Old 17-03-2006, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Default Is it mice?

I keep bird seed and peanuts in my garage. This year on tidying up I
have found several caches of peanuts and shredded kitchen roll, which I
also keep in the garage. Am I correct in assuming this is the work of
mice? I must say that I have never spotted one, nor droppings. As I
also store my potatoes there in paper sacks I guess it will only be a
while before they start on those. :-(
Old 17-03-2006, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Broadback
writes
I keep bird seed and peanuts in my garage. This year on tidying up I
have found several caches of peanuts and shredded kitchen roll, which I
also keep in the garage. Am I correct in assuming this is the work of
mice? I must say that I have never spotted one, nor droppings. As I
also store my potatoes there in paper sacks I guess it will only be a
while before they start on those. :-(

Sounds like mice or rats but it's strange there are no droppings. You
need to get shot of them pronto. Depending on where you live, the local
council may deal with them - our wonderful council has stopped
--
June Hughes
Old 17-03-2006, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Broadback" wrote
I keep bird seed and peanuts in my garage. This year on tidying up I
have found several caches of peanuts and shredded kitchen roll, which I
also keep in the garage. Am I correct in assuming this is the work of
mice? I must say that I have never spotted one, nor droppings. As I
also store my potatoes there in paper sacks I guess it will only be a
while before they start on those. :-(

Very probably mice. The dropping are only about the size of a rice grain
so you could easily miss the signs. Not only do they pilfer bird seed
and peanuts, they'll also have a go at plastic e.g. a bike seat, as I
found out a few years ago when we didn't evict one resident rodent soon
enough from the garage. Cable and wiring can be at risk too.

--
Sue

Old 17-03-2006, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:08:49 +0000, Broadback wrote:

I keep bird seed and peanuts in my garage. This year on tidying up I
have found several caches of peanuts and shredded kitchen roll, which I
also keep in the garage. Am I correct in assuming this is the work of
mice?

Sounds very much like it. Odd that there is no poo about, mice tend to
poo and eat at the same time. I assume you do know what mouse poo looks
like? Small elongated black cylindrical ovals about 1/16" dia and 3/16"
long. Rat poo is a similar shape but bigger 3/16" dia and 1/2" long.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 18-03-2006, 07:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Sounds like it mice to me

I found a nest in my shed recently . The little buggers had eaten one
of those rafia beach mats that I had stored in the shed and some other
bits and pieces inc the cover to my kids sun tent. They also had a go
at my big tent , thank god they couldn't get through the bag which is
quite tough as that would have been very expensive to replace.

Anyway what you need is a cat. We were cursing ours because she kept
bringing in dead mice which meant us cleaning them up and all the blood
etc ( not nice when you have a baby crawling around !) but now I have
forgiven her as I think she cleared out the whole nest and they are no
more

Old 18-03-2006, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Gardening_Convert wrote:
Sounds like it mice to me

I found a nest in my shed recently . The little buggers had eaten one
of those rafia beach mats that I had stored in the shed and some other
bits and pieces inc the cover to my kids sun tent. They also had a go
at my big tent , thank god they couldn't get through the bag which is
quite tough as that would have been very expensive to replace.

Anyway what you need is a cat. We were cursing ours because she kept
bringing in dead mice which meant us cleaning them up and all the blood
etc ( not nice when you have a baby crawling around !) but now I have
forgiven her as I think she cleared out the whole nest and they are no
more

" Anyway what you need is a cat."
Wash your mouth out GC, half the people here spend their lives trying to
exclude them!;-) Thanks all, I was afraid as much, I will give the
garage a good clean out ASAP.
Old 18-03-2006, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Broadback wrote:
I keep bird seed and peanuts in my garage. This year on tidying up I
have found several caches of peanuts and shredded kitchen roll, which
I also keep in the garage. Am I correct in assuming this is the work
of mice? I must say that I have never spotted one, nor droppings. As
I also store my potatoes there in paper sacks I guess it will only be
a while before they start on those. :-(

It's mice, highly unlikely to be rats IMO, and you can't get rid of them
until you remove the food source, you can kill them, trap them and whatever
you like but you are only making way for a new batch until you remove their
food.

Old 18-03-2006, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Liquorice

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 09:10:48 +0000, Broadback wrote:

Thanks all, I was afraid as much, I will give the garage a good clean
out ASAP.

And make sure that your supplies of bird food etc are inside metal
containers rather than bags and that you clear up any spills immediatly.
When having you good clean (to find all the stashes) block up any holes
that are larger than 3/8" in dia as well.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 18-03-2006, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Broadback" wrote in message
Gardening_Convert wrote:
[...]

I have *five* cats and *mice*;-)

Mice blasted mice Broadback[_2_] United Kingdom 42 22-12-2009 07:06 PM
Mice problem with wood stalks bthache Gardening 6 26-03-2003 05:08 PM
mice mick United Kingdom 10 22-03-2003 11:29 AM
Re. Mice Jeffery United Kingdom 0 18-12-2002 09:56 AM
Mice eating crocus Jeffery United Kingdom 9 05-12-2002 05:08 PM