Old 10-03-2006, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

Default Okra

Anyone have tips on growing okra? I bought a packet of seed more out of
interest than anything else and had read that they're considered
difficult to germinate, but so far eleven of the fifteen seeds I planted
have sprung out of the compost in the last two days and are already two
inches high.

James
Old 11-03-2006, 03:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

Oh yes, I think I read that you are supposed to soak the seeds in water for
several hours before planting, but you have had pretty good luck the way you
did it.

Let several pods mature. They get hard, turn brown, and start splitting.
When that happens, cut them off and let them finish drying out. Then you
have seeds for next year.

"Dwayne" wrote in message
Give them lots of sun and water when it is dry. They survive with a lot
less water than most.

Harvest them then they are still soft (usually a couple inches long,
depending on which type you have), wash them, slice them, roll them in
flour or cornmeal, and fry them till brown. They are also very good
pickled.

You can also cut them and put them in soup/stew/gumbo and they are good
that way. If you are into canning, contact me and I will give you my
recipe on canning them. It is very easy and doesn't take as long as hot
bathing other items.

Dwayne

Old 11-03-2006, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
"Dwayne" wrote in message
"James Fidell" wrote in message
Anyone have tips on growing okra?

Give them lots of sun and water when it is dry. They survive with a lot
less water than most.

. Your Kansas summers are considerably hotter and sunnier than the UK
:-) I'm not sure okra is a reliable outdoor garden crop all over the
UK. Maybe in the southern counties.

Not even here, in a polytunnel :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"James Fidell" wrote in message
Anyone have tips on growing okra? I bought a packet of seed more out of
interest than anything else and had read that they're considered
difficult to germinate, but so far eleven of the fifteen seeds I planted
have sprung out of the compost in the last two days and are already two
inches high.

James

Okra ? Too Wintry.

michael adams

Old 12-03-2006, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dwayne writes
He has the seeds and the plants, maybe he will be lucky enough to get them
to produce. They can get tall so I would put them on a protected sunny side
of the yard.

In the UK, okra are much like aubergines and sweet peppers - ie you have
very little chance outside and not guaranteed success indoors.

I enjoy growing things here that aren't supposed to be grown here. I moved
here from Arkansas, and have been growing sweet potatoes. They are supposed
to be grown in the south, not here. I have gotten some every year so far.
They aren't as big or as many as when I lived in Arkansas, but they are just
as good. I have raised pumpkins and winter squash that come from Australia.
Everyone I've given them to seems to have enjoyed them.
Gardening could be boring if you couldn't try something new once in a while.

You need *some* chance of success. There's not a lot of variety in
*everything* you trying dying.
--
Kay

Old 12-03-2006, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Janet Baraclough" wrote after

"James Fidell" asked
Anyone have tips on growing okra?

and "Dwayne" replied..
Give them lots of sun and water when it is dry. They survive with a
lot
less water than most.

. Your Kansas summers are considerably hotter and sunnier than the UK
:-) I'm not sure okra is a reliable outdoor garden crop all over the
UK. Maybe in the southern counties.

We tried some outside a few years ago on the allotment, it was a good summer
for the UK and I live just S. of the Thames, but they did nothing, sulked
all summer, refused to grow as they should (seen fields of them abroad), and
we got only two rubbish fruit off the lot.
We have and do grown aubergines*, peppers*, chillies, and toms outside
successfully. (* in good years)
Might be better under Glass/Polytunnel but somehow I doubt it.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden