.uk/Intro-r...-recycling.htm

Not seen that one before. Thanks.

James
Old 08-03-2006, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown

James Fidell wrote:

I've been pondering on high-volume water storage for watering the veggie
plot for some time. I'm thinking about several thousand litres,
collected over the winter from run-off (which handily all ends up in a
single pipe to which I have easy access).

The one in my greenhouse was cast in concrete about 4" thick and against
two corner walls on a pretty hefty 10" thick concrete foundation. If I
was doing it I would probably go for something similar but use butyl
liner as well. The water tended to find weak spots in the concrete from
time to time (usually after a hard frost has iced it up).

My problem however, is what to store the water in. I can find people
selling large water containers or IBCs (a metre-cube plastic container
in a steel mesh) fairly cheaply on that interweb thing, but the delivery
costs are more that the price of the container.

Anyone have other ideas for bulk water storage? (Or possible sources for
containers that might be reachable from the Taunton area, I guess, so I
can take my trailer and pick them up myself.)

Can't you find old apple juice containers there?

Pumps sold for solar power operation are excellent for supplying drip
and spray irrigation from a static bulk water supply. Needs a stocking
over the inlet to stop misquito larvae from clogging the jets.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 08-03-2006, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from James Fidell contains these words:

I've been pondering on high-volume water storage for watering the veggie
plot for some time. I'm thinking about several thousand litres,
collected over the winter from run-off (which handily all ends up in a
single pipe to which I have easy access).

My problem however, is what to store the water in. I can find people
selling large water containers or IBCs (a metre-cube plastic container
in a steel mesh) fairly cheaply on that interweb thing, but the delivery
costs are more that the price of the container.

Anyone have other ideas for bulk water storage? (Or possible sources for
containers that might be reachable from the Taunton area, I guess, so I
can take my trailer and pick them up myself.)

If you have any food manufacturer who is likely to use orange or lemon
concentrate/pulp, you can usually get huge screwtop black polythene
bottles for a small amount. (They tend to sell at auction for between
ten and twenty pounds each.)

Example at http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/ad/squashbockle.jpg

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 08-03-2006, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Chris Bacon wrote:
James Fidell wrote:

Anyone have other ideas for bulk water storage? (Or possible sources
for containers that might be reachable from the Taunton area, I guess,
so I can take my trailer and pick them up myself.)

Make your own using 4x2 timber, 3/4" WBP ply, and fibreglass
matting.

Certainly has possibilities.

Why use fibreglass? (Expensive, and may contaminate the water with solvents.)

Make the wooden frame (old pallets), acquire some of that plastic woven
fabric fertilisers come in, use that for support, and line the thing
with thick black polythene. (But don't secure the top until it's full of
water!)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 08-03-2006, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Crazy Dog wrote:

One of those flask-shaped cess-pools? Might be expensive to buy and
install,
though. One advantage is that, as it would be underground, it
wouldn't be an
eyesore.

Certainly that would have the capacity. Be a sod to install here,
though -- we're just off the top of a hill and in most places there's no
more than a couple of feet of soil before you get to solid rock.

Ah! Gunpowder! Molish your own cistern with nearby rockery, 'ruin' and
grotto...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 08-03-2006, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

If you have any food manufacturer who is likely to use orange or lemon
concentrate/pulp, you can usually get huge screwtop black polythene
bottles for a small amount. (They tend to sell at auction for between
ten and twenty pounds each.)

Example at http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/ad/squashbockle.jpg

Two or three of those would be absolutely perfect, I reckon. Now to
work out who might be using them...

james
Old 09-03-2006, 12:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman

Last year B&Q warehouse were selling off water storage containers, these
were about 4 foot high, with tap near base, only about £15 each, with enough
space these can be linked with plastic water pipe to fill all from your
source.
cant find a link on net for these on B&Q website so best telephone and ask.
regards
Cineman