Old 24-03-2006, 01:19 AM
Registered User

Location: Guildford, Surrey, UK
Default Pepper Seeds

Can peppers be grown from supermarket pepper seeds??
Old 24-03-2006, 02:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gary Woods

tvrchimaera wrote:

Can peppers be grown from supermarket pepper seeds??

Most likely yes, but you won't know the variety, whether it's a hybrid that
won't breed true, or how it will do in your locale.
Seeds are cheap; land and time are not.

Just my opinion...
Old 24-03-2006, 07:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Neil Tonks

"tvrchimaera" wrote in message

Can peppers be grown from supermarket pepper seeds??

I've tried this a couple of times, just out of interest to see what would
happen, and have never got any of the seeds to germinate. Perhaps they
aren't mature enough at the point the peppers are harvested.

--
Neil

Visit my Peak District walking website - www.peakwalking.co.uk

Old 24-03-2006, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stevej

Can peppers be grown from supermarket pepper seeds??

I got some quite cheap off ebay recently, along with instructions etc

HTH
Steve

Old 24-03-2006, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JB

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 07:20:14 -0000, "Neil Tonks"
wrote:

"tvrchimaera" wrote in message

Can peppers be grown from supermarket pepper seeds??

I've tried this a couple of times, just out of interest to see what would
happen, and have never got any of the seeds to germinate. Perhaps they
aren't mature enough at the point the peppers are harvested.

I've done this several times in the past, always with reasonable
success. I'm trying bouth seed, saved seed from last year and seed
from a supermarket pepper this year just by way of comparison

Old 25-03-2006, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Holly, in France

JB wrote:
On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 07:20:14 -0000, "Neil Tonks"
wrote:

"tvrchimaera" wrote in
message ...

Can peppers be grown from supermarket pepper seeds??

I've tried this a couple of times, just out of interest to see what
would happen, and have never got any of the seeds to germinate.
Perhaps they aren't mature enough at the point the peppers are
harvested.

I've done this several times in the past, always with reasonable
success. I'm trying bouth seed, saved seed from last year and seed
from a supermarket pepper this year just by way of comparison

I have done all of that too in the past but I've never been organised
enough to note the results! AFAIR all have been successful in that they
have produced peppers of some sort anyway.

--
Holly, in France
Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool.