Old 20-03-2006, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Default Looking after seedlings while on holiday

I've just pricked out several seedlings and have them in 3 different
unheated propogators (with lids) in the conservatory.

I will be going on holiday on Wednesday for 7 days . Do you think
as long as they are well water before I leave that they will survive 7
days without any attention . Or should I try and leave them with
someone while I'm away ?

I'm just concerned as I think I should be starting to let air in etc
but I don't want to do that in case they dry out

What do you think

Old 20-03-2006, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

I'm just concerned as I think I should be starting to let air in etc
but I don't want to do that in case they dry out

What do you think

you could try this:
get a bucket of water, stand it near the seedlings, get a towel, soak the
towel, put one end of the wet towel into the bucket (weigh it down if nec),
spread teh rest of the towel out and stand the seedlings on it. In theory
the towel will stay wet by soaking up all the water (it works by capillary
action, not gravity) and the seedlings will then stay damp by soaking water
up off the towel.

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 20-03-2006, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sla#s

"H Ryder" wrote in message
I'm just concerned as I think I should be starting to let air in etc
but I don't want to do that in case they dry out

What do you think

you could try this:
get a bucket of water, stand it near the seedlings, get a towel, soak the
towel, put one end of the wet towel into the bucket (weigh it down if
nec),
spread teh rest of the towel out and stand the seedlings on it. In theory
the towel will stay wet by soaking up all the water (it works by capillary
action, not gravity) and the seedlings will then stay damp by soaking
water
up off the towel.

The problem with that method I found was that it emptied too quickly. I
found a better way was to use capillary matting but in the supply bowl put a
upside-down jug with a slight gap, (wine making works well,) then it only
supplies when the matting starts to dry. The supply bowl level must be below
the base of the pots.

Slatts

Old 20-03-2006, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gardening_Convert writes
I've just pricked out several seedlings and have them in 3 different
unheated propogators (with lids) in the conservatory.

I will be going on holiday on Wednesday for 7 days . Do you think
as long as they are well water before I leave that they will survive 7
days without any attention . Or should I try and leave them with
someone while I'm away ?

I'm just concerned as I think I should be starting to let air in etc
but I don't want to do that in case they dry out

If they're in a conservatory, it depends entirely on the weather. A week
of cloud, and you'll probably be OK. A sunny day, and the temperature
could rocket.

If it were me, I would move them to an east or north facing windowsill,
water them well, and leave the lids on with no ventilation. Not
guaranteed success, but it's what I usually do when away for a week.

Only you know whether that will be more reliable than the person you
have in mind.
--
Kay
Old 20-03-2006, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Gardening_Convert wrote:
Or should I try and leave them with
someone while I'm away ?

That is your best bet. They need turning around if they get too much
light on one side, they need water if they dry out on an unexpected
warm day (and that you simply cannot predict). You've been given lots
of idea, but I feel these are for more mature plants than seedlings. I
feel involved now - give them to a neighbour or friend please, or I'll
just have to call the NSPCP ;o)

Old 20-03-2006, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete

Sla#s wrote:
"H Ryder" wrote in message
[...]

B&Q sell propagators with a water resevoir and capillary matting. I used one
last year for my toms.
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 21-03-2006, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Steve Harris

I have used the following technique:

1. Start a couple of days before you leave.
2. Get an empty 2 litre bottle with that 5-lobed moulding on the bottom
as used for soft drinks, beer, etc.
3. Put seedlings, plants etc in a tray but leave enough space for the
bottle upright.
4. Put about 1/2" of water in the tray.
5. Cut a hole about 1/2" in diameter very close to the bottom of the
bottle.
6. Block the hole with a finger, fill the bottle with water and replace
the cap
7. Place the bottle upright in the tray and take your finger away.
8. A little water should trickle out and some air bubbles go in.
9. A day or two later, check that the level in the bottle has fallen
slightly.
10. Any trouble with steps 8 & 9, enlarge the hole.

Consider using several bottles if the weather may be hot or the holiday
extended.

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/
Old 21-03-2006, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
[...]

11.) Endure wrath of entire family because you missed holiday flight whilst
trying to enlarge a hole.