Old 14-03-2006, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Does anyone know the best way to remove green algae from my decking?????

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

saralove999 wrote:
Thanks very much for all your helpful comments - I think I will go with
the power washer, being a lazy sort it sounds the most effortless way of
removing the green gunge and I like to try to be conscious of the
environment so dont fancy bunging loads of noxious chemicals on it.

HOORAY!! Sold another power washer rub hands

Yes indeed. Let's just hope the OP gets a chance to use it before
Thames Water's* soon to be introduced hosepipe ban comes into effect.

"Timing is everything" as they say.

michael adams

*The OP having stated that she was posting from London.

Actually, I don't sell them ) But you'll have a lot of fun with it
and wear sensible shoes or it'll remove your nail polish ... !

Old 14-03-2006, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Space

"JennyC" wrote in message

"saralove999" wrote in message

Hi,

My name is Sara and I live in London. Im new to this forum and new to
gardening, ive just got a place with a garden, which is mostly decking
- it is covered with nasty green stuff (I think its algae) which is
very tenacious and resists my attemps to kill it off. Ive tried a
scrubbing brush (very labour intensive, took my half a day and sore
knees!)and decking cleaner (only removed a little bit). I think I
might need some sort of high power water jet but I dont know if that
will destroy the decking. Please help!

Powerwasher or elbow grease :~)
A washer will be OK unless the wood is rotten
Only scrub after prolong rainfall. This softens the algae

I see the general consensus is a power washer - what size motor would you
all recommend?

I need it for the same reason as the OP.

I have seen a couple on e-bay
1700w
2000w (this is twice the price as the 1700w)

what would you recommend?

TIA
Sue
(a water ban not likely in the North West)

Old 14-03-2006, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

JennyC wrote:

Ummmm .......doesn't the grain go all the way throught the planks ?

Off course it does - it's wood. The trick is to eliminate the water and
drain the wood as much as possible. But that's called common sense and
today I can't be bothered with pedant nonsense for the sake of scoring
points.

Now, as a professional power washer user expert and all, I'm telling
you, the use of the water gun really goes to your head. I cannot tell
you how remarkable piece of equipment this machine is. Which is quite
strange since I wouldn't allow one machine/gadget into my kitchen. But
in the garden, *that* washer is the beesnees. Now I understand how it
feels to write your name in the snow ... ;o)

Old 14-03-2006, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Space wrote:
I see the general consensus is a power washer - what size motor would you
all recommend?
I need it for the same reason as the OP.
I have seen a couple on e-bay
1700w
2000w (this is twice the price as the 1700w)
what would you recommend?

I'll see what I've got at home. It's a little machine but not a clue
what it is. I'll tell you later on today.

Sue
(a water ban not likely in the North West)

Indeed ! Look at today )

La Puce (Manchester)

Old 14-03-2006, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Space

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'll see what I've got at home. It's a little machine but not a clue
what it is. I'll tell you later on today.

Sue
(a water ban not likely in the North West)

Indeed ! Look at today )

La Puce (Manchester)

Thinking about it - I wonder if it is motor power or bar pressure that I
need to know...... oh I am such a girl at times!

Sue (Liverpool)

Old 14-03-2006, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Space wrote:
Thinking about it - I wonder if it is motor power or bar pressure that I
need to know...... oh I am such a girl at times!
Sue (Liverpool)

Liverpool - lovely Liverpool and lovely Stefton park. Went to see Sarah
Luca's exhibition - and the Psychadelic one. Wonderful. We're
organising the Archi week there. Hoping to put lots of fillms on too
(about cities). I lived there for a while, at the Adelphi. But that's
another story...

My washer is called Wolf and it's 1500w. It's largely enough to clean
green stuff off outside furnitures, steps, everything which needs
cleaning. It's very light, leaks a bit, noisy, but that's machines for
you. My neighbour uses it to clean his van once in a while. It amuses
the kids in the street greatly )

Old 14-03-2006, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Space

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Space wrote:
Thinking about it - I wonder if it is motor power or bar pressure that I
need to know...... oh I am such a girl at times!
Sue (Liverpool)

Liverpool - lovely Liverpool and lovely Stefton park. Went to see Sarah
Luca's exhibition - and the Psychadelic one. Wonderful. We're
organising the Archi week there. Hoping to put lots of fillms on too
(about cities). I lived there for a while, at the Adelphi. But that's
another story...

My washer is called Wolf and it's 1500w. It's largely enough to clean
green stuff off outside furnitures, steps, everything which needs
cleaning. It's very light, leaks a bit, noisy, but that's machines for
you. My neighbour uses it to clean his van once in a while. It amuses
the kids in the street greatly )

do you know, i've never been to sefton park. i live north liverpool. maybe
i should go.

i have since bought one - i sourced one cheaper and better than the ones
offered on e-bay.

2000w, 160 bars (i think) £50 LX Direct