Old 02-04-2012, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Making bird-scarers from old CDs...

I'm thinking of making some CD bird scarers to keep the birds off my
seedlings. Has anyone found this effective? Can you offer any tips on how
best to costruct the said scarers? I imagine they would be most effective
if they are free to swivel and spin with the least amount of air movement,
yes?

Many thanks,

Al
Old 02-04-2012, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2 Apr 2012 10:28:02 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

I'm thinking of making some CD bird scarers to keep the birds off my
seedlings. Has anyone found this effective? Can you offer any tips on how
best to costruct the said scarers? I imagine they would be most effective
if they are free to swivel and spin with the least amount of air movement,
yes?

Many thanks,

Al

Have a look at
http://www.ehow.co.uk/video_4950652_...s-old-cds.html

Works better if you stick two back to back so shiny sides out as it's
the light reflective effect that seems to work most. However, IME
birds get used to them and will eventually ignore them. If you move
them about now and again they seem to become scared again for a while.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the east end of the totally
dry and sunny Swansea Bay.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote in
:

http://www.ehow.co.uk/video_4950652_...s-old-cds.html

Thanks, Jake. What I've now done is to make individula bird-scarers using
3ft bamboos. I tied a 1ft length of elastic thread to one end of the
bamboo, and tied a CD to the ither end of the thread. I stuck the bamboo
into the ground, at a 60-degree angle, so that the CD can dangle freely. I
now have several of these and the advantage of this method is that they can
be moved around, as required. We'll see how well it works. Good idea about
sticking two back-to-back.

Al
Old 02-04-2012, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2 Apr 2012 14:01:46 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

Jake wrote in
:

http://www.ehow.co.uk/video_4950652_...s-old-cds.html

Thanks, Jake. What I've now done is to make individula bird-scarers using
3ft bamboos. I tied a 1ft length of elastic thread to one end of the
bamboo, and tied a CD to the ither end of the thread. I stuck the bamboo
into the ground, at a 60-degree angle, so that the CD can dangle freely. I
now have several of these and the advantage of this method is that they can
be moved around, as required. We'll see how well it works. Good idea about
sticking two back-to-back.

Al

The fox loved playing with the ones we had on our site.

My OH is experimenting with plastic bottle windmills at the moment
http://www.instructables.com/id/Wind...-wind-turbine/

Not sure if they'll work - but we have some bright paint somewhere to
apply.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 03-04-2012, 07:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 2, 11:28*am, "AL_n" wrote:
I'm thinking of making some CD bird scarers to keep the birds off my
seedlings. Has anyone found this effective? Can you offer any tips on how
best to costruct the said scarers? I imagine they would be most effective
if they are free to swivel and spin with the least amount of air movement,
yes?

Many thanks,

Al

Like all bird scarers, works for a while. Then the perishers get used
to it and ignore it. You have to keep changing to something
completely different.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

harry wrote in news:63d9834f-89bd-430f-8759-
:

Like all bird scarers, works for a while. Then the perishers get used
to it and ignore it. You have to keep changing to something
completely different.

I'm hoping that by the time the local birds get wise to them, the seedlings
will have grown too big to appeal.

Al

Effective bird scarers - Update Woodworm United Kingdom 12 15-07-2014 12:27 PM
Effective bird scarers Woodworm United Kingdom 27 01-07-2014 01:40 PM
bird scarers bob[_5_] United Kingdom 4 01-05-2010 07:28 PM
heron/cat scarers..question Tumbleweed United Kingdom 5 26-04-2004 11:08 AM
If a geezer can't call a bird a bird what can he call a bird? Peter Gregson Gardening 9 05-11-2003 10:02 PM