Old 24-03-2006, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jupiter

Default cat scarers

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 12:12:38 -0500, Sheldon Harper
wrote:

"stevej" wrote in :

Hi

Does anyone have any experience with sonic cat scarers ? - any other
suggestions welcome

cheers

The absolutely best cat scarer is a dead cat. They
won't go anywhere near it.

They attract corvids and noisy squabbling crows and the like are not
an attractive garden feature either.
Old 24-03-2006, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jupiter

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:09:36 GMT, "someone here"
wrote:

"stevej" wrote in message
Hi

Does anyone have any experience with sonic cat scarers ? - any other
suggestions welcome

cheers

Yes I have an ultrasonic scarer.
My sons can hear it as a whine, giving them a headache.
The cats just poke their nose into the speaker and treat it with total
disdain.

YMMV

Dave

One works for me and no-one of any age has said that they can hear it.
Mine's combined with a detector so it doesn't sound continuously. I
watched a cat venture on to one of my seed beds, look up very startled
and rapidly depart.
Old 24-03-2006, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

someone here wrote:
Latent toxoplasmosis, conjunctivits, salmonella and worms are all carried by
animals
and are capapble of being transferred to humans.
That is the problem I have.
Protecting the children I look after from this problem is my difficulty.
Oh yes and there is the smell. I can't stands the smell.

You know that all the above 'problems' that cat feces bring, you also
get by eating raw meat, old eggs and sharing make up. To reassure you,
I've had children for 16 years, and I have 3 cats, 5 at one point, and
two dogs, 3 at one point, and none of my children nor their friends
have had problems. There's no allergies, there's no ahsma, in fact I
beleive that the more you live with pets the stronger your immune
system. I'm not house proud, nor I vaccum everyday, nor dust, nor spray
chemicals cleaning products all over the place etc. I collect the cats
pooh around my property when I see it and just bin it.

Get these plants - they seem to work a treat according to many people
here. You could put them around the boundaries you're mentioning. And
good luck )

http://www.buckingham-nurseries.co.u...uct_54609.html

Old 24-03-2006, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan

In message .com, La
Puce wrote

. I collect the cats
pooh around my property when I see it and just bin it.

Including that your cats leave with the neighbours?

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 24-03-2006, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

in fact I beleive that the more you live with pets the stronger
your immune system.

Indeed. It's believed that it was the European's close proximity to
domesticated animals in a farming environment back home that turned
them into immune carriers for the pathogens with which they infected
the more nomadic Native Americans Indians, to such devastating
effect. *

Although on the other hand, IIRR animals have also been the carriers
for the all the plague vectors and viruses responsible for the
most deadly pandemics in human beings.

michael adams

*Guns and Germs and Steel Jared Diamond.

** stretching a point, fortuitous immunity in a first generation
may have become a selective genetic trait.

Old 24-03-2006, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone here

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
snip
I collect the cats
pooh around my property when I see it and just bin it.

Don't move to Shropshire then.
pooh is a prohibited item in dustbins.
And yes the bins are checked for smell
and yes people lose the 'privilege' of having their bins collected.

Dave

Old 24-03-2006, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone here

"Jupiter" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:09:36 GMT, "someone here"
wrote:

snip sonic alarm stuff
One works for me and no-one of any age has said that they can hear it.
Mine's combined with a detector so it doesn't sound continuously. I
watched a cat venture on to one of my seed beds, look up very startled
and rapidly depart.

Motion detector sounds like a good idea.
Mine is/was a constant.

I can't hear it, but I have lost a lot of the top end of my hearing
over the last five years.

Dave

Old 25-03-2006, 09:02 AM
Aly Aly is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej
Hi Steve
I LOVE cats but HATE them messing in my garden. I have cats.
I've got loads of humane suggestions (not like some people)!

I hate cats, but am looking for humane suggestions. I don't believe in
spoiling other folks pleasure it's a shame most cat owners dont reciprocate.

1. Best way to get rid of them is to get one of your own (Not kidding)
(That probably won't happen, if you don't already have one so here
goes)

Not likely

Dry out some USED tea bags and spray with ralgex (or similar stinking
muscle spray) not the low odour sprays you get. Bury the tea bags a
couple of inches in the soil. (works for a few weeks). I just save all
the tea bags and have a constant supply.

This is a new one to me, thanks

My mother has a terrible problem with cats so I got some plants called
Coleus Canina (Scardy cat Plant). They are only annuals, and not that
cheap (but you can take cuttings) There is no scent to the human unless
rubbed and cats cannot stand the stench. I placed the plants (in pots)
on parts of the garden where the problem is. These plants are not easy
to get a hold off. Don't think you can mention websites here, but if
you get in touch I can give you mail order address.

Thanks, I have seen them in a garden centre I know, I think they are
commonly called 'pee off' plants.

In saying all that, I have a border in my garden especially for my cats
where I have grown Nepeta (catmint) and some ornamental grasses. I don;t
have a problem with my own cat fowling, it's my neighbours.

That seems to be the way, cats don't mess on there own patch

I study horticulture at college and nearly all of the people at college
have cats. It's weird, but most of the famous gardners have cats as well
and it doesn't bother them (Alan Tichmarsh loves his cat).

Probably because it solves the problem as you suggested in (1)

Many thanks for your thoughts

Steve
You could also try pruning some bits of really prickly shrubs (like berberis) and sticking them in the soil. This seems to work as well
Good luck
Cheers
Alison
Old 27-03-2006, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"stevej" wrote in message
Hi

Does anyone have any experience with sonic cat scarers ? - any other
suggestions welcome

Run out into the garden waving your arms and shouting when you see them,
works every time!(:-)

Alan

Old 27-03-2006, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Alan Holmes wrote:

Run out into the garden waving your arms and shouting when you see them,
works every time!(:-)

Ah! This is called testiculating: waving your arms around and talking
bollox )

Old 21-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej View Post
Hi

Does anyone have any experience with sonic cat scarers ? - any other
suggestions welcome

cheers

Steve
I've used a cat scarer like the one on the cat scarers website. It worked well eventually, but for a time I was tempted to get rid of it because it didn't have any effect. If you try one out, I would persevere with it as apparently it can take a while for the unwelcome cats to get the message!
Old 26-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Registered User

Location: London

You can always buy one of the large water pistols that fire 30 feet this would scare them off.
gardening for children
Old 26-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Registered User

I have tried these bont find they do not work to well. I still get cats in my garden maybe there are different types available but the one i have bought dont seem to do the job

Making bird-scarers from old CDs... AL_n United Kingdom 5 03-04-2012 11:09 AM
Cat Scarers Baz[_3_] United Kingdom 124 13-11-2010 10:49 AM
bird scarers bob[_5_] United Kingdom 4 01-05-2010 07:28 PM
Sonic Rabbit scarers [email protected] United Kingdom 0 20-06-2006 09:58 AM
heron/cat scarers..question Tumbleweed United Kingdom 5 26-04-2004 11:08 AM